Sponsored

3 years of waiting and finally my first demo drive.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
So I finally had a chance to get my demo/test drive done today.
I got into a Rivian Blue R1S with OC and the AT tires.

After three years of waiting here is what I thought of this vehicle.

Things that I liked and that genuinely surprised me:

1. Ocean Coast - One of if not the best interiors I have had experienced in vegan/non-leather/renewable material class interiors. It's no where near anything the Germans are doing, but below that, it's deinitely one of the most unique and best looking/feeling interiors. It feels unique, different, spacious and airy.

2. The Turning Radius - I don't know how many else feel this way, but for a vehicle of this size, it has a really sharp turning circle. I was able to make some quick u-turns and three-point-turns, which really surprised me.

3. Spacious Interior - While any vehicle in this class would be very spacious, between OC and how they made use of this space, it's a very airy and spacious interior.

Things that need work, but I can live with in its current form:

1. Driver+ - 'When' it engages, it's as good as Tesla's autopilot and a very confident system. There were even little surprises, like how it recognized lane merges, which even the Tesla AP does not recognize

But as I have mentioned before here, Rivian needs to decouple the Active Steering functionality from the mapped highway and allow Drriver+ to fully engage on any road.

I like the fact that Driver+ would re-engage after I did a lane change, but it would only re-engage after I center the vehicle. I wish it would just re-engage as soon as the lane change is done without waiting to straighten and center the vehicle. If the vehicle has gotten between two lanes, just engage and recenter the car like AP does.

If I were to compare this to Tesla's AP, I would give this a 6/10, but I can live with it.

2. The Rivian Audio System - This is not the best system I have heard nor would I say it's the worst system. I would say it's a middle of the pack system. The system is loud and clean, but there were a few issues for my ears.

There was a hollowness/mirkiness in some of the mid/high tones, with a flat EQ.
And the bass had a very non-liner feel to it. Not sure how I can explain it, but it felt out of place. I am not a big thumpy/boomy bass person, but I like bass when it accompanies the music, but in this system the bass felt little bit out of place and boomy in places.
I would imagine both of these could be smoothened out.

The biggest issue I had was, vocals/voice was not coming from the centre channel. I was having a hard time getting a proper stereo stage, with a center voice channel. The voice was alwas from the left and right channels and I am not a fan of that. I had all the surround processing turned off and the audio position set to center. Not sure what else I could do, but I need to give this another try.

The Tesla sounds system IMO is a far better system, it is not as loud as the Rivian, but it has better fidelity than the Rivian.
But, again not a deal breaker, I can live with it.

3. The Displays - There are couple of niggling issues with the displays

The center display is placed with a slight slant away from the driver and this was kind of annoying, because the furthest corner of the display is quite a reach because of this. This probably would not have been noticable had I not been driving with a display that can be fully tilted towards the driver.

The driver display resolution is not very crisp. I can easily notice the low resolution animations, especially the 'Rivian' in the display which you can easily notice the jagged animations. I do wish Rivian would enhance the resolution of the graphics in the driver display. Hopefully this is not a limitation on the display itself.

4. Tire/Road Noise - Damn this thing is loud. I had to turn up the music to drown out a lot of the tire noise. The tire noise started getting louder as early as when I hit 100 kmh and I noticed I was dropping my speed because of this.

Deal Breakers:

Now comes the part that really disappointed me and has become a bit of a deal breaker for me.
There is no better way to say it, but the suspension tuning, drive quality and drive dynamics are a let down.

Drive Dynamics

First, this thing is a heavy vehicle and it drives like a 7000lb vehicle. This weight most definitely influences its driving dynamics and in no way does it drive like a sport car. I guess based on what people have said how it drove like a sports car, I had high expectations, but 7000lbs is not going to defy physics.

Getting back into my Model S after the test drive, flet like getting into a go kart after driving the R1S.

Suspension Tuning/Drive Quality

The next let down is the suspension and ride quality. The R1S was very jarry and rough in it's stiff suspension and on the other end bouncy and wallowy in the soft setting. And there wasn't a single in between that made the S drive any better. No combination of drive mode and ride/suspension setting made the R1S drive any better. The only time it rode somewhat smooth was when I was on a smooth stretch of highway tarmac.

I took it into a not so smooth parking lot, where the surface had quite a few potholes and speed bumps , and the R1S was driving as if it was driving through the Rockies. No suspension setting would smoothen out the drive.

The only thing is, the vehicle I test drove had the ATs and that could have contributed to a lot of the bounciness and road noise. I have another test drive scheduled later this month, when the guide said they would have the 22 sports back on. So I will see how different the ride becomes.

