Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Heh... Leave it to Kyle, to take what should have been a 5 minute video and stretch it to almost 22 minutes. But he covered it all I think. Have to appreciate how well his gray pants and greenish hoodie coordinate with the exterior/interior of the truck.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Heh... Leave it to Kyle, to take what should have been a 5 minute video and stretch it to almost 22 minutes. But he covered it all I think. Have to appreciate how well his gray pants and greenish hoodie coordinate with the exterior/interior of the truck.
I know this is how people like Kyle make their living, but YouTube is almost unwatchable at this point because of the way they seem to incentivize length over quality.

It's not his fault. Kyle seems like a good guy interested in sharing information. He's just doing what the platform requires to be successful.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I’ve only ever used Magic Dock stations with the Tesla app and there’s one thing that I’m not 100% clear on with the plug-and-charge method in the video. Do you have to pre-select which charger you will be using in the Rivian nav prior to unholstering the NACS plug? Or are the plugs not locked in place and you can just choose one at random, attach the adapter, and then plug into your vehicle? I think it’s the latter otherwise it would really be plug-and-charge.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I know this is how people like Kyle make their living, but YouTube is almost unwatchable at this point because of the way they seem to incentivize length over quality.

It's not his fault. Kyle seems like a good guy interested in sharing information. He's just doing what the platform requires to be successful.
Not even just "length over quality" but also pushing AI garbage and low-quality clickbait over actual thoughtful content. The number of "Elon announced new thing!" with clickbait thumbnail that is obviously going to just be a computer-generated voice talking an AI-generated BS script over stock footage of Elon that are "suggested" to me is ridiculous. I don't even watch *ACTUAL* Elon videos, no way I'm watching that AI dredge.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Not even just "length over quality" but also pushing AI garbage and low-quality clickbait over actual thoughtful content. The number of "Elon announced new thing!" with clickbait thumbnail that is obviously going to just be a computer-generated voice talking an AI-generated BS script over stock footage of Elon that are "suggested" to me is ridiculous. I don't even watch *ACTUAL* Elon videos, no way I'm watching that AI dredge.
So true. If I had a dollar for every time I searched youtube for an instructional on how to do something (like fix my washing machine) and was fooled by the description and photo into listening to an AI voice read the owners manual I would be Elon wealthy. It feels like YT is 10% real and 90% BS videos at this point.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

So true. If I had a dollar for every time I searched youtube for an instructional on how to do something (like fix my washing machine) and was fooled by the description and photo into listening to an AI voice read the owners manual I would be Elon wealthy. It feels like YT is 10% real and 90% BS videos at this point.
A couple years ago, I started restricting myself to *ONLY* viewing YouTube via my "Subscriptions" page, and *ONLY* watching videos from my subscriptions, or interesting videos that the people I follow recommend directly. Not algorithm-suggestions at all. I never click on the "end video grid of suggestions," I have auto-play turned off, etc. It has made YT actually usable again.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Give Kyle a break. I find him entertaining, well spoken, and providing accurate information. He has been a real plus to the EV movement. As a first time EVer, he has taught me a lot EVing generally and operation of my Rivian specifically.

Brian

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I’ve only ever used Magic Dock stations with the Tesla app and there’s one thing that I’m not 100% clear on with the plug-and-charge method in the video. Do you have to pre-select which charger you will be using in the Rivian nav prior to unholstering the NACS plug? Or are the plugs not locked in place and you can just choose one at random, attach the adapter, and then plug into your vehicle? I think it’s the latter otherwise it would really be plug-and-charge.
Plug & charge will always default to paying with whatever card is your payment method in the Rivian profile. If you are using the Tesla app to utilize subscription discounts, you need to select the charger in the app and wait until it tells you to plug in before you plug into the vehicle.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Also, IDK if Kyle mentioned this, but charges that come thru from plug and charge show up as Rivian charges on your statement.

Sponsored

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

I finally think I understand why these videos are so long: The videos are tuned to match the expected charging length of current DC fast charging stops.

For example, expecting to charge for 20 minutes? Here, watch this 20 minute on charging while you charge. Expecting to charge for 40 minutes? Here's a 40 minute video on how your car's charging curve works.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT

It is partially his fault because he stretches things out too much. He isn’t bothered by the money because there is no way YT covers his expensive garage of cars, his lifestyle etc. The benefit of having a trust fund.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It is partially his fault because he stretches things out too much. He isn’t bothered by the money because there is no way YT covers his expensive garage of cars, his lifestyle etc. The benefit of having a trust fund.
That's true. He does have quite the car collection. I wasn't sure where his money came from. Some YTers seem to appear wealthy, others look like they are streaming from a hoarder's home.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

He does have sponsored advertising, not YT money in that case. That said I don't have any knowledge of his actual financial situation, he certainly doesn't live in a mansion in the hills.

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Has anyone tried plug and charge in their Rivian at a Tesla Magic Dock?

Just wondering if anything changed in terms of using the Tesla App to initiate the charge vs. plug and charge. Fingers crossed for plug and charge!

The new Buc-Cee's in Johnstown, CO opened on Monday March 18th and there are 12 Tesla Magic Docks at that location, I'll give it a go in the next couple of days and report back.
Sponsored