Sponsored

5 tire rotation experiences?

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm not going to even get 7,500 miles out of my 21" TIRES.
Not sure how that's possible. I'm on the 22's and have plenty of tread life left at 7,200.
Sponsored

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

If the tread wear is even then the tires are going to wear different front to rear, and if the front wears twice as fast as rear tires, just do the tire replacement in pairs not all for. It may seem like stupid simple math to say but buying 2 tires costs half what 4 cost. If rotating just makes it so all 4 need replacing half as often, what is the cost difference? 1x4=4, 2x2=4, every year or every other year, but same math total sum.
I realize if the wear was uneven and you wanted to average the wear and spread it out over the 4 tires that may squeeze mileage out of a set of imbalanced tires. But if the rear tires wear even and only need replacing a third of the time as result only 2 tires are bought, then 2 tires vs 4 tire cost is maybe just splitting up the cost intervals.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Not sure how that's possible. I'm on the 22's and have plenty of tread life left at 7,200.
I agree, I'm not sure how this is possible either. I use the approved tire tread depth gauge and my dashboard Odometer.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I'm not going to even get 7,500 miles out of my 21" TIRES.
I have 7600 miles on mine and they look great. What on earth are you doing with yours?!

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I do not understand, I drive like an old man, that I am too. I use the regen in place of brakes, I do not tailgate, I anticipate all traffic movements, I rarely pass but if I do it is on the freeway and I pass Semi trucks not the tailgating people behind me. I do not see how I could possibly be causing this. I will stop using 2-wheel conserve mode and will only use standard height.

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I do not understand, I drive like an old man, that I am too. I use the regen in place of brakes, I do not tailgate, I anticipate all traffic movements, I rarely pass but if I do it is on the freeway and I pass Semi trucks not the tailgating people behind me. I do not see how I could possibly be causing this. I will stop using 2-wheel conserve mode and will only use standard height.
I drive at about 80 on the highway, take corners hard enough at least on a weekly basis to squeal the front tires, and drive (accelerate) pretty aggressively because it's fun. I do not tailgate either, and I do try to anticipate traffic, but there are plenty of opportunities I have to use the brakes as well as regen due to the traffic I drive in. I came from driving 2 hot hatches and I have an autocross background (doesn't give me permission to drive like a jerk, and I try not to, but definitely aggressive, so long as I don't inadvertently inconvenience anyone else or put anyone in danger, though I definitely ride the line).

So.

Either it's conserve mode, and that's a huge problem for people who use it (I've used it like...twice and saw not enough range improvement to justify it), OR, you might just have an alignment issue... Might want to talk to service about that.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I drive at about 80 on the highway, take corners hard enough at least on a weekly basis to squeal the front tires, and drive (accelerate) pretty aggressively because it's fun. I do not tailgate either, and I do try to anticipate traffic, but there are plenty of opportunities I have to use the brakes as well as regen due to the traffic I drive in. I came from driving 2 hot hatches and I have an autocross background (doesn't give me permission to drive like a jerk, and I try not to, but definitely aggressive, so long as I don't inadvertently inconvenience anyone else or put anyone in danger, though I definitely ride the line).

So.

Either it's conserve mode, and that's a huge problem for people who use it (I've used it like...twice and saw not enough range improvement to justify it), OR, you might just have an alignment issue... Might want to talk to service about that.
Are your wheels 21" Scorpion Verde?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Keep in mind that Pirelli has confirmed the OEM tires shipped with the Rivian's (and ones marked "Riv Elec-OEM" purchased aftermarket through tirerack, Discount Tire, etc..) have no treadwear warranty, so I'd do a 4-tire rotation to get them off my vehicle sooner, then purchase non-OEM marked tires which will have a treadwear warranty. Keep the spare as a spare...

