OP

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
I wonder if there is a correlation between vehicles with large vampire drain and probability of 12v failure? My R1T has always had vampire drain on the low end of reports, about 1/2% per 24 hours.
It's a good thought.

At least for me (very low vampire drain) yet sudden battery failure and then the replacement batteries trigger a warning 5 days after install. They have now said that the batteries they installed were faulty and they replaced again. This doesn't seem likely to me. We now have 2 orig batteries (march 2023 build) and 2 replacement batteries (march 2024 install) which are "bad". Feels like it is the charging/maintenance not the battery quality. They still have the truck to fix Bluetooth/key card issue and I plan to talk to them.

Guessing I'm gonna get it back and am doomed to a third battery failure within a month.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I got hit with the “replace 12v battery” red warning light tonight. First time in 18000 miles and about 18 months of ownership.

the funny thing is is happily pop in to auto zone and replace the 12v batteries if I could like all my ICE cars- but they want me to bring it in tomorrow. And although I’m glad I don’t have to tear the frunk out on my own, I’m annoyed that I have to bring it in for something that should be owner serviceable.

guess it’s just my turn :)

Rivian R1T R1S 12v issues (both needed replacement) IMG_7767

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
Add me to the list. Suddenly got the dreaded "Replace 12V battery" message in the app (crazily, there was no push notification—I only saw it when I opened the app). I got zero prior warning that the battery was unwell.

R1S (7K miles, <1 year old) was completely dead. It was still plugged in to the Rivian charger but there was no power to anything in the car. I couldn't open the center console to retrieve valuables because the latch is motorized (lesson learned). Thankfully, we were home at the time. We were about to head out on a 7+ hour drive in a few hours.

Rivian towed it to the SC. It's not fun to see it literally dragged out of the garage on plastic skates.

Last edited:

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I got hit with the “replace 12v battery” red warning light tonight. First time in 18000 miles and about 18 months of ownership.

the funny thing is is happily pop in to auto zone and replace the 12v batteries if I could like all my ICE cars- but they want me to bring it in tomorrow. And although I’m glad I don’t have to tear the frunk out on my own, I’m annoyed that I have to bring it in for something that should be owner serviceable.

guess it’s just my turn :)

IMG_7767.jpeg
Happened to me almost exactly at 18,000 miles. Rivian replaced them under warranty.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Happened to me almost exactly at 18,000 miles. Rivian replaced them under warranty.
Yeah not too bad considering some of the stories.

I just hate the way they make you panic by saying you will lose range and you have to call the service center immediately. It makes you wonder whether it’s smart to just have it towed or you could drive it for days without issue.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

The error on mine specifically said to plug in to charging whenever possible. So that’s what I did. No road trips with it, no long stops unless a charger was available. My Rivian was plugged in to power every single moment it was parked until my battery replacement appointment a week later. I still drove it, and didn’t see any problems. (In fact, the error would come and go.)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The error on mine specifically said to plug in to charging whenever possible. So that’s what I did. No road trips with it, no long stops unless a charger was available. My Rivian was plugged in to power every single moment it was parked until my battery replacement appointment a week later. I still drove it, and didn’t see any problems. (In fact, the error would come and go.)
That's good to know. I drove one of my other trucks to work this morning because I didn't want to have to worry about it while I waited for my Rivian follow up call. They eventually called and said they didn't think it would be a problem until my mobile appt next week.
Sponsored