Sponsored

$1700 Service Center ONLY Windshield Replacement is UNSUSTAINABLE !

Rub-ish

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 2006 Audi A3
Occupation
Sound Engineer
I'm here to vent and commiserate!

I'm a huge fan of my R1S... just this week I told someone who asked how I liked it ... That "it changed my life" (I said it with out thinking and it kind of made me second guess my answer in the moment)

However, maybe the universe is telling me to pump the brakes...

Monday an unknown rock chip revealed itself by way of the car wash, leading to a quickly advancing crack...

The positive part of this is that the Las Vegas service center is able to get me in this week!

THE OVERWHELMING NEGATIVE is that the full cost of a replacement piece of glass is $1700 installed!!!

There is no other alternative to such a vulnerable part of the car, no mobile glass, wont sell to other more reasonable cost installers, wont release the sensor calibration software!

Coincidentally the service centers also doesn't work with most insurance providers to file glass claims!

Coming from a Jeep JL Wrangler I am no stranger to bad glass and frequent windshield repair! $700 bucks a pop is the common cost in Jeep world, but $1700 only at the service center is Highway ROBBERY !!

THIS ASPECT OF RIVIAN IS UNSUSTAINABLE! - FIX THIS BULLSHIT

Rivian R1T R1S $1700 Service Center ONLY Windshield Replacement is UNSUSTAINABLE ! ROCKChi
Rivian R1T R1S $1700 Service Center ONLY Windshield Replacement is UNSUSTAINABLE ! ROCKchip2
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

OP
OP
Rub-ish

Rub-ish

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sound Engineer

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Will insurance at least reimburse at a later date?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rub-ish

Rub-ish

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sound Engineer
Most windshields cost $1000 plus and the recalibration so while this is high it is not completely outrageous. I am sure they will partner with someone soon (sounds like they may already have done so).
Imagine a world where the R2 windshield cost $1700 dollars and guess the kind of coverage it will receive

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
My truck is in teh shop for a windshield today as well. $1,800. It is not out of market for an OEM windshield at a dealership, especially with the recalibration. The cheap aftermarket windshields from a local mobile service place for my model 3 just cost me $500. Going through Safelite on the Model 3 was going to cost $1300 (safelite sucks, btw) of which insurance was going to pay $300 and the rest on the deductible.

Will be good to have more after-market options, but no one is making them right now.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
R2 will not have this issue, it should be a higher volume vehicle with more after-market low-cost glass available.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Rivian will let you work with any Rivian certified body shop to replace an R1 windshield. Our insurance worked directly with the body shop and covered the glass replacement and recalibration.

Rivian’s cost also includes a recalibration of sensors. This is not a Rivian specific item, and you’ll run into this with other vehicles that have this level of sensors in the windshield.

Jeep’s are plentiful and the windshield is an easy swap. Look at an estimate for a windshield on a Tesla, BMW, Land Rover, etc. you’ll pay $2k. Comparing a Jeep to an R1 is apples and oranges.

OP
OP
Rub-ish

Rub-ish

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sound Engineer
Imagine a world where a smaller windshield on a higher volume vehicle costs less.
fair enough...

The cost is high on R1 platform but at least make it with a high performance glass company.

Btw this is my second windshield replacement! the first was a warranty claim over a horribly wavy laminate layer.

Its not high quality glass or inexpensive so I'm not totally sure where the cost lays

OP
OP
Rub-ish

Rub-ish

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sound Engineer
Rivian will let you work with any Rivian certified body shop to replace an R1 windshield. Our insurance worked directly with the body shop and covered the glass replacement and recalibration.

Rivian’s cost also includes a recalibration of sensors. This is not a Rivian specific item, and you’ll run into this with other vehicles that have this level of sensors in the windshield.

Jeep’s are plentiful and the windshield is an easy swap. Look at an estimate for a windshield on a Tesla, BMW, Land Rover, etc. you’ll pay $2k. Comparing a Jeep to an R1 is apples and oranges.
There is only one 3rd party certified shop in Las Vegas... (also concerning)

I put in a call to them and they are not interested in doing the job

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I had a small star upper driver side of mirror within first 2 weeks of ownership and then a crack from another rock midway up on driver side that started creeping across
Franklin TN SC replaced on 3-25-2024 at $1850 with my $500 deductible
They did a very good job of it
Satellite is supposed to be getting their credentials for repairs in this area soon
This is the same cost as my wife’s previous RAV4 and current Tesla 3 so it’s not just Rivian

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
FWIW the OE windshield glass for a Range Rover Sport is $1100 for parts alone. It’s probably quoted as a 2 hour job @ 250/hr.

I agree with you - it’s outrageous - but it’s about the same level of outrageous as other premium brands.

Note that my last truck - a ‘19 Tundra TRD Pro - windshield replacement with OE glass was >$1200 (inc. labor). Insane considering how much glass that truck ate on roads, let alone what I subjected it to on gravel.
Sponsored