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Keep in mind that Pirelli has confirmed the OEM tires shipped with the Rivian's (and ones marked "Riv Elec-OEM" purchased aftermarket through tirerack, Discount Tire, etc..) have no treadwear warranty, so I'd do a 4-tire rotation to get them off my vehicle sooner, then purchase non-OEM marked tires which will have a treadwear warranty. Keep the spare as a spare...
I bought my 2 replacements from Rivian, so I guess that means they have no warranty?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I bought my 2 replacements from Rivian, so I guess that means they have no warranty?
They only have "workmanship/defect" warranty, no treadwear warranty.

I only checked for the 20" size as that's what I have.. but in that case there are two different Pirelli Scorpion AT tires of the same size, one without the treadwear warranty, and one with the 50'000 mile treadwear warranty. IDK if the 21" and 22" size tries have a second version available not marked as OEM, you'll have to do the legwork on that, but the 20"s do so there's no way I would purchase another 20" Pirelli from Rivian again as their tires have no treadwear warranty.

You can actually call Pirelli USA at 800-747-3554 (located in GA) to ask if they have a second version (with the treadwear warranty) of your tire available.. they were the ones that told me about the second version with the 50'000 treadwear warranty being available for the 20"s. They were super nice and knowledgeable regarding Rivian tires.

Last edited:

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

They only have "workmanship/defect" warranty, no treadwear warranty.

I only checked for the 20" size as that's what I have.. but in that case there are two different Pirelli Scorpion AT tires of the same size, one without the treadwear warranty, and one with the 50'000 mile treadwear warranty. IDK if the 21" and 22" size tries have a second version available not marked as OEM, you'll have to do the legwork on that, but the 20"s do so there's no way I would purchase another 20" Pirelli from Rivian again as their tires have no treadwear warranty.
I will consider Rivian to be unethical if they sell a tire that is for replacement of an OEM that itself still considered OEM. I use the term OEM, but mean OEM replacement. I will post a negative review about Rivian if they are peddling something that has no warranty when the same OEM Replacement from a different source has the warranty.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I will consider Rivian to be unethical if they sell a tire that is for replacement of an OEM that itself still considered OEM. I use the term OEM, but mean OEM replacement. I will post a negative review about Rivian if they are peddling something that has no warranty when the same OEM Replacement from a different source has the warranty.
In the case of the 20" size, the OEM tire is marked "RIV Rivian, Elect" on the sidewall, the non-OEM tire (with the 50'000 mi treadwear warranty) does not have that marking on the sidewall. They aren't being sneaky, but they're also not telling folks that you can get the same size/tread from the same manufacturer via aftermarket tire shops that has a 50K mi warranty for less than the one they're selling you that doesn't have a warranty.

FWIW- even though the page with the "RIV Rivian, Elect" tire @ $448.23 each indicates a 50K treadwear warranty.. that is an error on Tirerack's part. You can call Pirelli directly and they will 100% confirm the tire with "RIV Rivian, Elect" on it has no treadwear warranty as it is an "OEM tire".

Rivian R1T R1S 5 tire rotation experiences? 1692044784519

Rivian R1T R1S 5 tire rotation experiences? 1692044806893

Last edited:

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I see this as a marketing scam, the tires may have a few % different capacity due to rubber hardness or tread texture, but 50 K vs zero? Now if we were talking about a 1 or 2 hundred dollar tire, but a $450. tire? At that price they should have a full 40 K warranty.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

In the case of the 20" size, the OEM tire is marked "RIV Rivian, Elect" on the sidewall, the non-OEM tire (with the 50'000 mi treadwear warranty) does not have that marking on the sidewall. They aren't being sneaky, but they're also not telling folks that you can get the same size/tread from the same manufacturer via aftermarket tire shops that has a 50K mi warranty for less than the one they're selling you that doesn't have a warranty.

FWIW- even though the page with the "RIV Rivian, Elect" tire @ $448.23 each indicates a 50K treadwear warranty.. that is an error on Tirerack's part. You can call Pirelli directly and they will 100% confirm the tire with "RIV Rivian, Elect" on it has no treadwear warranty as it is an "OEM tire".

1692044784519.png

1692044806893.png
Very interesting that the cost for the version that would include warranty is LESS than the OEM (by almost $90/tire). I would not have expected that...
Sponsored