Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I'll take suspension adjustments but the new UI looks to have the same issue as the old one where black buttons are on during the day and white is off, while white is on at night and black is off. Cell phones have figured out dark mode better.

Hoping I no longer get nagged to update everytime I get in the car if auto update is off.
Sponsored

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Did I miss something, or did he not talk about the suspension and dampening adjustments?

Edit: spelling
He mentioned it at the end for 5 seconds. Saying that the R1S would notice it more than the T. That was it tho.. and ofcourse, that was one of the biggest things I wanted him to review.. sigh

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
While I appreciate the effort that goes into creating a video like this, I could do with 5 minutes fewer raving about the improved cartoons. ;)
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I prefer the "old" (current) graphics vs. the "new" (cartoon) graphics.

I updated the phone app earlier this week and instantly regretted it when I saw the beautiful render of my R1 turn into a cartoon. Wish there was a way to roll back to the previous app version but no dice on iOS, unfortunately.

Also feel like the square box on the driver display is a big step back from the blend that they have used up until now -- particularly for navigation. That said, bring on the ride improvements, turn signal cameras, and other improvements!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm just thinking out loud... I think they are converting the more realistic graphics to cartoonish graphics was because (one of the reasons) the newer style takes up less memories so the onboard computer goes faster and the UI experience is better.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

New owner here, and an update virgin, so please excuse the naive questions.

What is the procedure and timing relative to OTA updates? Is there anything that I need to do to get the vehicle prepared for an update? Should I assume that it would be beneficial to park in my driveway, where my R1T has access to my home wifi network? I know that wifi is not essential for the vehicle to get the update, but assume it will allow a better, faster connection.

What about the time/timing involved? Obviously, your Rivian is OOS during the update itself - how long is this typically? There must be some downtime after the update is complete as things percolate through the vehicle and get written to storage/firmware, etc - is this correct and if so, how long typically?
I always update at home in our garage. Before starting the update I connect our home charger, put the driver’s window down and open the frunk. I’m probably being completely paranoid, but I figure it can’t hurt to plug into AC (L1 or L2) chargers and if there is a 12V battery issue at least I can open the vehicle using the inside door handle (even if locked) and it’s easy to get to the 12V battery connections if needed. I’ve been updating for a year and haven’t had an issue yet, so my precautions are undoubtedly overkill.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Just curious. How does RivianTrackr get access to the release early? Is it/he part of Rivian conpany?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I'm not totally sold yet on the cartoonish aspect of the new look - I'll have to see it live on my R1S....
The new look reminded me of when Apple decided to goto a very plain flat icon images on MacOS X some time ago, before they returned to the former and current icons.

Maybe so that the cartoonish looks matches Gary....

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm just thinking out loud... I think they are converting the more realistic graphics to cartoonish graphics was because (one of the reasons) the newer style takes up less memories so the onboard computer goes faster and the UI experience is better.
I certainly hope so. The lag for Gen 1 users is bad and going to get worse over time. It's the one thing that makes the experience feel sub par when interacting with the vehicle.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

As an FYI. The in car infotainment PCB was not updated for gen 2. So they feel the computing power is plenty strong.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
New owner here, and an update virgin, so please excuse the naive questions.

What is the procedure and timing relative to OTA updates? Is there anything that I need to do to get the vehicle prepared for an update? Should I assume that it would be beneficial to park in my driveway, where my R1T has access to my home wifi network? I know that wifi is not essential for the vehicle to get the update, but assume it will allow a better, faster connection.

What about the time/timing involved? Obviously, your Rivian is OOS during the update itself - how long is this typically? There must be some downtime after the update is complete as things percolate through the vehicle and get written to storage/firmware, etc - is this correct and if so, how long typically?
You’ll receive a notification via the vehicle and your app that the OTA is ready for your vehicle.
Park somewhere safe, preferably at home and connected to WiFi, and near a charger (or plugged in). Plan on not needing your vehicle for at least an hour; but preferably more, “just in case”.
From past experience, let the owners that are impatient download first and give in a few days to see what people say on various forums before initiating your update. It may make zero difference other than waiting, or it may save you a big PITA

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
I certainly hope so. The lag for Gen 1 users is bad and going to get worse over time. It's the one thing that makes the experience feel sub par when interacting with the vehicle.
out of curiosity, what part of you system has a bad lag? i get occasional lag when i open a screen for the first time after an update, but don’t notice anything beyond that

madhat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
I just want to be able to change my left driver display to show music!!!!
I’ve never really been a cell shaded guy (was disappointed when the Zelda realistic demo turned into Wind Waker), but it’s not a big game changer to me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.