12v issues (both needed replacement)

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
I posted in a different thread about my truck needing both 12v batteries replaced last Friday. This morning the car flashed up fresh "replace 12v battery" warning so it is back in shop.

Any thoughts on potential cause? Vampire drain?

I feel like 90% chance they tell me the batteries are testing well and to go on my way. Hard to trust though given how bad the sudden and complete failure was last week.

I simultaneously have a Bluetooth error and failure of the key card system.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Are you on 2024.07 software? They supposedly tuned those error messages in that update. Seems like you probably have some hardware that's going bad that they'll have to replace if the message isn't erroneous.

OP
OP

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
Are you on 2024.07 software? They supposedly tuned those error messages in that update. Seems like you probably have some hardware that's going bad that they'll have to replace if the message isn't erroneous.
Thanks. Yes, on 2024.07.03 and I laughed when I saw 12v notifications as the last item on the enhancement list given 2 days before I had total loss of 12v without warning and car was totally bricked.

I was half wondering if they over tuned the notifications and this was phantom but it immediately returned after a hard reset. I am at least thankful for that given if was much easier to deal with problem from my driveway than on I-95.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I would guess the techs will take a much closer look given its the second time this has happened to you in a short period of time. Its an easy first reaction to just replace the batteries the first time, especially with how many of us have had the 12v batteries die (not just Rivian, other EVs also). Its something else if they die a second time that soon.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
On down the troubleshooting tree...

1. Replace the battery (s)
2. Check the charging system. In this case, the DC to DC converter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
On down the troubleshooting tree...

1. Replace the battery (s)
2. Check the charging system. In this case, the DC to DC converter.
I should have added that the warning said replace 12v and also "failure to do so may result in loss of range".

I thought that was a strange addendum. Range is the last thing I'm worried about.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
I posted in a different thread about my truck needing both 12v batteries replaced last Friday. This morning the car flashed up fresh "replace 12v battery" warning so it is back in shop.

I feel like 90% chance they tell me the batteries are testing well and to go on my way. Hard to trust though given how bad the sudden and complete failure was last week.

I had the same issue and my batteries were replaced by mobile service last month. My tech told me it isn't uncommon for the batteries to simply wear out after about 18-24 months. I've had my R1T for about 18 months. He hinted that next time the replacement won't be free.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

What is the collective wisdom of the group here regarding preemptive 12v replacements? I’m at 20 months and 40,000 miles. I’m thinking about doing it before a big July road trip.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

I agree with @R.I.P. above. My 12v failed, they replaced it, had a problem again within a few weeks and I brought the truck into a SC where they replaced the DC/DC converter (and also checked for bad grounds etc). This was 2.5 months ago.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
What is the collective wisdom of the group here regarding preemptive 12v replacements? I’m at 20 months and 40,000 miles. I’m thinking about doing it before a big July road trip.
They are designed to last for years as long as they are not abused (over charged, under charged, drained too deeply, overheated, etc... ). As long as your vehicle is charging them correctly they should still be in great shape, I wouldn't replace them till they give you issues.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
They are designed to last for years as long as they are not abused (over charged, under charged, drained too deeply, overheated, etc... ). As long as your vehicle is charging them correctly they should still be in great shape, I wouldn't replace them till they give you issues.
There is mounting evidence that this is the problem; The Rivian systems are not properly maintaining the 12 volt battery, and they are wearing out prematurely.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
There is mounting evidence that this is the problem; The Rivian systems are not properly maintaining the 12 volt battery, and they are wearing out prematurely.
Agreed, last time I went in to the RIDE menu I was surprised to see my 12V batts up in 14.5V territory which is okay for recharging after a discharge, but that's too high for a 24/7 float charge on a 12V AGM battery.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Consider yourself lucky. Both mine just failed last night after only 8 months and ~25k miles. We're all just playing the 12V battery bad batch game of roulette at this point. Thankfully, I was just at work and not on a road trip.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Yeah I got that update last week and this week I got that message w/ ZERO warning as both my 12V batteries died and bricked my R1S. Not exactly helpful.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I wonder if there is a correlation between vehicles with large vampire drain and probability of 12v failure? My R1T has always had vampire drain on the low end of reports, about 1/2% per 24 hours.
Sponsored