Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

Now that I'm back from the holiday trip, I've continued to work on this. Here is the print from today:

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20231229_151713

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20231229_151845

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20231229_151929

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20231229_150742

As you can see, this is coming along pretty well. I'd say it's very, very viable at this point. There are a bunch of issues that I'm attempting to resolve before publishing it:

• There are two holes poking through the model underneath the handle. You can see them in photo 2.
    • These were really thin and ending up showing during printing.
    • They have been addressed in the model already. Test is printing now.
  • It needs very specific supports, and I need to work through what is best and provide guidance / ensure repeatability should I want to batch produce these.
    • You can see the result of the supports not being quite right in picture 2. Look on the left two corners. See how they don't line up quite right?
    • This is also addressed in the version on the printer now.
    • More are on the bottom too - in picture 3, around where the latch recess is. This print is pending.
  • Infill needs a bit of work. This is a balance between structural stability, print time, and amount of filament for both bits compared to what is in the 1KG roll. Ideally, a handful of these should be just a bit under 1KG. As of right now, I believe it's somewhere around 326 or so.
  • Durability testing is ongoing as well. Many inserts and removals is no problem. Dropping it over and over is no problem either. There is likely a bit of weakness on the layer lines around the opening. I need to find that breaking point.
  • Screw holes aren't quite right. I'm working on this now.
  • I've started looking into what can be done to enable locking. That will not be in the initial release though.
More soon. Here it is installed. It sits less proud than my hand-assembled one, which is great. Also, it took 2 minutes to put together as it's only 4 bolts and nuts.

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20231229_152129
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

I've been working a bit on this, trying to get the supports correct enough to make it acceptable as an item that can be produced:

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20240109_202432

(disregard the line in the front - that is from a filiment roll change)

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 20240109_203507

I think I've nailed it. So much so that I'm looking to move forward on producing a run of them.

If you're interested, there will be a newsletter going out tomorrow with more pictures and what action to take if you want one.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
If you're interested, there will be a newsletter going out tomorrow with more pictures and what action to take if you want one.
Great. I'm very interested in learning more about this product.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Production intent:

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_1973.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_1970.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_1965.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_1964.JPG

Keep in mind that these are still 3D printed. They are also not quite perfect due to the need for supports in general. For instance, here is a zoomed closeup of the passenger top corner -- the worst area:

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_1967.JPG

(again, disregard the line in the middle of the front section)

This is all tied together via M5 x 10mm bolts and standard sized nuts. No posts. No glueing. All printable on a Prusa, Bambu X1/P1, or any other printer that will do 256mm on one axis. The 3D model for this is available here: https://www.printables.com/model/716472-rivian-r1t-and-r1s-center-console-camp-drawer-bolt

I do intend to produce these, likely in very limited quantity. Pricing will be higher mainly due to the long print times associated with them. There will be a bit more detail in the newsletter that will be sent out tomorrow around noon, including pricing and how to get on the list. Depending on how many folks are interested, I may have to purchase additional printing capabilities.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Also - its worth noting that that was posted here and anything made going forward will is done in a slightly lighter shade of black as it matches better with the interior of the car. Best example showing this is the upcoming Aux Cupholder V2:

Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer 1704916750892

(the white balance here makes it look more grey than black, and that is not the case)

Hex is #292929 -- https://www.color-hex.com/color/292929

Ready4Rivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 22 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Plastics Engineer
Clubs

Printed the main drawer in one piece. Only needed to print the front insert separately. Going to line the inside with neoprene next.
Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_5138
Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_5139
Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_5136
Rivian R1T R1S My 3D printed OEM-looking Camp Speaker Drawer IMG_5137

blim

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (on order)
Would gladly pay for one of these :) this is great. Love seeing the progress