Sponsored

Absolutely Bizarre Charging Experience in Norfolk

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Intrigued to know what adapter you attempted to use, tested my A2Z at this Tesla location when it arrived, and then flawlessly used the EVGO Saturday.
Sponsored

Reactions: Vik
OP
OP

planetcase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023
We went to southern Duck (from Lancaster PA) for years and I always felt sorry for the people who had to continue north another hour or more in bumper-to-bumper traffic another 16-17 miles to Corolla. I can't imagine the stress in the car as you watched the remaining mileage creep down into the single digits.

You sound like an affable guy - should that ever happen again you could probably pull into any development on the right along Duck Road (so you can make a right to continue your journey) and look for an occupied house with a sign showing it's a rental. Knock on the door and ask if you can plug into their dryer outlet for 15 minutes - I can't imagine anyone saying "No" (they're not paying the electric bill). It's the "old school" equivalent of asking to use someone's landline because your car broke down nearby. We went to Cancun this year instead of Duck, but I would have gladly welcomed you to our rental on E Bias Lane...
Thank you for your kind words and kind reply.

I think you are absolutely right. That would be a great solution if we ever got into that situation again. Once I got into the Outer Banks and was on route 12, I relaxed a little bit, knowing that I could pull off if necessary.

Thank you again! Have a great summer!

Bob R1T

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S
Occupation
architect
Clubs

First of all, I want to say, that nothing I write here is critical of any person or group of people. I am just stating the facts, and I can't tell there story without stating the facts .... which are well.... bizarre.

Last week we went down to the outer banks.... Corolla, NC.....from Maryland. On the way down I planned out the trip. Rivian GPS directed me to stop north of Richmond, and then again in Newport News/Norfolk area . The first stop north of Richmond went great. The 2nd stop directed me to a Tesla station at a Wawa, where there was also an EVGO.

All 11 Tesla chargers were open. My adapter didn't work. Ugh. Shame on me, for never testing it. I also didn't realize that anywhere south of Norfolk, there are only 11kw chargers at best. I had to reach our beach rental , where I would charge off the dryer outlet.

Traffic was building, and instead of 2 more hours, the traffic would be closer to 4 hours. I needed a little bit of charge and no choice to stop at the EVGO, or I would not make it to Corolla. With Tesla not working, I went over to the other side of the Wawa to the EVGO.

At the EVGO, there were cars already charging. I asked politely how long each car would be charging, and I was told "why don't you take your fancy car somewhere else?" (Note that I am being kind here). I was then told that this was the place local drivers charge for free, and that one lady was saving the spot for her Mom who was arriving in 20 minutes. It was not the cleanest or safest neighborhood. But I had put myself in a bad spot. I needed charge. If I didn't charge I would be risking running out of battery.

Both women were having a problem getting their cars to charge, and the chargers would work for 5 minutes and then click off. I asked if I could help and I was asked why don't sexually experiment with myself. After an hour waiting, I offered 20 dollars for 5 minutes of charging (not to the person whose Mom had arrived). The person I offered $20 bucks to was transvestite prostitute from DC. The latter she told me several times, and the former was obvious (think of the famous 1970 song by the Kinks). I will call her Lola. Lola said, "Baby, you want 5 minutes of my time for 20 minutes? You insult me!" But then she said yes and I handed over an Andrew Jackson. This was so weird it was funny, especially with my wife and teenagers watching. Kind of funny anyway. I made it clear that all I wanted to pay for was the charge .... and that's it.

The situation quickly went south . Lola agreed to let me have 5 minutes "but not a second more" for $20, "and I am going to time you." That was fine with me. Time away!. Lola move the car, and as I pulled mine up, a man parked at the Wawa drove up way too fast nearly rammed me, got out, and told me he was next. I tried to tell him that Lola and I had a verbal contract. But he wasn't listening. He ripped the charger out of my hand and threatened to fight, and called me a name that suggested that I was sexually active with my mom. At this point I am wondering if I was on some type of crazy TV show. Candid Camera, What Would You Do? Just bizarre. No I was not going to fight. Apparently I wasn't going to get my $20 bucks back either. I drove south.

