Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
New owner here, and an update virgin, so please excuse the naive questions.

What is the procedure and timing relative to OTA updates? Is there anything that I need to do to get the vehicle prepared for an update? Should I assume that it would be beneficial to park in my driveway, where my R1T has access to my home wifi network? I know that wifi is not essential for the vehicle to get the update, but assume it will allow a better, faster connection.

What about the time/timing involved? Obviously, your Rivian is OOS during the update itself - how long is this typically? There must be some downtime after the update is complete as things percolate through the vehicle and get written to storage/firmware, etc - is this correct and if so, how long typically?
Connecting to WiFi may download faster but it won't get your vehicle signed up for the update any faster. These updates usually rollout to only a portion of vehicles at one time in a staggered fashion (think 5% for day one, 20% day two, etc.) You can't change your place in line, and it seems randomly assigned each update.

Normal size updates don't take very long to install, usually 30min or so?
Sponsored

mczouav

First Name
max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rivian r1s, nissan leaf+, honda accord
Occupation
sciences

What is the procedure and timing relative to OTA updates? Is there anything that I need to do to get the vehicle prepared for an update? Should I assume that it would be beneficial to park in my driveway, where my R1T has access to my home wifi network? I know that wifi is not essential for the vehicle to get the update, but assume it will allow a better, faster connection.

What about the time/timing involved? Obviously, your Rivian is OOS during the update itself - how long is this typically? There must be some downtime after the update is complete as things percolate through the vehicle and get written to storage/firmware, etc - is this correct and if so, how long typically?
Your phone or car will show a notification about the update when it s ready. Hit 'go for it' when you are home parked safely and not planning to go anywhere for the next 90min...(Really takes 60 min usually) Then enjoy playing with the new menus for 1 h :)

Usually occurs ~1 week after r1t on my recent r1s.

I am not sure you need wifi for it to download. I had the notification show up when at work quite often....

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
Should probably rename this thread to "2024.19.04 update begins rollout today! + Software update review video"

Otherwise we'll be seeing questions over the next week of "why don't I have it yet? šŸ˜…
To add further confusion: JosĆ© says itā€™s rolling out to everyone today in the video. I excitedly ran to my truck to findā€¦ nothing yet šŸ˜­ Iā€™m now assuming it will roll out in batches just like the rest of the updates.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Most people won't get the new update until next week. It might be a slow rollout just in case problems pop up.

It all looks great, but all I really want is to get rid of the screen lag every time you switch between different menus. It's gotten a lot worse in the last few updates.

Sponsored

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

I'm not totally sold yet on the cartoonish aspect of the new look - I'll have to see it live on my R1S - but I'm really looking forward to the blind spot cameras, the suspension adjustments and the HVAC presets. Bring it on!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Pretty excited about low regen myself. More excited about that than anything else. My wife refuses to drive the truck because the regen on normal is so aggressive.
Snow mode has Low regen option already...has she tried that?

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Software Update pages from the latest 2022-2024 R1T Manual

Attachments

Sponsored

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Excited as a Gen1 owner. But everything that was revealed about Driver+/RAD, I think the poor show of vehicles in front on the driver display should be done away with.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Did I miss something, or did he not talk about the suspension and dampening adjustments?
I think it was mentioned on the Reddit AMA

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Nice updates. Guess casting will be in the next update?

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

While I appreciate the effort that goes into creating a video like this, I could do with 5 minutes fewer raving about the improved cartoons. ;)
Let that man live in the moment!!! His video, his time. All Good!!!

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

The criteria for the update is generally listed in the update prompt in the vehicle

General minimum requirements is:
20% battery remaining

The pop up I see usually estimates around 55 minutes and it warns that vehicle features will be unavailable and remind you to grab things you may need

You get a countdown to grab last minute things before if locks itself and starts the OTA update process

You do not need to have WiFi connectivity it will download via LTE

You may not see the option to upgrade for several days/ weeks depending on where you are in the rollout
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.