Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I live in Phoenix, AZ area (Scottsdale) where it's quite warm in the summer. Because car interiors can be hellishly hot, I like the AC to blow on my face when I first get in the vehicle. However, the center vents are low on the dash and I can't get that center vent to blow air high enough so that it hits my face. The side vent, while higher, does not seem to blow on my face either. It misses to the left and can't seem to be moved toward the center of the car enough. Does anyone else have trouble adjusting the vents to blow on their face? I'm open to other solutions...

I suppose I could move the seat lower, but a suboptimal driving position is not a good solution. Note: I am not too tall. I'm 5'9".
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
I live somewhere that is currently 1/2 the temperature of Scottsdale (according to my angry friend who lives there and reminds me to stop complaining about California Cold) … but I still like very much to precondition the cabin if it’s out in the sun. I find that even when the cabin is >110, it cools off in a matter of a couple of minutes.

This doesn’t directly solve your problem, but it’s available in the app and seems like a decent way to avoid the blast furnace.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I live in Phoenix, AZ area (Scottsdale) where it's quite warm in the summer. Because car interiors can be hellishly hot, I like the AC to blow on my face when I first get in the vehicle. However, the center vents are low on the dash and I can't get that center vent to blow air high enough so that it hits my face. The side vent, while higher, does not seem to blow on my face either. It misses to the left and can't seem to be moved toward the center of the car enough. Does anyone else have trouble adjusting the vents to blow on their face? I'm open to other solutions...

I suppose I could move the seat lower, but a suboptimal driving position is not a good solution. Note: I am not too tall. I'm 5'9".
I noticed that the glass gets hot and radiates heat. It does not matter what I do with the vents. Bought a shade for roof and I am happy. I am in PNW, so will remove the shade once it cools down.

Operator

First Name
Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Try turning the vent itself off. Wait ten seconds then turn it back on again. I have an issue that has been acknowledged by service where the vents like to blow on the window. Short term fix is to turn vent off and back on again wait ten seconds in between off and on.

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I will give turning off vent, then on a try, but i am thinking the location of the vents is a design flaw. Hope I’m wrong. I like the R1S otherwise.

Very different driving feel and experience than my model S. Not better or worse, just different. And it should be different because it’s a very different kind of vehicle.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

same. i cannot get it to blow in my face due to the location of the vents. ive tried turning the vents on/off and doing a reset. its just the location and design that's an issue. unfortunately poor design.

JohnB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura/Mazda
same. i cannot get it to blow in my face due to the location of the vents. ive tried turning the vents on/off and doing a reset. its just the location and design that's an issue. unfortunately poor design.
On the climate screen, just move the vents around on the touch screen. Up or down or sideways.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

On the climate screen, just move the vents around on the touch screen. Up or down or sideways.
Some people do that and the air cannot be directed at their face as they want because of a combination of the vent locations & adjustability and their seating position & head location.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Welcome to R1 life (positive). I'm on my second summer with an R1 in AZ. Unfortunately, the left vent is poorly designed, with the wood dash blocking nearly 75% of all the air that could be pointed towards your body or face. It doesn't matter where you position it, the dash blocks it and the bulk is either flowing downwards or into the drivers window area.

I'm building a deflector (temp) which helps reposition the airflow more towards the driver, but overall, you are out of luck. Sorry.

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

Welcome to R1 life (positive). I'm on my second summer with an R1 in AZ. Unfortunately, the left vent is poorly designed, with the wood dash blocking nearly 75% of all the air that could be pointed towards your body or face. It doesn't matter where you position it, the dash blocks it and the bulk is either flowing downwards or into the drivers window area.

I'm building a deflector (temp) which helps reposition the airflow more towards the driver, but overall, you are out of luck. Sorry.
Develop a nice one (matching wood?) for passenger side and name your price. Happy wife, happy life…

Sponsored

JBo1828

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
VP
I will give turning off vent, then on a try, but i am thinking the location of the vents is a design flaw. Hope I’m wrong. I like the R1S otherwise.