Long story short I made it to our beach house with 5 miles of charge left.

I have learned a bit more about EVGo and will pass on these stations unless absolutely necessary and in better locations. I love my Rivian. This does not discourage me from doing trips. I have several more planned. But I am going to plan my trips to stop at RAN or Tesla (yup got the correct adapter now). And I will not put myself in a situation like that again.

All true. In fact, I held back. :)
Yep, I've been to those 2 evGo's at Military Highway WAWA 5 times. Never got a charger to work, even after their resetting the unit multiple times. I finally installed T universal charger at my favorite hotel that I visit quite often. Now I enjoy no on the road charging for those business trips.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Step 1 - Get the NACS adapter working and practice with it.
Step 2 - Go to www.tesla.com/nacs and find the chargers it works at.
Step 3 - Get plugshare, and ABRP to help plan.

I make that trip kind of regularly. The Tesla SC in Chesapeake off 168, south of where you were, is usually sorta busy but I've never had an issue.

I usually have more problems charging once I get to Corolla. There is on SC in Nags Head (the one at the mall, not the one at the Harris Teeter!) that supports NACS.

Sponsored

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

I make that trip kind of regularly. The Tesla SC in Chesapeake off 168, south of where you were, is usually sorta busy but I've never had an issue.

I usually have more problems charging once I get to Corolla. There is on SC in Nags Head (the one at the mall, not the one at the Harris Teeter!) that supports NACS.
Doing a long weekend with my R1T and rtt next weekend in obx, happy to see the Tesla SC in nags head suddenly allows non teslas

BillWest6

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, FG, FE,21" Road, Large Pack
In defense of Norfolk area charging their are six Tesla Superchargers in the Norfolk/Chesapeake/Virginia Beach area open to Rivian's with a NACS adapter. One of those is about 3 miles from where this bizarre event occurred. Also five EVGo chargers. Could have easily moved to a different charger.

Song Sparrow

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 450h+, Maverick hybrid, R1S coming soon!

Thank you so much for this post. We are picking our R1S on Saturday, and while I have been driving EVs for years, I've never taken a road trip in one. My son and I are going to visit family on the Olympic Peninsula north of Seattle in August (from south Orange County, CA), and he really wants to take the R1S. My husband thinks I'm crazy and says I should take the Lexus PHEV. We charge at home, and I have always been apprehensive about driving anywhere I would have to depend on public charging. Plugshare and ABRP look to be extremely useful, so thanks for sharing!

Also to OP: Sorry to hear what you had to go through to charge. I'm a big chicken and don't like confrontation, so I probably would have been terrified in that situation.

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
In defense of Norfolk area charging their are six Tesla Superchargers in the Norfolk/Chesapeake/Virginia Beach area open to Rivian's with a NACS adapter. One of those is about 3 miles from where this bizarre event occurred. Also five EVGo chargers. Could have easily moved to a different charger.
Where is this mythical other evgo in the area with five chargers?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

After this experience it seems a family meeting is in order so that everyone knows their role if Dad is ever extorted and/ or assaulted at another charger. Make them a decision tree.
  1. Only allow Dad to keep $20 in his wallet so he isn't mugged while standing there negotiating with Lola.
  2. Someone record the entire interaction.
  3. Someone else have 911 ready to call on their phone.
  4. Someone else cause a distraction by getting out of the Rivian and screaming while blowing an airhorn.
  5. Grab Dad and escape before the entire neighborhood descends on the scene.

gordonherbert

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

First of all, I want to say, that nothing I write here is critical of any person or group of people. I am just stating the facts, and I can't tell there story without stating the facts .... which are well.... bizarre.

Last week we went down to the outer banks.... Corolla, NC.....from Maryland. On the way down I planned out the trip. Rivian GPS directed me to stop north of Richmond, and then again in Newport News/Norfolk area . The first stop north of Richmond went great. The 2nd stop directed me to a Tesla station at a Wawa, where there was also an EVGO.

