Please help - debating selling my R1S

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The two things that I wasn't a fan of before I got the car were the lights and the glass top. I have yet to find a car that is absolutely perfect so I went along. I like everything else about the car. If it's a huge deal-sell it. If not-drive on.
Sponsored

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
R1S - Adventure edition - Quad - Silver. 1850mi. 1/2 mo old

LOVE the Riv. LOVE IT!. But I cannot get over the way the front end looks. Hate the lights. So much so that I park it so that when I walk up to the vehicle I approach it from the back.

Is this feeling going to pass?
You love the Rivian. You bought it. Now you're complaining about the front end?
Your definition of love may just be a tad distorted.

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

I am OK with the front of the R1S. My situation is the car is giving me motion sickness. The ride is ruff. I paid a lot of sales tax and registration fees. I am driving it as mellow as I can but that does negates one of the things that makes the Rivian very special. I am going to stick it out for a while. I also find the seats only marginally comfortable. The car looses charge as it sits in the garage. I have a sunshade on order, must have in southern California. Take the ride for a while. If it doesn't give you a good feeling get something that does. Life is short. I like the looks of the car, you are king of the hill driving it with no need to prove it by driving fast. It is also super safe.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

As others have said, there's already ways to change the appearance of your front end. Personally I'm waiting on one of these:

Rivian R1T R1S Please help - debating selling my R1S 1693436088928

😉

Or you could do what this guy did:

Rivian R1T R1S Please help - debating selling my R1S 1693436139884

Just search the forums or use google. There's tons of ideas out there.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...My situation is the car is giving me motion sickness. The ride is ruff.....I also find the seats only marginally comfortable. The car looses charge as it sits in the garage...
I know this sounds counter intuitive but try setting the ride height to Low, and suspension to Stiff with either All Purpose or Sports.

My wife was feeling bit motion sick in the passenger seat until we changed the settings to above. We're on 405 all the time with R1S.

If you haven't tried the combo, give it a go and see how you feel.

Yeah the seat is just okay. The vent is nice but lacks lateral support.

There is a percent or two drain everyday just sitting with being unlocked with everything off. Hope Rivian gets it figured out. Reminds me of early days of Tesla where the drain was similar in the same garage...

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The front end looks cartoonish. The lights are probably the best functioning I have experienced. They are so bright and effective. and yeah you can definitely spot a Rivian when approaching on the road.

And you are all correct. "If you don't like it why did you buy it".

Look, the truck is amazing. The only problems i have is no CarPlay and the oval stadium shaped configuration. The light bar is sharp.
I’m not the best person to come up with a solution because I don’t see the problem, but if I rip a page out of more aggressive automotive design, maybe some creative use black wrap could give it more of an edge. I don’t know if something like this makes it better or worse for you, but I thought I’d give it a try (2 pieces of electrical tape for proof on concept) and snap a pic. If you mirrored it on the other side it would look appropriately scowl-like if you’re going for aggressive.
Rivian R1T R1S Please help - debating selling my R1S IMG_2756

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I know this sounds counter intuitive but try setting the ride height to Low, and suspension to Stiff with either All Purpose or Sports.

My wife was feeling bit motion sick in the passenger seat until we changed the settings to above. We're on 405 all the time with R1S.

If you haven't tried the combo, give it a go and see how you feel.

Yeah the seat is just okay. The vent is nice but lacks lateral support.

There is a percent or two drain everyday just sitting with being unlocked with everything off. Hope Rivian gets it figured out. Reminds me of early days of Tesla where the drain was similar in the same garage...
Exact settings I use to take the bounce out of it. If you're on relatively smooth roads it's great, and even on something a bit bumpy it trades sharper impacts for far less "bouncy" ones and it's often a good tradeoff. You're going to feel each bump more, but it's one and done, and quick successions of bumps don't set the whole vehicle rocking

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I personally like the front end, it looks friendly instead of overly masculine. The standard bro dozer testosterone mobile isn't an aesthetic that appeals to me personally.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I personally like the front end, it looks friendly instead of overly masculine. The standard bro dozer testosterone mobile isn't an aesthetic that appeals to me personally.
I agree. I was initially not a fan of the Rivian front (I called it the pig nostril look) but I have have come to like the distinctive look. I have had my R1S for same time as the OP and I have gotten at least four completely unsolicited compliments about the lights. (And I think it looks cool when I open the garage out back and it stares as me as if to say "of course I am ready".)

Rivian R1T R1S Please help - debating selling my R1S IMG_5702

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Exactly, the truck styling today seems to trend towards taller and aggressive bordering on menacing. I’m perfectly content with the Rivian styling and projecting a friendlier appearance to the people around me.

Jeeps from Wranglers to Renegades are apparently lacking in the aggression department to the point that Amazon has many options. Just search for angry eyes.
Rivian R1T R1S Please help - debating selling my R1S 1693437540151

These are basically the opposite of the giant plastic eyelashes for car headlights.
Rivian R1T R1S Please help - debating selling my R1S 1693437776525

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, Tesla 3
Occupation
Inspector

LOVE the Riv. LOVE IT!. But I cannot get over the way the front end looks. Hate the lights. So much so that I park it so that when I walk up to the vehicle I approach it from the back.

I felt the same way. It grew on me and almost a year later Im happy I keep it. Really love it! It's been a great vehicle.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired

Very strange that someone would purchase a high end and expensive vehicle and then decide they don't like the looks and would considering selling, I guess it's all relative but in my opinion you spend most of your time inside so if you like the interior and the way the vehicle performs I say keep it.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

But why'd you buy it if you don't like it? LOL
Sponsored