First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
Rivian? You mean Tesla, who started over a decade ago.

Say what you will about Musk, and I'll say a lot; the Supercharger network was willed into existence out of absolute necessity. If an EV wrapped in a sexy body is the door, reliable L3 networks are the key that unlocked this whole EV revolution.
Geez the Tesla people are sensitive. Tesla yes was the first to really mass produce EVs and start a SC network. Praise to Tesla... But my point is that Rivian for many years (they made lots of these decisions years ago in stealth mode) one of which was the importance of a reliable charging network. Only now are the traditional car makers clicking on to this.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It's interesting but I think most people refill their gas tank at 20-25% as well. Our gx is hard pressed to do 275 miles on a typical tank before we get an itch to visit Arco. Our R1S definitely has more range.

Apartment chargers is definitely chicken and egg syndrome. I've only put in outlets for a couple of tenants. One tenant would rather go to a Tesla sc than have us in their apartment to run the circuit. Another complained that the 20A 120v outlet was to slow for his bolt, to which I responded that "I said if you buy a wall charger we'll hook it up to 240v." Crickets. Those apartments can go up a 30a 240v circuit but only hardwired. A third bought a Tesla, it sat around for a while, then they crashed it and they bought a Kia ice. I was waiting a bit before I offered to install a wall unit off the house meter that could serve most of the carport with about 9kwh. As a landlord, spending money on something that isn't going to make sense, won't make cents.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Market research will determine where she chargers are located by the ev”.s in the area and usage.

Cost for electric vs the sale of the electricity

Rona is the factor =Return on net assets

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
The company announced Friday its CEO would be Seth Cutler, previously president and COO of the charge network EVgo, and a chief infrastructure engineer at Electrify America before that.
At least he knows what NOT to do.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
BMW, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, and Stellantis

Sure, because the best things happen when seven, somewhat EV-skeptical, OEM's who are fueled by ICE profits come together to do anything new. Honda has no EV's, Mercedes is having to restyle all of their EQ-Eggs, GM continues to struggle scaling Ultium and killed off (oh wait, it might be back) their most successful EV to date and Stellantis has been entirely absent from the game. Maybe a case of "new phone, who dis?" strategy.

All of them are known for exceptional software, technology-forward design and tight integration of hardware and software while maintaining exceptional levels of reliability and uptime in their own software platforms, right? That's what I thought.

Wake me up when the first 10,000 stalls go live. I mean, when the first 10,000 stalls are all seamlessly operating, dispensing full-power, at the same time. I'll be waiting....

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Sure, because the best things happen when seven, somewhat EV-skeptical, OEM's who are fueled by ICE profits come together to do anything new. Honda has no EV's, Mercedes is having to restyle all of their EQ-Eggs, GM continues to struggle scaling Ultium and killed off (oh wait, it might be back) their most successful EV to date and Stellantis has been entirely absent from the game. Maybe a case of "new phone, who dis?" strategy.

All of them are known for exceptional software, technology-forward design and tight integration of hardware and software while maintaining exceptional levels of reliability and uptime in their own software platforms, right? That's what I thought.

Wake me up when the first 10,000 stalls go live. I mean, when the first 10,000 stalls are all seamlessly operating, dispensing full-power, at the same time. I'll be waiting....
To be fair, I would say only 5 of them are EV skeptical. I think Hyundai-Kia is making much more significant investment in EVs than the others. It's almost a shame they didn't partner up with their GA "neighbor" Rivian instead of these other manufacturers.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
I totally understand what you're saying. These targets are always aspirational at best. I just think more functioning charges is better.
A charger working plan is not as useful as an actual working charger.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

If they identify locations and start applying for permits now they might even get one open in the next 18-24 months. Hard to to see them getting these built out in any large quantity on that timeline.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would have accepted "Wow this is really old news" instead of this dribble.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...-hyundai-kia-mercedes-stellantis/70470453007/

But hey, it takes time to plan these things out doesn't it?

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
The issue with dcfc is the cost
I disagree that it’s closed. But after this year. The majority will be able to use it.
It's still a closed system, Tesla controls it and the vehicle makers agreed to the Tesla terms.

Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Market research will determine where she chargers are located by the ev”.s in the area and usage.

Cost for electric vs the sale of the electricity

Rona is the factor =Return on net assets
The problem is the costs for dcfc. It's not a good idea for small business to install dcfc due to the high costs of hardware, design, permits and installation. Then there is the operating cost that will kill off the idea due to demand charges. Demand charges need to be reworked to amortize over a number of years or better yet spread that cost over the customer base. This will allow smaller players into the game.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Because I know you value my uniformed opinion, I'm 10% hopeful Ionna will be successful. But I'm 90% sure Ionna will amount to nothing more than a bloated and ineffective bureaucracy. 😞😞

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
The group might be able to get their implemented numbers up comparatively quickly by locating a high percentage of these facilities at existing dealerships. Not what many (most?) of us are looking for, but in many parts of the country dealerships are are off an interstate or highway; one of the stated criteria.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The improved future chargers that smaller, aren't as expensive for businesses to install and require drivers to use their own cables will allow truck stops and other places near highways to add more chargers per location.

They would be dumb to not take advantage of this. Imagine Bucee's installing 50 chargers and at least 25 of those folks are lost in the store for 30+ minutes eating BBQ and buying drinks.

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Ok, still reading full thread but let's break out some strong coffee and wake up.

In the USA, According to the latest available data, there are approximately 2,442,270 electric vehicles. Now 30,000 charges over 5 years. spread out will provide about 20 new Chargers per EV's per year. Google says Tesla built 1.8 million vehicles last year. As of July 2023, there are 32,000 publicly available DC fast-chargers in the U.S.,

Crunch the numbers any way you like.
We don't have the infrastructure to support the numbers of new, let alone existing EV's and hybrids. Add 30,000 new DC Hyper Fast Chargers per year. Then I would say..... maybe, I can find a Charger closer than ten miles from home. And that 10 mile trip allows 1 working charger I do not have to pay $10.00 To park at for a 1 hour session yielding less that 200 miles of electric juice! I am Charged but not my vehicle.

Of my soapbox, sorry. Bought the EV only to become a second class citizens when it comes to getting "fuel" for my vehicle.
Sponsored