Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Sharp angles limit the ampacity of wiring. They could engineer around this but it's not as simple as making a right angle. Plus the design would need to be model specific because most charge flaps open forward.
That’s a good point. I thought you might be able to use a large solid chunk of conductor inside the adaptor to get around that and the bed-radius limitations but that may be impossible, impractical for other reasons.

edited to add: this is not an insignificant amount of length. I’ve noticed that with the Magic Dock. The combined length of the NACS+adapter is such that you end up wasting a lot of cable length turning the assembly to plug it in. It would be neat if there was a technical solution offered by Rivian for that… though it sounds like Tesla is actually manufacturing these adapters.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
That’s a good point. I thought you might be able to use a large solid chunk of conductor inside the adaptor to get around that and the bed-radius limitations but that may be impossible, impractical for other reasons.

edited to add: this is not an insignificant amount of length. I’ve noticed that with the Magic Dock. The combined length of the NACS+adapter is such that you end up wasting a lot of cable length turning the assembly to plug it in. It would be neat if there was a technical solution offered by Rivian for that… though it sounds like Tesla is actually manufacturing these adapters.
At least Rivian's port is placed so close to the front which mitigates some of the length issues and makes charging with a trailer or bike carrier slightly easier.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I can also see where a full sc station will have an issue as people queue up. The next car in line can only replace one with a port on the same side. If a Tesla leaves, a Rivian can't use that spot and has to let a Tesla take it and vice versa. Alternative is to take the spot and wait for the vehicle on the left or right to also leave.

Gas stations have this too on the few that only allow entry from one side. Costco comes to mind except you pick the line for your side.

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
Does anyone have details on the pricing we’ll get charged for Tesla supercharging?
I would doubt it. I tried using the Tesla CCS Adapter they have for use at Tesla chargers with my Ford Charge Station Pro and it did not work. Feels like it is similar, but not sure it translates exactly. I did use the Tesla J1722 adapter (slightly modified due to the FCSP having a CCS style plug) and it worked as expected.

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
I would doubt it. I tried using the Tesla CCS Adapter they have for use at CCS(edit: typo here) chargers with my Ford Charge Station Pro and it did not work. Feels like it is similar, but not sure it translates exactly. I did use the Tesla J1722 adapter (slightly modified due to the FCSP having a CCS style plug) and it worked as expected.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I can also see where a full sc station will have an issue as people queue up. The next car in line can only replace one with a port on the same side. If a Tesla leaves, a Rivian can't use that spot and has to let a Tesla take it and vice versa. Alternative is to take the spot and wait for the vehicle on the left or right to also leave.

Gas stations have this too on the few that only allow entry from one side. Costco comes to mind except you pick the line for your side.
Costco dispensers are long enough to reach both sides, assuming you're ok with the hose rubbing on your paint.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Costco dispensers are long enough to reach both sides, assuming you're ok with the hose rubbing on your paint.
Our e46 is small enough to teach both sides at any gas station. Others are tougher

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
"Ford has sold 165,940 electric vehicles from December 2020 through January 2024", Rivian has sold roughly half that number since they started selling EV's... they should be able to handle the orders.

Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
My point is nobody is buying a Rivian to tow, of course they can tow.
I bought my R1T exclusively to tow.

For recreation, I drag my 30' Airstream from Vancouver Island down to Phoenix and points in between. Sure my usable range is between 100 and 120 miles but RAN chargers with pull-thrus are nice as are other DCFC's that aren't busy so I can angle into an end stall without unhooking. I've even gotten pretty adept at dropping the trailer when I need to. And if the DCFC is working properly I can charge in 30 minutes and be on my way -- which is just the right amount of time for my wife & I to have a bathroom break, grab some snacks and stretch our legs.

But you've only focused on long distance travel. You've overlooked using an R1T (and any EV) locally for work related jobs. Perhaps you've seen pickups pulling trailers for construction, lawn maintenance, deliveries, etc all of which tend to be local. With my R1T and a 10,000 lb hydraulic trailer I contract out deliveries in my local area to deliver lumber, cement block, and all sorts of bulk material like gravel or sand. Hauling a low profile trailer at city speeds increases my range up to 160 miles which is typically plenty for a full day. On those rare occasions where I need a midday charge I can do that at any DCFC during a lunch break. And the smaller vehicle size and independent wheel control of 4 electric motors allows me easy access to construction sites that can be problematic for an F-250 and its ilk.

It will take time to change people's thinking but with greater exposure folks will eventually come to realize the utility of electric trucks.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Thankfully the v4 chargers will have longer cables. Hopefully v3 chargers will have their cables replaced with longer ones when they need to be replaced for maintenance/failures.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Not too worried. It will work itself out. We just gonna need a lot more fast chargers in general. Tesla is currently instally 7-9k stalls per year in the US and selling about 1M vehicles per year.

srkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
First, Tesla owners park in every other stall out of habit since if you happen to be at an V2 SC you don't have to power share with neighbor
I park in every other stall out of habit because it’s weird to slide up right next to someone lol. Like picking the urinal right next to someone when there are other options…
Sponsored