Sponsored

Any way to auto lock, unlock without the door handles constantly presenting?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Since other cars get it right, I hope that a future software fix can improve the feature on Rivians.
Our Model 3 unlocks when we walk past it, but the handles on the Model 3 don't self-present so you only notice some sounds coming from the car which indicates something is happening.. but no handles popping out.

Overall, I much prefer the i3 scheme where you walk up to the door an touch the capacitance sensors on the inside of the door handle and it unlocks the doors. When exiting the vehicle touch the capacitance ridges on the outside of the door handle and it locks the vehicle. Very simple, straight forward and natural.. it's a no-nonsense approach that just works without complications or frustrations.
Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Our Model 3 unlocks when we walk past it, but the handles on the Model 3 don't self-present so you only notice some sounds coming from the car which indicates something is happening.. but no handles popping out.

Overall, I much prefer the i3 scheme where you walk up to the door an touch the capacitance sensors on the inside of the door handle and it unlocks the doors. When exiting the vehicle touch the capacitance ridges on the outside of the door handle and it locks the vehicle. Very simple, straight forward and natural.. it's a no-nonsense approach that just works without complications or frustrations.

Too bad Rivian didn't also take that approach. It seems like the better way to go. Personally, I think it's kind of silly to have all four door handles present themselves in situations where there aren't any passengers.....it just seems kind of wasteful with the additional wear and tear on the mechanism when it's not necessary.

evcars4all

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model S
what's an example of another car that gets it right? Reason I ask is because it seems that most other cars have touch-sensitive handles that don't unlock the vehicle until you actually touch the door handle
my Tesla Model S has handles that auto extend. The feature can be turned off when at home. The handles are touch sensitive, so opening a door just requires a touch.

OP
OP

Lilthumper

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 S Plaid 23 Y Performance 23 R1T Quad
Another Tesla perk is that it seems Tesla has a bit more of a delay before locking. As if it's saying..."let's make sure before I lock, just to unlock again in 5 seconds". And yes, being able to turn off auto present like the Model S would solve everything.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
How so many smart engineers could have gotten these stupid door handles so wrong... Mind boggling.
🤦
They were busy investing their time in awful cameras and useless wireless charging pad.

DRJ564

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I for one am a fan of how Rivian has approached this. I love the fact I don’t have to get finger prints on the exterior door handles to make them present. I have auto lock turned off at home since I park in my garage.

This statement is from an R1S owner who loves a clean black car.
Sponsored