But, if this is the ride quality, Rivian needs to go back to the drawing board and re-engineer the entire suspension tuning, because what I test drove did not feel like the advanced Mclaren esque suspension they have been going on about. Just feels like some body threw in some springs and called it a day.

If I had to give some comparison to the driving dynamics and suspension, I would say the Tesla has better suspension and driving dynamics for a 5000lbs car than what the Rivian has for a 7000lb SUV.

For any one who is going to say it's apples and oranges comparison, the Tesla is better at being an apple than Rivian is being an orange, when it comes to driving dynamics and suspension tuning.
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Great write up. I agree-it does not drive like a sports car. But, it's the best handling suv I've driven. Please consider another test drive with a non AT tyre set up. I did two test drives. One was on 21s and the other on AT 20s. Big difference.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I guess if the Rivian isn’t a good enough orange for you, then stick with the apple. I think both the T and S are some of the best in their class. Which electric SUV are you thinking is better than the S all around?

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
IMO, the better comparison would be a Tesla Model X orange to an R1S orange.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
You're going from a car to a full size SUV/Truck style of vehicle. Two completely different vehicles and driving dynamics. As someone who has driven large SUV's for 25 years, the R1T is one of the most comfortable vehicles in class. (I've also had two Porsche's, so I'm comparing to a variety of vehicles)

Rivian built the R1 EV's for those of us who drive SUVs and trucks. I think the R2 will fit the mark for the crossover market and smaller SUVs.

Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Good comparison of an EV SUV on AT tires to EV Sedan on car tires.

I have an R1T and it's light years ahead of my neighbors Model Y, but at almost twice the price.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I guess if the Rivian isn’t a good enough orange for you, then stick with the apple. I think both the T and S are some of the best in their class. Which electric SUV are you thinking is better than the S all around?
Based on the test drives I have done so far, the BMW iX50 is my top pick, it's an overall better SUV, with the Audi SQ8 eTron in second place. I personally do not need all the towing, off road and third row capabilities.

But I am also waiting for the Polestar3.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
IMO, the better comparison would be a Tesla Model X orange to an R1S orange.
I do agree with you on that.

There is a member of the Rivian Owners of Ontario group in B who owns the new Model X and took delivery of an R1S and decided to sell the R1S as the X has a better ride/suspension quality.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'm with you....

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Based on the test drives I have done so far, the BMW iX50 is my top pick, it's an overall better SUV, with the Audi SQ8 eTron in second place. I personally do not need all the towing, off road and third row capabilities.

You are definitely not a candidate for Rivian ownership.......to toss in the Polestar, eliminated all credibility to me, as well as not mentioning the Macan EV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
You are definitely not a candidate for Rivian ownership.......to toss in the Polestar, eliminated all credibility to me, as well as not mentioning the Macan EV.
I am glad to hear I had some credibility, to loose, with you :rock: .
I guess I will have to live with that disappointment.

The Polestar 2 was one of the most fun and engaging BEVs to drive, every time I test drove one.
So I am not expecting anything less with the Polestar3.
PLUS, "Android Automative !"

As for the Macan EV, not in my price bracket, especially the Turbo which I was looking into.
Also I doubt any one would cross shop the Macan EV with anything Rivian and choose the Rivian to begin with !

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Other than all being electric SUVs, that list does not have as much in common as you think. None of the vehicles you like can be taken off road, which is part of my personal “all around” definition, but you said it isn’t for you.

I would still argue the S is better or at least AS good as any of the other vehicles on your list in most categories, but it's your money. Get what makes you happy and cross the Rivian off your list.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Other than all being electric SUVs, that list does not have as much in common as you think. None of the vehicles you like can be taken off road, which is part of my personal “all around” definition, but you said it isn’t for you.

I would still argue the S is better or at least AS good as any of the other vehicles on your list in most categories, but it's your money. Get what makes you happy and cross the Rivian off your list.
Yeah I do agree with you on the 'all around' definition for the R1S and still like a lot of what the S is offering and want to keep it in consideration.

The S I test drove, had the ATs because of winter and the guide said they would be switching it to the 22 summers in another week or so. I am going back later in the month to test drive once the summers are on to see if they make a difference.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yeah I do agree with you on the 'all around' definition for the R1S and still like a lot of what the S is offering and want to keep it in consideration.

The S I test drove, had the ATs because of winter and the guide said they would be switching it to the 22 summers in another week or so. I am going back later in the month to test drive once the summers are on to see if they make a difference.
If you end up wanting an Audi EV, I just saw this today:
https://www.greencarreports.com/new..._term=0_7e18d5fd93-1a7b7d2006-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]
Sponsored