Sponsored

3D Scanner works... Test prints working great!

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! 1702321625347

This was done in the worst possible way, without any proper setup, and is my first scan ever, but still came out decent. Likely usable for what I want to do with it. But more to come...

I'm going to be making some cargo net quick-release hooks as most nets don't have clips that will (easily/quickly) go over the chonky loop on these things making it a pain to install and remove. So I want to make something that can just pop into the hole on top and latch in, and then quickly pop out with a press of the button. For that, I think this scan will do.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

1702321625347.png

This was done in the worst possible way, without any proper setup, and is my first scan ever, but still came out decent. Likely usable for what I want to do with it. But more to come...

I'm going to be making some cargo net quick-release hooks as most nets don't have clips that will (easily/quickly) go over the chonky loop on these things making it a pain to install and remove. So I want to make something that can just pop into the hole on top and latch in, and then quickly pop out with a press of the button. For that, I think this scan will do.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

If anyone has ideas for an accessory for these holes in the back of the R1S let me know I can try and whip something up. I plan to do a bit more work to make a piece that won't rotate as I might need to offset the hooks for some things I want to do. But open to exploring any ideas other folks might have

Sponsored

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Ok, I am astonished and so very happy. Wanted to design a "shroud" to keep the parts from rotating. This would allow printing "directional" accessories, or pieces with an extension/offset to the side or forward that would just flop/twist around in whatever direction a force was applied.

This requires fairly specific geometry to "lock-in" around the front and sides, and into the little divots where the metal loop meets the "front" of the cargo tie-down, angles and curves...

So I sat down and modeled directly to the scan. Printed a single sample...

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! 1702411820976
Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! 1702411831993

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! QJ4iUC80FfM8HVXgDYY=w1759-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! UcQx_v-kkZsIPPu1PP8=w1838-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0
Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! JkDpaltrN-fk5dhRIIc=w1787-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0
Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! rA4sz2pxWfJzZrf4ObI=w1158-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

It fits PERFECTLY, there's not even a fraction of a mm of "give" or twist. It locked in perfectly first try. The tolerances are PERFECT. I'm astonished. It actually works.

Cost of the scanner is entirely justified. This is an absolute game-changer to know "I want to make something that fits into X" or "I want to make something that X can fit into" - and then you scan X, model/design to it, print, and it just works, or at least is SO close you can dial it in almost instantly opens the door to making/printing so many more things. Couldn't be happier.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Nice work. What kind of printer do you have? I use to work in commercial 3D printing for medical devices and we had some fun with the printers. I’ve still got a shelf of implants, models, tools, etc. that were printed here and there. I’ve been tempted to get one for tinkering at home.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

And a quick test print (didn't even fully clear the support material :D) of a fully locking part...

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! BVcYQkITV713PRlt5pc=w1618-h1035-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! 1RSa_zKScrb6XINQARQ=w1549-h1134-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! 3yf5_8VWYiNg4qW3XIo=w1093-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! PVtAsRLlvXQaJTgSWXA=w1457-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Locks perfectly in! Print orientation will be important as I was a little overzealous in testing twist resistance and started to split a print layer seam apart :D plus there's a lot of refinement yet to be done, but this was a great little experiment and I'll post the final results when I get the "surprise" cargo net at Xmas and can dial everything in.

Offer still stands if anyone else has ideas for something that would be good to print for the quick-release latches. Holders for common items - maybe some clamps for common PVC ODs? That would let you quickly/cheaply fabricate up structures and lock them in and easily pop them out...

Reminds me of when I did a drone remote holder for my kids bike that "snapped" over the handlebars...
Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! vDsp1dzcB4mSzpVy_Rc=w1735-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Rivian R1T R1S 3D Scanner works... Test prints working great! DsxGgRcFZRk-M55C5Go=w1735-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

So could make similar "snap-fit" style connections for PVC pipes

I feel like there could be a lot of uses. Just me know and I can take a swing at something

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Nice work. What kind of printer do you have? I use to work in commercial 3D printing for medical devices and we had some fun with the printers. I’ve still got a shelf of implants, models, tools, etc. that were printed here and there. I’ve been tempted to get one for tinkering at home.
Have a Bambu Carbon X1, love it, best printer I've ever owned. Have the AMS unit as well for multi-color/material printing on the fly

Sponsored

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
Nice job! Did you end up posting the STLs somewhere?
I'd like to print some out myself.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Nice job! Did you end up posting the STLs somewhere?
I'd like to print some out myself.
I did not but since there is interest I will get them up:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6420797

I can upload the "shroud" as well if you think you might need to lock something in "directionally" - I thought I would need to but in the end didn't and didn't want to complicate the prints needlessly

Thingiverse seems moderately broken so I may repost it elsewhere but that'll do for now

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
I did not but since there is interest I will get them up:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6420797

I can upload the "shroud" as well if you think you might need to lock something in "directionally" - I thought I would need to but in the end didn't and didn't want to complicate the prints needlessly

Thingiverse seems moderately broken so I may repost it elsewhere but that'll do for now
Much appreciated! I could see a case for adding the "shroud" piece but is perhaps less important.

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 1500, Tesla Model Y
Shroud is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6420851

I assume you know how to merge everything and adjust as needed?
Thanks. Yes, I can import STLs and modify/remix.
Was already kind of thinking about your first one, with a print-in-place adjustment where it has a swivel for the hook. Maybe a mashup of yours with this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6193940
Just not sure if the swivel provides enough benefit until I print yours and try it out with an as-yet-not-purchased cargo net.
Sponsored