Sponsored

Any updates on when NACS port will be added to the R1T / R1S?

Shpollak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Advertising
Anybody have any new insight or info on then the NACS port will be standard on all new R1S’s? My 2nd R1S can be delivered in the next 2-3 weeks but I’m in no hurry and could wait longer if the new port was standard in the next 3-6 months.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian is still saying 2025.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

None of the carmakers have said anything sooner than "2025". A couple have even specified that it will be 2026 model year vehicles, so likely late 2025 for at least those. I wouldn't count on any early 2025 model year vehicles having it.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I would like to think that Rivian would mount the NACS port as soon as they possibly could. For every new Rivian that came equipped with the NACS port is an adapter that they would not have to provide.

Brian

Simplejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
I asked Rivian that same question today on their chat and they said 2025/26. I was researching getting a left over 23 or new 24, hoping maybe 24s would have it. Who knows if the person I was talking to actually knew but that was the answer I got.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Has Rivian ever said (officially, that is) that they will be putting a NACS port on the R1?

I think it's safe to assume that it will happen at some point in the future, but that's not soon.

The R2 is going to have a NACS port in 2026. Until then, there are adapters. Switching to NACS in the R1 line is a huge expense which Rivian shouldn't even be considering until after it reaches gross profitability on vehicle sales later this year. It also seems to be a bit silly to do it before the RAN has put in NACS plugs, and we haven't even heard a peep about that yet.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Has Rivian ever said (officially, that is) that they will be putting a NACS port on the R1?

I think it's safe to assume that it will happen at some point in the future, but that's not soon.

The R2 is going to have a NACS port in 2026. Until then, there are adapters. Switching to NACS in the R1 line is a huge expense which Rivian shouldn't even be considering until after it reaches gross profitability on vehicle sales later this year. It also seems to be a bit silly to do it before the RAN has put in NACS plugs, and we haven't even heard a peep about that yet.
Not only that, but they likely have a ton of the CCS connectors likely in inventory and/or on order. I'd bet the delta in whatever they're paying for the CCS-NACS adapters wouldn't cover the cost of retooling and re-configuring their manufacturing lines, let alone scrapping whatever inventory they already have for the assemblies.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The R2 is going to have a NACS port in 2026. Until then, there are adapters
After then, there are adapters too.

Should I wait for Rivian vehicles to be built with NACS charge ports?
No. Whether your vehicle is built with a CCS charge port or NACS charge port, adapters will be available so that you have access to Rivian Adventure Network, Tesla Superchargers and third-party CCS networks.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I think the smart people will want to get a reverse CCS to Tesla adapter. Once Rivians have NACS. The reasoning is more chargers is more opportunity to charge, Tesla's today can charge with an adapter because they support the CCS protocol, I'd want that too if I had an NACS Rivian.

Sponsored

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Why wouldn’t Rivian switch the R1s to NACS as soon as possible? The fact that they have CCS parts in inventory (as noted above) might be one factor but that doesn’t seem like it would ((alone) outweigh the potential boost to sales that would come with native NACS.

Are there other big impediments to the switch?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Why wouldn’t Rivian switch the R1s to NACS as soon as possible? The fact that they have CCS parts in inventory (as noted above) might be one factor but that doesn’t seem like it would ((alone) outweigh the potential boost to sales that would come with native NACS.

Are there other big impediments to the switch?
Maybe they don't want to interrupt the current production to make the switch? Might be still designing the switch. And it doesn't matter all that much. Using an adapter isn't the end of the world.
Sponsored