Sponsored

Any recommendations on 22" Tire Replacement

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I have 27k Miles on my R1S with the factory 22" on it. It's time to change to a new set of tires. Went to Les Schwab to get a few quotes and looks like it's about 3k for a new set of the originals but they gave a couple of other options as well. The one the fellow recommended was this one: Open Range HTS for about $1900

Anyone have anything that they've tried that they would recommend?
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I have a couple of our jack puck customers using the Mazana HTS (other sizes) and say they are fantastic. Quiet, solid in the rain and slush (for a road tire). Made in Thailand, have a solid reputation and if Les Scwhab is your go-to, they will take care of you. Tires are a bit like pizza though, as everyone has a taste they like.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That Open Range Isn't available in the correct size or load rating. I can recommend the Continental Terrain Contact HT in the OE size. It's not the preferred HL 116 load index but is an acceptable 115 XL. It's what I'm running and I'm very happy with it

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
That Open Range Isn't available in the correct size or load rating. I can recommend the Continental Terrain Contact HT in the OE size. It's not the preferred HL 116 load index but is an acceptable 115 XL. It's what I'm running and I'm very happy with it
Thanks much. The fellow at Les Schwab swore up and down that this would fit on the rims etc. but I remember when I got winter tires a while back there was a very small selection of tires that actually worked on these rims. So you don't figure the one he's quoting will work eh? The model he says was 285/45R-22XL 114H OPEN RANGE HTS

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I have a couple of our jack puck customers using the Mazana HTS (other sizes) and say they are fantastic. Quiet, solid in the rain and slush (for a road tire). Made in Thailand, have a solid reputation and if Les Scwhab is your go-to, they will take care of you. Tires are a bit like pizza though, as everyone has a taste they like.
I'm looking for something that has a bit more life than the ones I'm replacing. 28k miles seems a bit short and apparently some of Les Schwabs have a 70k mileage guarantee or something.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Thanks much. The fellow at Les Schwab swore up and down that this would fit on the rims etc. but I remember when I got winter tires a while back there was a very small selection of tires that actually worked on these rims. So you don't figure the one he's quoting will work eh? The model he says was 285/45R-22XL 114H OPEN RANGE HTS
Yes, they'll fit on the rims. They probably won't rub but it's possible the slightly wider tire could rub in the lower suspension settings, especially when going over speed bumps. It's the 114 load rating that I have problems with. Rivian spec is a HL 116, but a 115 XL has been deemed acceptable (but not preferred) per Rivian Service - and early Rivian deliveries were on 115s. I would not go so low as a 114. Static load capacity is fine but may not provide enough margin under extreme circumstances such as emergency maneuvers. Rivians are very heavy vehicles.

The Continentals I recommended also have a good tread wear warranty. You're lucky you got 28k miles out of your stock tires, I only got about 10k.

Here's the link to the Conti on the Les Schwab site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Yes, they'll fit on the rims. They probably won't rub but it's possible the slightly wider tire could rub in the lower suspension settings, especially when going over speed bumps. It's the 114 load rating that I have problems with. Rivian spec is a HL 116, but a 115 XL has been deemed acceptable (but not preferred) per Rivian Service - and early Rivian deliveries were on 115s. I would not go so low as a 114. Static load capacity is fine but may not provide enough margin under extreme circumstances such as emergency maneuvers. Rivians are very heavy vehicles.

The Continentals I recommended also have a good tread wear warranty. You're lucky you got 28k miles out of your stock tires, I only got about 10k.

Perfect thanks. One more quick question since you mentioned rubbing (hadn't even thought about this) do the tires you have rub on low settings or is there enough clearance that you don't have to worry about it? Thanks!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Perfect thanks. One more quick question since you mentioned rubbing (hadn't even thought about this) do the tires you have rub on low settings or is there enough clearance that you don't have to worry about it? Thanks!
The Continentals I bought are stock size so zero rubbing at any height.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm looking for something that has a bit more life than the ones I'm replacing. 28k miles seems a bit short and apparently some of Les Schwabs have a 70k mileage guarantee or something.
When looking at tires for heavy vehicles there are some basic requirements, with Load Range and Speed Rating being the two most often associated with safety on a heavy EV. We own both an R1T on 20's and an R1S on 21's.

The tires you mention are Load Range 114, which is too low. Your OEM's are 116. Les Schwab should not even put them on your vehicle. Places like Discount Tire and Costco won't even put on 115 Load Range eventhough the early R1's came with them. It's a safety issue, so call them back up and get another tire recommedation. I would absolutely accept a 115 Load Rating, if you're not doing any heavy towing, as that tire came on Rivian's from the factory.

Agree with everything ^^^. You don't want a 114 Load Rated tire. 115 XL or the 116 HL are acceptable. Don't get caught up in tire wear guarantees, as there fine print, eliminates any real benefit. If you run your R1 in Conserve mode quite a bit, the front wheel drive loading will cause premature tire wear.

We have both an R1T and R1S in our family, so we stay on top of the Tire Safety Ratings, run in All Purpose mode 90%+ of the time and rotate tires accordingly. There are some outstanding tire choices, but a Load Rating of 114 is not one of them.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Don't get too caught up in mileage warranty/guarantees, as the fine print eliminates any real cost advantage of early wear. If you run quite a bit in Conserve mode on your R1S, then getting 30K miles out of the OEM tires is actually pretty good.

Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

I have 27k Miles on my R1S with the factory 22" on it. It's time to change to a new set of tires. Went to Les Schwab to get a few quotes and looks like it's about 3k for a new set of the originals but they gave a couple of other options as well. The one the fellow recommended was this one: Open Range HTS for about $1900

Anyone have anything that they've tried that they would recommend?
General grabber HTS60, or

if you plan to keep your Rivian for awhile then moving to the 20” tire is the best option. You can get the rims from tire rack plus tires for less than $3k. Or you can get Atomic Wheels rims plus tires for. ~$3.5k. Replacement tires would only be $1k.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Continental terrain contact HT in 275/50/22 is the tire to get, or AT if you want all terrain. I went with the AT and it’s great so far. Smoother ride and still handles well. About a 7% efficiency drop vs stock so not bad with an AT tire. HT should be similar efficiency to stock.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
According to Tire Rack, the Conti has better wet performance than the Goodyear - which could be a deciding factor for the OP in the Seattle area.
Sponsored