Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm happy about this for overall charging of EVs but disagree with everyone that says just let Tesla build out the charging network. That's like saying just let Shell build out the gas stations and everyone else can just stop. Doesn't make any sense. We need all the chargers we can get so more from Rivian, Tesla, EA, EVGo, Chargepoint, etc.
The point here is the reliability of the tesla network. They know how to build chargers that works unlike EA, Evgo, Chargepoint. Majority of us don't use fast chargers often but when the time that we do, I would like to know for sure that it works !!
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Really? You have a $90K vehicle and are concerned about a $500 adapter?
I paid the pre march prices. Also, Iā€™m incredibly cheap. My favorite adventuring with my Rivian is to find free places to charge.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Another thought: why is Ford, Rivian, etc planning on making their own adapters? Canā€™t there just be a third party make them to CCS and NACS spec. Maybe Rivian can sell it in the gear shop, but no need to develop their own. The same adapter should be able to connect a Mach E, R1T, EV6, etcā€¦ all onto the Supercharger network just the same.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Timing matters. Tesla did it to sell vehicles. With time....convince stations will jump in to entice customers to sit and charge while buying hot dogs, etc... they will force margin to negligible to sell those hot dogs.

Rivian has better things to spend money on.

Do you see Ford, GM, etc... going in on energy distribution? No.

Tesla had to do it for adoption. Rivian is doing it for image.

I like destination chargers. But not L3 along interstates and urban areas.
" Rivian has better things to spend money on. "
If they are able to go cash-flow positive next year (as they claim), the money invested in chargers (and then earning income) will be money well spent (as opposed to sitting in a bank).

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Hey, that's a great idea. They should add two liquid exchange ports to the bottom of the NACS plug on the adapter.
No need to exchange bodily fluids. No interest in exchanging bodily fluids either!

Port cooling by each respective system is sufficient.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The point here is the reliability of the tesla network. They know how to build chargers that works unlike EA, Evgo, Chargepoint. Majority of us don't use fast chargers often but when the time that we do, I would like to know for sure that it works !!
Still doesnā€™t mean one company should have a monopoly. Others will be forced to get better due to Tesla. Thatā€™s how capitalism works.

israndy

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 Jeep, '00 Insight, '05 LandYacht, '07 Serenity
Occupation
Retired
as of right now, 800 volt vehicles cannot charge effectively at superchargers. This includes the GMC Hummer and the soon to be released Chevy Silverado EV, Kia, Hyundia, Porshe, Audi, Lucid, Polestar etc...
Polestar? I think they are 400v, they will actually be able to charge faster at a Supercharger as they advertise their max charge rate as 250kW which they CANNOT reach at a CCS site that only allows 500 amps down the cord. Superchargers can get to 750 amps

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I still plan on keeping the max pack, simply for the reason of towing. 390 miles quickly turns into 190 miles when you have a boat or other heavy trailer in back, and would only require only one stop on the way to the cabin in northern Wisconsin.
If you have a pre-March priced R1T Max Pack I could see it, but post-March 10K markup for 50 extra miles, less drive modes, and less performance? Iā€™m good. Hard pass.

Reactions: MDH

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
I donā€™t think Tesla will be going after any NEVI money at this point unless the idiots up top switch the law to allow NACS connectors. Not enough money in NEVI to make it worthwhile when the supercharger Network has a potential value of 100 billion. More money to be made off customers of Ford, GM, Rivian, and any other manufacture that smartens up then there would be for Tesla to go after NEVI funding by installing Magic docks.

I hope Tesla kills the magic dock and sells adaptors to customers with CCS ports if they want to use the superchargers. More money for Tesla to sell adapters then it would be installing magic docks.
The magic dock is dead. Just an experiment. Lucids and Hyundais have had trouble charging on them. Tesla's closed ecosystem was relatively easy. It's making Fords, GMs, Rivians and all the others that will be forthcoming work properly....that will be the challenge.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Still doesnā€™t mean one company should have a monopoly. Others will be forced to get better due to Tesla. Thatā€™s how capitalism works.

Tesla has been around for years. I don't see EA , chargepoint, or Evgo getting better do you? What about Rivian RAN? at their turtle pace, it would takes 100 years to catch up. we are talking fast charging here, and it is not the same as daily gasoline that people have to buy. Majority of us charges at home.

Sponsored

israndy

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 Jeep, '00 Insight, '05 LandYacht, '07 Serenity
Occupation
Retired
they are not officially owned or operated by Tesla. Sometimes I forget that myself. It just adds to the confusion. These Level 2 charges vary by location. Most that I have encountered in the wild claim to be either 5-6kW, or some suggest 11kW.
Version 1 and 2 Tesla Wall Connectors go to 19.2kW, if you have enough capability in your cars AC charger. The newest ones they sell now only go to 11 (Like Spinal Tap)

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
Thatā€™s OK - I want the Tesla SC for convenience when traveling. 90% of my charging is done at home - The supercharges will fill in the charging ā€desertsā€ when traveling. I will gladly pay extra for the convenience of the SC.
Exactly. I'm puzzled how someone can spend $90K on a vehicle and be concerned about paying more for charging when it only occurs on during road trips. Your time and convenience far out weighs the cost.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Another thought: why is Ford, Rivian, etc planning on making their own adapters? Canā€™t there just be a third party make them to CCS and NACS spec.
Do you have a source that says Ford / Rivian are making their own adapters? I haven't heard this yet.

From Rivian's email this morning: Starting as early as Spring 2024, weā€™ll offer an NACS adapter that allows you to charge at Tesla charging sites.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
The magic dock is dead. Just an experiment. Lucids and Hyundais have had trouble charging on them. Tesla's closed ecosystem was relatively easy. It's making Fords, GMs, Rivians and all the others that will be forthcoming work properly....that will be the challenge.
Rivianā€™s can charge on magic docks already as can other vehicles. So the magic dock was a great test for adaptors that we will be able to buy to use on tesla superchargers. The magic dock did prove that almost any EV can charge on supercharger via an adaptor as the magic dock is exactly thatā€¦. an adaptor. Then it is just software beyond the adaptor authorizing a supercharger via the Tesla app. Nothing really needs to be done on Rivianā€™s end but maybe some software updates to update its maps to navigate to supercharger. All manufactures have been able to test their vehicles on adaptors to Tesla supercharger. They realized they have to do nothing hardware related to have their vehicles charge at Tesla supercharger. Even when all these manufactures move to NACS the owners will be able to use CCS chargers via adaptors they could purchase.
Sponsored