tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

I park in every other stall out of habit because it’s weird to slide up right next to someone lol. Like picking the urinal right next to someone when there are other options…
It’s not weird at the urinal as long as you compliment their watch as you step in…
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Charging will be an issue at busy locations like most of the ones in Orange County, CA.

I am not sure it will be a huge issue when traveling though. I took my Model S on a 6500 mile trip this past January the majority of the Superchargers I used outside of California I was the only on charging or they were 75% empty. I also saw several (not the norm though) where there was access behind the chargers so pulling into the back solves the blocking issue.

Bottom line, busy areas will not be fun, other places the added access is welcomed.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Charging will be an issue at busy locations like most of the ones in Orange County, CA.

I am not sure it will be a huge issue when traveling though. I took my Model S on a 6500 mile trip this past January the majority of the Superchargers I used outside of California I was the only on charging or they were 75% empty. I also saw several (not the norm though) where there was access behind the chargers so pulling into the back solves the blocking issue.

Bottom line, busy areas will not be fun, other places the added access is welcomed.
Looks like about half in So Cal are currently open to other EVs … the issue will be that many CCS vehIcles will take 2 spots. I predict that this will anger Tesla owners at busy locations

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bo...527307&zoom=9&filters=supercharger,party,nacs

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Thankfully the v4 chargers will have longer cables. Hopefully v3 chargers will have their cables replaced with longer ones when they need to be replaced for maintenance/failures.
I don't suspect this will happen. Tesla won't like longer cables dragging on the ground. That will shorten their life even more and they've already given instruction on the procedure. They could probably upgrade V2 Control Boards to support CCS but they won't do that either. They are forward looking and will invest in more stations instead. They get detailed traffic telemetry from cars on the road as well as station load. Nobody else except rivian gets that data. EA and the others just have to guess.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Looks like about half in So Cal are currently open to other EVs … the issue will be that many CCS vehIcles will take 2 spots. I predict that this will anger Tesla owners at busy locations

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=35.37714326130365,-116.39489516527307,32.51597542126968,-119.20739516527307&zoom=9&filters=supercharger,party,nacs
Smart and courteous thing to do will be to park next to other CCS cars to minimize others (Tesla) from being blocked.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=35.37714326130365,-116.39489516527307,32.51597542126968,-119.20739516527307&zoom=9&filters=supercharger,party,nacs
Other than testing to verify it works I doubt there will be very many scenarios where I would visit a Supercharger in SoCal in the Rivian. I use them all the time with my Tesla, in my experience there are not very many around here that are underutilized, would be more of a hassle than benefit to try to use them.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Just have to sell your soul to the devil when you plug in ;)
The only time we will be using DCFC is if we are on a road trip, otherwise, I will save my soul for other things.....LOL

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

For essential services, I am against monopolies. As such, I am very happy the Tesla chargers are open market. To me, it is a win, win. Rest assured, profit exists for Musk, since you know he needs it, right?
I will use the Tesla stations like any other, when needed based on price per Kw and functionality. Likely the Tesla stations are better than the others. Therefore, as per free market, the others will need to pony up and fix the problems. So, to that, Musk will end up having a good effect on the EV charging network, even if he was forced to do it by Biden.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

For essential services, I am against monopolies. As such, I am very happy the Tesla chargers are open market. To me, it is a win, win. Rest assured, profit exists for Musk, since you know he needs it, right?
I will use the Tesla stations like any other, when needed based on price per Kw and functionality. Likely the Tesla stations are better than the others. Therefore, as per free market, the others will need to pony up and fix the problems. So, to that, Musk will end up having a good effect on the EV charging network, even if he was forced to do it by Biden.
great comments.

When people ask me "How much does it cost to charge at a public charger?". I tell them that I do 99% of my charging at home which is cheaper than a DCFC. I will use DCFC when I have too and I am not loyal to any brand because electrons are electrons.

I do joke with people when they ask me "How many miles you get in that Rivian?". I look at them with all sincerity and say "depends on if I use premium electricity or just regular". They look puzzled at first, then laugh.

Sponsored

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

No Tesla chargers opening on the 800 mile stretch of I90 between Billings Mt. and Worthington Mn. -- Grump Grump
This whole route is showing open now on the Tesla map.

I noticed many other v3 superchargers that weren’t showing last week are showing now, at least in more remote areas.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This whole route is showing open now on the Tesla map.

I noticed many other v3 superchargers that weren’t showing last week are showing now, at least in more remote areas.
I've got no skin in the game on this route but I-90 isn't showing up for me. You'd have to go north to I-94 for this particular route.
Rivian R1T R1S ⚡️ Rivian announces: March Tesla Supercharger access & free NACS adapters! 1709583539505

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

I've got no skin in the game on this route but I-90 isn't showing up for me. You'd have to go north to I-94 for this particular route.
1709583539505.png
Ahh yes, I got the wrong route.

I did see several new chargers open that weren’t last week, the second Supercharger in Burley, Idaho and Two Harbors, Minnesota are two examples.

If anyone is hoping for a specific one I would keep checking.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
People, who don’t have EV’s, don’t understand/grasp the whole charging deal with an EV. It took me awhile, after getting my R1T, to realize it’s not like pulling into a gas station and filling up. In most cases, that is not what a EV owner does. Sometimes, I see price comparisons between EV public charging stations and gasoline. The comments may be that public charging doesn’t save that much versus gasoline. However, unless one primarily uses public charging stations, the question is moot. I charge at home and rarely use public charging. So, when I do, I really don’t much care what it costs, relative to gasoline. In the grand scheme of things, it represents such small percentage of my total energy usage that it has almost zero effect on my wallet.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

People, who don’t have EV’s, don’t understand/grasp the whole charging deal with an EV. It took me awhile, after getting my R1T, to realize it’s not like pulling into a gas station and filling up. In most cases, that is not what a EV owner does. Sometimes, I see price comparisons between EV public charging stations and gasoline. The comments may be that public charging doesn’t save that much versus gasoline. However, unless one primarily uses public charging stations, the question is moot. I charge at home and rarely use public charging. So, when I do, I really don’t much care what it costs, relative to gasoline. In the grand scheme of things, it represents such small percentage of my total energy usage that it has almost zero effect on my wallet.

Some people are just freaked out by the allocation for even the home charging. I have heard a lot of people say "but it will run up your electric bill!" For example, if someone had a $250 gasoline bill each month and $150 on electric and now they have a 0$ gasoline bill and a $190 electric bill it will give sticker shock to them.

Even though the math shows a net decrease in "energy" cost, they get nervous because they are used to the electric bill being a certain amount and they have already accepted the gasoline cost or don't see the expenditure as clearly (buried in the credit card statement or untracked cash out of pocket).

It's the same as many have with landlines vs cell phones, streaming services vs cable package, etc. It's going to take a long time to get everyone to change and in many cases, it is going to have to be obvious to the point where it is more work to NOT change.
Sponsored