Sponsored

Why the efficiency graph is way off vs real efficiency.

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
So I do a 15 minute drive and I reset the trip meter first ...I drive the WHOLE time at above 2mi/kWh and average
2.2 based on the trip meter. However the efficiency meter (at 15 minutes) shows 1.61. To be fair the last data point is close to 2.2.

So what I think the efficiency meter does is average the last 15 minutes and THEN the bottom number is actually the average
of all these data points! So it is like the average of the trailing 15 minute data points....quite a lag!

Not very good feedback on how efficient you are driving! That's why I use the trip meter instead and reset frequently.

would be best to have the trip meters on center display to start with and don't get me started on Odometer

Rivian R1T R1S Why the efficiency graph is way off vs  real efficiency. IMG_2910

Rivian R1T R1S Why the efficiency graph is way off vs  real efficiency. IMG_2912
Sponsored

OP
OP

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't really ever need to know my up to the minute efficiency so this doesn't seem like a huge issue to me personally.
I don't know but I tend to use such graphs to drive more optimally and they are reflecting what I was doing for the last 15 minutes not the current efficiency.

There are other cases like with Teslas which do not even count the battery heating and climate towards the live or even accumulated consumption.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I don't know but I tend to use such graphs to drive more optimally and they are reflecting what I was doing for the last 15 minutes not the current efficiency.
That's fair. I bought my truck for the 835HP and when the roads are good it lives in sport mode. Efficiency isn't my primary concern. On a road trip it is, but I find the graph enough to get s somewhat accurate number for back checking my range to make sure I can make the next charger.

OP
OP

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's fair. I bought my truck for the 835HP and when the roads are good it lives in sport mode. Efficiency isn't my primary concern. On a road trip it is, but I find the graph enough to get s somewhat accurate number for back checking my range to make sure I can make the next charger.
The best way to check if you can make it to destination is to set it as a destination. I have not checked recently with the R1T but on Tesla is so accurate (takes all conditions ahead)

I think Rivian is great too or at least should since they use ABRP.

My other gripe is youtubers use that efficiency graph.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
The best way to check if you can make it to destination is to set it as a destination. I have not checked recently with the R1T but on Tesla is so accurate (takes all conditions ahead)

I think Rivian is great too or at least should since they use ABRP.

My other gripe is youtubers use that efficiency graph.
I do use the onboard software to set destinations and I use the math to back check a few times during the trip. I don't trust software 100%.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I think there is a benefit to seeing instantaneous power consumption as well as average over the past 10, 30 miles kind of data.

The right hand indicator of power consumption is good and hope Rivian implement "current drive" odometer data including power consumption one of these days...

The graph showing the average of the past 15 minutes is not great.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Perhaps one includes all electrical load including climate, and the other only the traction motors?

Rivian software looks good, but the beauty is only skin deep...

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That 15 mins thing is fun to look at but the most inaccurate thing ever. It is all over the place

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
The right most point (green area in your pic) of the graph is the current efficiency. That seems to be pretty accurate in my experience. Then there's the average of the last 15 mins of this (the entire current graph) calculated with the number at the bottom. This also seems to be pretty accurate in my experience. You can watch the efficiency line on the graph go down and up based on going up a hill and down the other side, or up when going 55 then way down when upping to 75 etc.

I do agree it would be nice to have even more data like actual current power consumption (even better if it was broken down into motors, heat/ac, and everything else..)

And yeah I still want a regular odometer and trip meter option on the driver display.

Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I've only had my T for a month and seems like 2.0ish plus a bit is going to be my efficiency. Cold under 20F is just under 2.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That 15 mins thing is fun to look at but the most inaccurate thing ever. It is all over the place
Is it inaccurate, or just high variance? For me, it swings whether I’m going uphill or downhill. In my area there are a lot of hills.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
It is totally off, mine as well (I think I posted a message about this 4-5 months ago). I tend to look only at Trip A data (after reset) - much more accurate IMHO.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
That 15 minute infographic has frustrated me - I cannot figure out what it is really telling me. I also prefer to keep that area in the auxiliary map display.

As for current "efficiency", I probably pay more attention to the super tiny graphic to the right of the shift indicator - that turns green and red and moves along the arc. That's near the area where you get a "thingee" after you get an reduced regen alert because battery is cold or full. You never get a message saying that you are no longer limited so you have to watch that to see when the "thingee" disappears.

Rivian sure would have benefited from having a skilled chief UI designer but that ship has long ago sailed.

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Perhaps one includes all electrical load including climate, and the other only the traction motors?

Rivian software looks good, but the beauty is only skin deep...
This is my theory. I've found the first 5 to 10 of a drive have very poor efficiency on the plot right now, and I think it's because it's cold out and the cabin is heating etc. Then it steadies out. Trip meter doesn't do that, so I'm guessing it's more of a motor measurement, literally the power that went in to moving the vehicle and nothing else.
Sponsored