Very different driving feel and experience than my model S. Not better or worse, just different. And it should be different because it’s a very different kind of vehicle.
It’s funny you say that, I was also a Model S driver and I feel like it drives JUST like a big Model S (that’s how I describe how it drives to people who ask) 😅 What do you find different? For me everything from power delivery to regenerative braking and even steering feel are almost identical to Model S. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

It’s funny you say that, I was also a Model S driver and I feel like it drives JUST like a big Model S (that’s how I describe how it drives to people who ask) 😅 What do you find different? For me everything from power delivery to regenerative braking and even steering feel are almost identical to Model S. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I have an early Model S P85 (Feb 2014), so no brake holds at stop lights, rear wheel drive only, no autopilot, etc. However my Model S has been a fantastic car for 9.5 years! I will have to sell it because I have no room in garage for 4 cars. I never supercharged much, but it's of the vintage that has free supercharging for life (unless Tesla gets it...).

The EV part of both vehicles are the same.: Great torque and acceleration. Steering is lighter and feels more responsive in the Rivian compared to my Model S. Is there a way to change the light steering to feel a little heavier (sportier), but still responsive in the Rivian?

Except for the fact that the Rivian has very little lean when cornering, I think it drives like a truck when going over bumps. It seems very floaty and I have the porpoising issue when crossing intersections. My wife just had her first ride in it, and she commented that it rides like a truck. I haven't played with different suspension modes yet, however. And maybe that's a software fix.

One thing that is very different is reversing. I find it very difficult to reverse in the Rivian, and if you lean to look out the driver window while backing up into a tight spot, for example, it goes into park. Grrr. Hope that can be fixed with software, too.
The other thing that is very different is that the Tesla is easier to feather the accelerator so that you are neither accelerating or regenning. But after driving the Rivian for 4 days, I am starting to really like the strong regen.

JBo1828

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
VP
Yeah, I think the throttle on the newer Model S is a lot more similar. I also had a 2014 Model S and I would agree it’s definitely different than that.

What suspension mode are you running? I generally drive in low and that is very similar to the Tesla, but auto and high do drive more truck-like and handle speed bumps much better.

As for backing into tight spots, use the overhead camera, it’s fantastic! You can park on a dime and never have to take your eyes off the center screen 👌🏻

Operator

First Name
Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have an early Model S P85 (Feb 2014), so no brake holds at stop lights, rear wheel drive only, no autopilot, etc. However my Model S has been a fantastic car for 9.5 years! I will have to sell it because I have no room in garage for 4 cars. I never supercharged much, but it's of the vintage that has free supercharging for life (unless Tesla gets it...).

The EV part of both vehicles are the same.: Great torque and acceleration. Steering is lighter and feels more responsive in the Rivian compared to my Model S. Is there a way to change the light steering to feel a little heavier (sportier), but still responsive in the Rivian?

Except for the fact that the Rivian has very little lean when cornering, I think it drives like a truck when going over bumps. It seems very floaty and I have the porpoising issue when crossing intersections. My wife just had her first ride in it, and she commented that it rides like a truck. I haven't played with different suspension modes yet, however. And maybe that's a software fix.

One thing that is very different is reversing. I find it very difficult to reverse in the Rivian, and if you lean to look out the driver window while backing up into a tight spot, for example, it goes into park. Grrr. Hope that can be fixed with software, too.
The other thing that is very different is that the Tesla is easier to feather the accelerator so that you are neither accelerating or regenning. But after driving the Rivian for 4 days, I am starting to really like the strong regen.
It going into park is because your not buckled up. I was so effing ticked when I couldn't back out of my driveway. Stupid safety feature that you can't disable.

Mickey

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired

Do you know that you can touch-drag the vent icons on the fan and vents display screen? Once I discovered this, I can easily adjust all vents to point where I need them. Also, I don't know but it also seems that the more I "stretch" open a vent icon, the stronger the airflow.
Sponsored