First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Hey friends, I I thought I would share my thoughts about my new tires now that I’ve had some time with them. I hope some of you find this information useful.

TLDR - KO3’s are surely more durable for off roading, but the ATP’s are a better all around tire, in my opinion.

Perrelli • I got 42k miles out of the ATP’s that came with my truck. I have a full size spare and was very good about rotating all five tires every 6k miles. I could have gotten more life out of them for sure, but they were chirpy around town and really loud on the highway as they wore down. In that 42k miles, I waded through water almost to the top of the tires for a hundred yards and I had the truck nearly air born in the sand at King of the Hammers. I really enjoyed “spirited” driving on twisty back roads and I did some light rock crawling and wheeling on them. Other than off roading, I ran them at the max pressure (50-53psi) for the entire life. The only complaint I have about these tires is how loud they got as they wore down. I expect the KO3’s to do about the same, but it will take some time to find out.

BFG • In the 4k miles since I installed the KO3’s, I’ve driven in the rain, mud, and snow. No sand yet, but I expect they’ll do very well. These things do really well when traction is limited. I'm very impressed. I’ve done some light wheeling with them and they performed great. I have a low risk tolerance when it comes to damaging my rims while rock crawling, so I don’t push it too hard. In hindsight, that probably negates the reason for going with the KO3’s in the first place, since durability is their greatest advantage over the ATP’s. My range suffered a lot at first compared to the worn out ATP’s, but it got a lot better once I pumped them up to about 75 psi (which gave the onboard compressor a workout). In fact, they are surprisingly efficient now. Not quite as efficient as the ATP’s but really close. I do have a couple complaints about the KO3’s, though. The biggest problem is cornering stability. They just don’t turn in or hold a line like the Perrelli’s did. I drove them really fast on a pot hole filled roller coaster of a road a couple weeks ago. They hop around a lot and easily get upset mid corner. Obviously, that’s not what they were made for, but the ATP’s were much better and always did everything else I asked of them. In my research, I found a few reviewers complaining the KO3’s shake on the highway, despite being correctly balanced. I have the same issue. I can see an obvious shake in the steering wheel if I let it go, but I can’t feel it that much with my hands on the wheel.

In summary, I would buy another set of Perrelli’s instead, knowing what I know now. There is a silver lining, however, because at least the KO3’s are tough and they look really cool.

Rivian R1T R1S Tire review - BFG KO3 vs Perrelli Scorpion AT Plus IMG_5033
Rivian R1T R1S Tire review - BFG KO3 vs Perrelli Scorpion AT Plus IMG_5034
Sponsored

ModestoMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4
Hey friends, I I thought I would share my thoughts about my new tires now that I’ve had some time with them. I hope some of you find this information useful.

TLDR - KO3’s are surely more durable for off roading, but the ATP’s are a better all around tire, in my opinion.

Perrelli • I got 42k miles out of the ATP’s that came with my truck. I have a full size spare and was very good about rotating all five tires every 6k miles. I could have gotten more life out of them for sure, but they were chirpy around town and really loud on the highway as they wore down. In that 42k miles, I waded through water almost to the top of the tires for a hundred yards and I had the truck nearly air born in the sand at King of the Hammers. I really enjoyed “spirited” driving on twisty back roads and I did some light rock crawling and wheeling on them. Other than off roading, I ran them at the max pressure (50-53psi) for the entire life. The only complaint I have about these tires is how loud they got as they wore down. I expect the KO3’s to do about the same, but it will take some time to find out.

BFG • In the 4k miles since I installed the KO3’s, I’ve driven in the rain, mud, and snow. No sand yet, but I expect they’ll do very well. These things do really well when traction is limited. I'm very impressed. I’ve done some light wheeling with them and they performed great. I have a low risk tolerance when it comes to damaging my rims while rock crawling, so I don’t push it too hard. In hindsight, that probably negates the reason for going with the KO3’s in the first place, since durability is their greatest advantage over the ATP’s. My range suffered a lot at first compared to the worn out ATP’s, but it got a lot better once I pumped them up to about 75 psi (which gave the onboard compressor a workout). In fact, they are surprisingly efficient now. Not quite as efficient as the ATP’s but really close. I do have a couple complaints about the KO3’s, though. The biggest problem is cornering stability. They just don’t turn in or hold a line like the Perrelli’s did. I drove them really fast on a pot hole filled roller coaster of a road a couple weeks ago. They hop around a lot and easily get upset mid corner. Obviously, that’s not what they were made for, but the ATP’s were much better and always did everything else I asked of them. In my research, I found a few reviewers complaining the KO3’s shake on the highway, despite being correctly balanced. I have the same issue. I can see an obvious shake in the steering wheel if I let it go, but I can’t feel it that much with my hands on the wheel.

In summary, I would buy another set of Perrelli’s instead, knowing what I know now. There is a silver lining, however, because at least the KO3’s are tough and they look really cool.

IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg
I suspect that running the ko

IMG_5033.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg
I suspect that running the ko3s at 75psi is contributing to them hopping around in the corners on a bumpy road...

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Thanks for the review. I am probably due for some new tires by this summer I'll be around 20k miles on the stock 20" Pirellis. Mine have gotten pretty loud.

I was eyeing the new KO3s but might just hold off until the new Toyo EV tires come out.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I appreciate the honest review. A lot of times people want to praise the latest thing they spent hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on. KO3 are still on my short list for my Wrangler though.

Mr. Ham

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CY R1S
Clubs

Thats a drag. I live ripping around town on the scorpions.
I can only imagine how good the the 22's would fling around, but I much rather have the 20's overall.

The biggest problem is cornering stability. They just don’t turn in or hold a line like the Perrelli’s did.

Reactions: Ash

mitchelmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Kia Telluride
Yeah, that's quite surprising that they are not as confident in turning. I also think at 75psi, you will feel every slight imperfection in the balance. I put 37" K02s on my jeep wrangler and they balanced perfectly. They were loads quieter than the Mud Terrains that came stock in 32" too. The Rivian is a different beast. I have an imbalance on my Rivian since delivery that has gotten slightly better but still present over time. I'm concerned it's not actually tire related as I get small steering wheel shake even after tire rotation. Maybe one of my half shafts or rotors is out of balance? Who knows. But like you commented, if my hand is on the steering wheel, you barely notice it. Hands off, different story. There's a definitive shake at 70 and above. Either way, if you do a mix of off road and street driving, the K03s are probably amazing. They have a softer compound which does wonders off road. Most people were very impressed how well my K02s did in rock crawling situations. They also lasted for 60k on my Jeep Wrangler, so I'd imagine they hold up for at least 40K on the weight of this truck.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
Thanks for the review. I am probably due for some new tires by this summer I'll be around 20k miles on the stock 20" Pirellis. Mine have gotten pretty loud.

I was eyeing the new KO3s but might just hold off until the new Toyo EV tires come out.
Agree. That new Toyo EV tire looks like a good option. S00n!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I’m also running KO3s for the last 4k miles. Been super happy so far. Don’t have the wheel shake. Snow traction has been impressive. Would never run them at 75psi. Did chalk tests at 3 different psi. Settled at 63psi. Any higher didn increase efficiency either.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Excellent feedback and very transparent review/comparison! Thank you. I'm super happy with my Cooper Discover AT3 XLT's and run them at 70psi. 25,000 miles and have at least another 10K in them, and they corner very well, but not as good off-road as the K03's. I have the K02's on my 70 Series LandCruiser and love them. Different beast with a different purpose.

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
I’m also running KO3s for the last 4k miles. Been super happy so far. Don’t have the wheel shake. Snow traction has been impressive. Would never run them at 75psi. Did chalk tests at 3 different psi. Settled at 63psi. Any higher didn increase efficiency either.
Thank you. I'll try a bit lower pressure and see how it goes.

Noah Arc

First Name
Noam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Contractor
Had my original pirelli scorpion replaced with KO2's at Christmas. Got 37K out of them and had another 5k left on them but the deal was too good to pass. Current milage is 45K and I can completely concur with the original post. The KO2's are definitely better tires than the scorpions.
THE ONLY DOWNSIDE I FOUND IS that my MPKw dropped from 2.1 to 1.95... I tow heavy loads frequently... I'm not sure that the drop in MPKw wasn't affected by the software changes rivian made to ReGen settings...

Please post your thoughts

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, that's quite surprising that they are not as confident in turning. I also think at 75psi, you will feel every slight imperfection in the balance. I put 37" K02s on my jeep wrangler and they balanced perfectly. They were loads quieter than the Mud Terrains that came stock in 32" too. The Rivian is a different beast. I have an imbalance on my Rivian since delivery that has gotten slightly better but still present over time. I'm concerned it's not actually tire related as I get small steering wheel shake even after tire rotation. Maybe one of my half shafts or rotors is out of balance? Who knows. But like you commented, if my hand is on the steering wheel, you barely notice it. Hands off, different story. There's a definitive shake at 70 and above. Either way, if you do a mix of off road and street driving, the K03s are probably amazing. They have a softer compound which does wonders off road. Most people were very impressed how well my K02s did in rock crawling situations. They also lasted for 60k on my Jeep Wrangler, so I'd imagine they hold up for at least 40K on the weight of this truck.
Have a tire shop road force balance them. If that doesn't work have Rivian look at your truck.

JeffADK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Convertible, Tractor, UTV
Occupation
All the time
Clubs

42k on stock ATPs! Wow! And you did everything. Good on you mate!
I'll be ecstatic if I get 40K out of my stock ATPs. Good show for you!
Sponsored