Sponsored

Any way to auto lock, unlock without the door handles constantly presenting?

Lilthumper

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 S Plaid 23 Y Performance 23 R1T Quad
Is there a way to have my R1T auto lock, unlock without the door handles constantly presenting? If I turn off this feature at home, it leaves handles in the open position. On at home, it constantly locks and unlocks if I walk within 40 ft line of sight. Is there an option for it to not present handles. I hate to have to revert to the app to fix this annoying unlock or lock. I'm wanting it to act like car wash mode. Stay unlocked but not present handles.

Rivian R1T R1S Any way to auto lock, unlock without the door handles constantly presenting? 17109074031765445193758289553270
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Unfortunately no there isn't.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Put it in camp mode and it will not auto lock/unlock. You could also close the app on your phone when walking away from the truck and it will do the same.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Go to Settings, Access and turn off the unlock at home. I have my R1S lock only at home, unlock manually.
This. And you can use Apple Shortcuts (and I assume something similar on Android) to set up unlocking. I tell my Apple Watch to unlock as I’m heading out the door and it’s done when I get to the R1S. I set up similar commands for the frunk and tailgate so when I’ve got groceries etc I can just ask Siri to open/close. Learned how in a thread on this forum.

Reactions: KRG

Sponsored

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

This. And you can use Apple Shortcuts (and I assume something similar on Android) to set up unlocking. I tell my Apple Watch to unlock as I’m heading out the door and it’s done when I get to the R1S. I set up similar commands for the frunk and tailgate so when I’ve got groceries etc I can just ask Siri to open/close. Learned how in a thread on this forum.
Good advice. If you have a 15 Pro you can use the action button to unlock also.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How so many smart engineers could have gotten these stupid door handles so wrong... Mind boggling.
🤦

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Rivian R1S quad motor
Is there a way to have my R1T auto lock, unlock without the door handles constantly presenting? If I turn off this feature at home, it leaves handles in the open position. On at home, it constantly locks and unlocks if I walk within 40 ft line of sight. Is there an option for it to not present handles. I hate to have to revert to the app to fix this annoying unlock or lock. I'm wanting it to act like car wash mode. Stay unlocked but not present handles.

17109074031765445193758289553270.jpg
I 100% agree with the problem. Auto-unlock is great, but it's way too sensitive and unlocks even when you just walk by the car several feet away. I would GREATLY prefer if: a) The Rivian unlocked only when I was very close to the door - like 1-2 feet and b) didn't unlock when I only just quickly walked by the car.

Since other cars get it right, I hope that a future software fix can improve the feature on Rivians.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I 100% agree with the problem. Auto-unlock is great, but it's way too sensitive and unlocks even when you just walk by the car several feet away. I would GREATLY prefer if: a) The Rivian unlocked only when I was very close to the door - like 1-2 feet and b) didn't unlock when I only just quickly walked by the car.

Since other cars get it right, I hope that a future software fix can improve the feature on Rivians.
Must be phone dependent...mine sometimes needs me to remove the phone from my pocket.

Maybe they should allow a use range of 1-10 on sensitivity and we can all just set it how we want it to work?

I'd love it if mine worked like yoy describe yours as working.

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good advice. If you have a 15 Pro you can use the action button to unlock also.
I use the action button on the apple watch ultra.

Reactions: KRG

Sponsored

Gman

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Toyota Landcruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Open Ocean Swimmer
I use the action button on the apple watch ultra.
How do you set up the action button on Apple Ultra to open doors? I would love this, but don’t know how to set up watch feature.

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

How do you set up the action button on Apple Ultra to open doors? I would love this, but don’t know how to set up watch feature.
From what i remember, you set up a shortcut on the iphone to unlock the doors, then you assign that shortcut to the action button on the watch.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Only way for handles to not present is car wash mode. If proximity locking/unlocking is what you don’t want, disable it all together. This means you give up convenience, when you want it and must use one of the registered keys to lock/unlock.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Just curious---what's an example of another car that gets it right? Reason I ask is because it seems that most other cars have touch-sensitive handles that don't unlock the vehicle until you actually touch the door handle. I don't know of many vehicles that unlock as you walk up to them.

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Rivian R1S quad motor
Just curious---what's an example of another car that gets it right? Reason I ask is because it seems that most other cars have touch-sensitive handles that don't unlock the vehicle until you actually touch the door handle. I don't know of many vehicles that unlock as you walk up to them.
Very true, and in fact that's how I like it and what I should have said. On my other car, for example, you can touch a door handle, or touch the trunk open button, or waive a foot under the rear bumper or waive your hand over the frunk and it'll "just open" if you have the key on you, and it won't if you don't. That's the version of 'proximity unlock' that I prefer. As a second best, I'd take the Rivian door handles presenting if I am quite close (and not just brushing by) over what we have now, and I assume that's the best we'll get on the R1 since there is no touch sensor on the door handle, but the classic version you mentioned and I just described above is definitely my favorite.
Sponsored