Sponsored

Are you guys watching this? EV's in decline!

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Recent YouTube videos and general public news, shows that EV sales are on the decline.
Tesla is sitting with a record surplus of cars, and have drastically cut pricing on all their models. I believe that you can now get a new entry level Model 3, for less than $20,000, factoring in the $7,500 government rebate! (If you qualify)
Others are forced to follow suit. Tesla can afford it because they make more profit per car than most other manufacturers.
It seems to me that most EV fans have already bought one or two EV's.
This leaves all the manufacturers, scrambling to get a piece of the few new EV converts.
Chevy has postponed the new Silverado EV now to 2025. Ford has written off all the supposed 200,000 orders they had for the Lightning.
The Chinese manufacturers are all clamoring to get into Europe and the USA markets. Muddying the already strained market.
Many reports of the pathetic charging infrastructure is making potential EV buyers take another look at ICE cars.
Might this force Rivian to consider price cuts as well?
Life is tough out there. Many dealers are sitting with very expensive EV's with very low ranges that they can't sell. Can you say, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Cadillac and others?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Recent YouTube videos and general public news, shows that EV sales are on the decline.
Tesla is sitting with a record surplus of cars, and have drastically cut pricing on all their models. I believe that you can now get a new entry level Model 3, for less than $20,000, factoring in the $7,500 government rebate! (If you qualify)
Others are forced to follow suit. Tesla can afford it because they make more profit per car than most other manufacturers.
This leaves all the manufacturers, scrambling to get a piece of the few new EV converts.
Chevy has postponed the new Silverado EV now to 2025. Ford has written off all the supposed 200,000 orders they had for the Lightning.
The Chinese manufacturers are all clamoring to get into Europe and the USA markets. Muddying the already strained market.
Many reports of the pathetic charging infrastructure is making potential EV buyers take another look at ICE cars.
Life is tough out there. Many dealers are sitting with very expensive EV's with very low ranges that they can't sell. Can you say, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Cadillac and others?
Based on this graph EVs are still climbing, I think it is being misreported as declining. There are more options out there so more competition will impact growth for someone like Tesla who for close to a decade had no competition.

It is just frustrating at the lazy click seeking excuse for reporting we see these days from even what used to be legitimate news sources.

Rivian R1T R1S Are you guys watching this?  EV's in decline! IMG_3436

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

Don't have data in front of me, but having joined a ton of auto-buying Fb groups during the pandemic, even the tough-to-come-by Ford Broncos or Toyota Siennas are all selling at MSRP or under these days. If EV sales are down, it's because the overall market is down w/ interest rates being where they are.

And it's great seeing the traditional manufacturers all jump into the EV game. At least in SoCal, EVs are a dime a dozen. I'm seeing a ton of the Mercedes ones rolling around these days. But totally get it if its still a coastal or urban thing. I was out in Lenexa, KS last week for work, and think I only saw one or two Teslas during the entire time I was there.

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Higher price points, high interest rates, some concerns about the "unknown" (read, more education needed), and charging infrastructure.

EVs will be just fine once we get out of this rut. Any company that backs off of their plans because of short-term dips is going to seriously regret it in 2-3 years.

Rivian needs to get the standard pack out, offer possibly even less expensive trims/options and then make sure R2 hits the mark.

I've very confident in exponential EV growth. Some of the legacy companies are just having to deal with issues that Tesla and Rivian don't.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
GM did not postpone the Silverado or Sierra, they are simply only building them at Factory Zero and delaying expansion to Orion. Battery supplies are a big constraint, they sill only have one battery plant running and raw materials are also going to get squeezed for everyone.

The reality is that the transition to EVs from ICE is goings to happen way slower than many people think it will. The charging infrastructure is still a disaster. The most often question I am asked by people about my EVs is "how do you charge it on trips?" Also many young people, including a couple of my kids, cannot get into a starter home right now. Renting does not allow them to install a charger.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Lazy AF reporting👎🏼

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Only bought one EV in the last year but the previous two from today, I bought four. Sorry.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

CNBC had a video on this recently. Seemed like the biggest interview was a dealer, with a service department. For the most part, EVs are more expensive, and higher interest rates aren’t helping. Neither did redoing the tax breaks (agree with them or not). Some people were buying a new EV a year due to the incentives. Also, I think people are watching to see how low Tesla will go. At the same time, some Tesla owners who might buy new, are now underwater on their loans because of the price cuts. Also, not just Tesla, but Ford has moved the Lightning price up and down also, as have dealers, so people may have looked and been interested but got turned off by price shenanigans. And some potential buyers are waiting the the Tesla charging cable to be more standard.

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
There aren't a lot of lower priced models on lots. Even for affordable models, it is difficult to find a lower-priced trim. I've been shopping for a second EV. Next year should be better for consumers like myself who are looking at the lower end of the scale for their first or second EV. If dealers keep trying to gouge people while EVs sit on lots people might buy those Teslas. Elon has encouraged many of us to look anywhere else.

GANTZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla, Lexus
Occupation
Yes
Glad i bought stock in the flat earth self driving oil tankers.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
GM did not postpone the Silverado or Sierra, they are simply only building them at Factory Zero and delaying expansion to Orion. Battery supplies are a big constraint, they sill only have one battery plant running and raw materials are also going to get squeezed for everyone.

The reality is that the transition to EVs from ICE is goings to happen way slower than many people think it will. The charging infrastructure is still a disaster. The most often question I am asked by people about my EVs is "how do you charge it on trips?" Also many young people, including a couple of my kids, cannot get into a starter home right now. Renting does not allow them to install a charger.
I agree, apartments and condos are an issue for people. I do see here in CA there are many apartments that are starting to add EV chargers in their garages, especially the gated garage facilities in LA.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It's irreversible at this point. All negatives feedbacks are tied to:

a. lack of charging station
b. high cost of EVs (average)

Of these, "a" will only get better over time, and NACS will certainly help out. "b" is also just a matter of time. Tesla is already leading this, and as the price of batteries go down over time, so is the average cost of the EVs..

I hope there is an easier transition, but sadly, the disruption such as EVs in the established eco system such as ICE, there is no such thing as smooth transition..
Sponsored