Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
The reason it's not out yet is exactly BECAUSE Rivian has been waiting for the third parties like Enphase to release V2H bidirectional chargers. Many have been promising and teasing for years, but still none of them are available. The vehicle itself is capable, but the bidirectional chargers just don't exist yet.
Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
This will be interesting to see how they implement it and whether it can replace existing chargers and be tuned down to back feed at 240/60a but that doesn’t really seem like the intention here. The intention may be something a lot cooler.

24kw is 200a of residential power which makes a lot of sense as this could entirely power a whole house assuming they could get two split phase legs out of the inverter which is already a technology that exists. 200a is the most common service size in the US.

Hypothetically, While you would need some pretty beefy service entry cable and some type of switchover gear, you wouldn’t necessarily need a separate panel for critical loads. Those of us with smart breakers would presumably be able to automate load shedding at the breaker level using our existing tech. Honestly, a 24kw DC output may be the simplest, most elegant, and highest capacity solution to V2H that skips a lot of the variables and other installation headaches that a smaller capacity AC output might provide - it very well might end up being the premium solution.

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

help me understand what 24kWh DC means for powering a home... how many days of power would that provide without draining the battery to 0 if your avg. daily need is, say 2 kWh? Is that 12 days of power before my truck battery is drained? My needs at my cabin are about 2kWh but a home would be substantially more
When I charge my charger says I put 34 kWh of electricity into the battery, so minus the loss, say 30’kWh hours back?
I won't be getting my R2 until 2027/2028 but this will likely be reality by then:

Rivian Plans A Charger That Can Power Your House (insideevs.com)
I didn’t see anything about a transfer switch, I wonder how many people realize that is needed.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
24 kw @240v is 100 amps! Hopefully this is not just gen 2. Rj has repeatedly said the vehicle already has the hardware capable. It just needs to be enabled by software so that tells me gen one will be capable of this as well hopefully.
24 kW is high voltage DC. Much more efficient.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Hope they have some sort of trade in program with our current chargers otherwise it will create a lot of waste.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hope they have some sort of trade in program with our current chargers otherwise it will create a lot of waste.
It’s not even remotely comparable. The equipment for 24kw dc V2H like this is going to be much more intensive and won’t leverage any of the same stuff.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This will be interesting to see how they implement it and whether it can replace existing chargers and be tuned down to back feed at 240/60a but that doesn’t really seem like the intention here. The intention may be something a lot cooler.

24kw is 200a of residential power which makes a lot of sense as this could entirely power a whole house assuming they could get two split phase legs out of the inverter which is already a technology that exists. 200a is the most common service size in the US.

Hypothetically, While you would need some pretty beefy service entry cable and some type of switchover gear, you wouldn’t necessarily need a separate panel for critical loads. Those of us with smart breakers would presumably be able to automate load shedding at the breaker level using our existing tech. Honestly, a 24kw DC output may be the simplest, most elegant, and highest capacity solution to V2H that skips a lot of the variables and other installation headaches that a smaller capacity AC output might provide - it very well might end up being the premium solution.
24 kW is HV DC only. You will need an inverter to convert it to power your house. Could theoretically use any hybrid solar inverter but Tesla and Ford both use expensive proprietary inverters.
For AC, (only R2 will have built in inverter) direct from the car, max is 11 kW.

NDIrish

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineering Operations Manager
Clubs

It should act just like a battery storage during an outage. You will need a grid disconnect to use it. Once they announce the specs I’m going to talk to my solar guy to see if my Tesla power wall can tie into it or if I need additional pieces.
I am similar... I assume eventually I would just want the Rivian to charge the Power Wall.. Power Wall already powers the house and is safely separated from the grid... So should be simplest update if needed (but really it would be a backup to my backup... )

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 kW is HV DC only. You will need an inverter to convert it to power your house. Could theoretically use any hybrid solar inverter but Tesla and Ford both use expensive proprietary inverters.
For AC, (only R2 will have built in inverter) direct from the car, max is 11 kW.
That’s why I am hoping for split legs from the inverter… Obviously nobody thinks they can just plug in their car directly to a transfer switch.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That’s why I am hoping for split legs from the inverter… Obviously nobody thinks they can just plug in their car directly to a transfer switch.
You should be able to plug 240 AC from the R2 built in inverter to a home transfer switch and get 11 kW.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It’s not even remotely comparable. The equipment for 24kw dc V2H like this is going to be much more intensive and won’t leverage any of the same stuff.

Yes.... That's why I said trade in program 😂.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Never underestimate what people are thinking….😉

Reactions: VSG

Dawgtoberfest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’ve been waiting for this since we got the car! Our neighborhood is powered by above ground power and it is far from reliable. Problem is I’m a total rookie when it comes to home electrical outside of swapping light switches. Anyone have an idea on the cost to update the electrical on the house to receive power?

I know a lot “depends” on the home/electrical but didn’t know if there was a ballpark figure. I can always ask an electrician once it comes out but was just curious. At a certain price point wonder if a normal generator is wiser.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been waiting for this since we got the car! Our neighborhood is powered by above ground power and it is far from reliable. Problem is I’m a total rookie when it comes to home electrical outside of swapping light switches. Anyone have an idea on the cost to update the electrical on the house to receive power?

I know a lot “depends” on the home/electrical but didn’t know if there was a ballpark figure. I can always ask an electrician once it comes out but was just curious. At a certain price point wonder if a normal generator is wiser.
Here is an article about the Ford setup….
Sponsored