All 11 Tesla chargers were open. My adapter didn't work. Ugh. Shame on me, for never testing it. I also didn't realize that anywhere south of Norfolk, there are only 11kw chargers at best. I had to reach our beach rental , where I would charge off the dryer outlet.

Traffic was building, and instead of 2 more hours, the traffic would be closer to 4 hours. I needed a little bit of charge and no choice to stop at the EVGO, or I would not make it to Corolla. With Tesla not working, I went over to the other side of the Wawa to the EVGO.

At the EVGO, there were cars already charging. I asked politely how long each car would be charging, and I was told "why don't you take your fancy car somewhere else?" (Note that I am being kind here). I was then told that this was the place local drivers charge for free, and that one lady was saving the spot for her Mom who was arriving in 20 minutes. It was not the cleanest or safest neighborhood. But I had put myself in a bad spot. I needed charge. If I didn't charge I would be risking running out of battery.

Both women were having a problem getting their cars to charge, and the chargers would work for 5 minutes and then click off. I asked if I could help and I was asked why don't sexually experiment with myself. After an hour waiting, I offered 20 dollars for 5 minutes of charging (not to the person whose Mom had arrived). The person I offered $20 bucks to was transvestite prostitute from DC. The latter she told me several times, and the former was obvious (think of the famous 1970 song by the Kinks). I will call her Lola. Lola said, "Baby, you want 5 minutes of my time for 20 minutes? You insult me!" But then she said yes and I handed over an Andrew Jackson. This was so weird it was funny, especially with my wife and teenagers watching. Kind of funny anyway. I made it clear that all I wanted to pay for was the charge .... and that's it.

The situation quickly went south . Lola agreed to let me have 5 minutes "but not a second more" for $20, "and I am going to time you." That was fine with me. Time away!. Lola move the car, and as I pulled mine up, a man parked at the Wawa drove up way too fast nearly rammed me, got out, and told me he was next. I tried to tell him that Lola and I had a verbal contract. But he wasn't listening. He ripped the charger out of my hand and threatened to fight, and called me a name that suggested that I was sexually active with my mom. At this point I am wondering if I was on some type of crazy TV show. Candid Camera, What Would You Do? Just bizarre. No I was not going to fight. Apparently I wasn't going to get my $20 bucks back either. I drove south.

I have learned a bit more about EVGo and will pass on these stations unless absolutely necessary and in better locations. I love my Rivian. This does not discourage me from doing trips. I have several more planned. But I am going to plan my trips to stop at RAN or Tesla (yup got the correct adapter now). And I will not put myself in a situation like that again.

I’m sorry you had this mis-adventure, especially with your family.

I had a similar (functional) visit to a Tesla charging station in rural NC. Pulled up with boat in tow for a charge before getting to Topsail Island, which is an EV desert. Plugged in my brand new adapter and hooked up the Tesla charger and … nothing. Tried another charger and the same. Hooked up to a Level 2 charger sponsored by the local electric company and went to have lunch. Returned with no drama and continued on to a Tesla SC in Wilmington, which worked fine. No interesting story to relate because everyone was polite and helpful. But, I did discover that not all Tesla stations will charge non-Tesla EVs. Now I use the Tesla app with the filter to make sure which ones are available to my Rivian. Live and learn…

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress

😁

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
After this experience it seems a family meeting is in order so that everyone knows their role if Dad is ever extorted and/ or assaulted at another charger. Make them a decision tree.
  1. Only allow Dad to keep $20 in his wallet so he isn't mugged while standing there negotiating with Lola.
  2. Someone record the entire interaction.
  3. Someone else have 911 ready to call on their phone.
  4. Someone else cause a distraction by getting out of the Rivian and screaming while blowing an airhorn.
  5. Grab Dad and escape before the entire neighborhood descends on the scene.
👍🏼😬
Sponsored