Sponsored

3D Scanner works... Test prints working great!

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Thanks. Yes, I can import STLs and modify/remix.
Was already kind of thinking about your first one, with a print-in-place adjustment where it has a swivel for the hook. Maybe a mashup of yours with this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6193940
Just not sure if the swivel provides enough benefit until I print yours and try it out with an as-yet-not-purchased cargo net.
Yeah you might not need to, I find that these are easy enough to rotate in place (partially why I ditched the shroud once I had a cargo net to test with and rethink/simplify things) so as long as I was careful with where the support material ended up I had enough rotation with still good locking interaction without having to worry about it. But I could definitely see a use for a locked in peg orientation with an embedded swivel for certain accessories.

Either way, enjoy, change it up as needed and let me know what you end up doing with it. Also if you need something modeled up or 3D scanned (inside the vehicle) I can give it a go
Sponsored

osunick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW E93
Nice work. For even more detail get some Aesub scanning spray. It provides an optimum matte surface for structured light and evaporates away so no clean up.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Nice work. For even more detail get some Aesub scanning spray. It provides an optimum matte surface for structured light and evaporates away so no clean up.
100%!! I am currently waiting to order some - for sure the finish/shine on the OEM sliders made it difficult to get a "perfect" scan, but with a bit of tweaking I got what I needed for this effort. I plan to have a can of Blue handy for the next one though :D

osunick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW E93
Also, if you're using Fusion, here's how you can pull geometry from the surface of a scan, it's what I did a while ago for a Tesla project I was working on. I just needed the top surface of a steering column in a very clean way so you can simplify the geometry and just get a surface you can use as a way to slice an object to mate perfectly.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Emb...WtTo08UPfEgYtUbpYm2mPMAx5sY1YunMFe8_OCmSGlH7s

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Also, if you're using Fusion, here's how you can pull geometry from the surface of a scan, it's what I did a while ago for a Tesla project I was working on. I just needed the top surface of a steering column in a very clean way so you can simplify the geometry and just get a surface you can use as a way to slice an object to mate perfectly.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Emb...WtTo08UPfEgYtUbpYm2mPMAx5sY1YunMFe8_OCmSGlH7s
Very useful! I'm pretty new to the scanning side of things so that will definitely come in handy. Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

osunick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW E93
How do you like your Bambu? I have a very customized Prusa MK3S but I am trying to decide between X1C and Mk4 with input shaping.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
And a quick test print (didn't even fully clear the support material :D) of a fully locking part...

BVcYQkITV713PRlt5pc=w1618-h1035-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

1RSa_zKScrb6XINQARQ=w1549-h1134-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

3yf5_8VWYiNg4qW3XIo=w1093-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

PVtAsRLlvXQaJTgSWXA=w1457-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Locks perfectly in! Print orientation will be important as I was a little overzealous in testing twist resistance and started to split a print layer seam apart :D plus there's a lot of refinement yet to be done, but this was a great little experiment and I'll post the final results when I get the "surprise" cargo net at Xmas and can dial everything in.
What type of filament are you using? I'm guessing PETG or ABS? I'm curious about how it holds up under stress - any delamination or RUD (Rapid Unexepected Disassembly) issues so far?

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

How do you like your Bambu? I have a very customized Prusa MK3S but I am trying to decide between X1C and Mk4 with input shaping.
Legit, it's the best printer I've owned - but that's a fairly small sample to be fair. It's fast, it's simple, it "just works" - I just don't need to think about things, model, slice, print and the results are just there.

As far as it goes for me, it's been completely worth it.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

What type of filament are you using? I'm guessing PETG or ABS? I'm curious about how it holds up under stress - any delamination or RUD (Rapid Unexepected Disassembly) issues so far?
Right now it's just PLA, I'm kinda just seeing how well it holds up, but I expect to have to print these again in something else at some point. PETG, or PC maybe - but willing to see how long PLA holds up.

So far, no issues. Net has been used a bit and when it's "idle" there's a bit of tension on the hooks but not a ton. Everything is good so far - I used a lot of infill and 2 extra walls just to beef them up a little bit

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is exactly what I was looking for. Time to dust off the old 3D printer. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored