First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe it's just my system but I feel like this EQ curve would make your ears bleed. But I also feel like my system (new Rivian) is weirdly hollow in the mids almost out-of-phase sounding, but also shrill and brittle on the high end. I've do a bit of EQ'ing to try and sort that out but I've never been entirely pleased with it.

Going by ear (I did sound engineering for many years), my EQ curve is fairly similar to the post from @SeaRivianR1s above but without such a strong cut at 125, a small cut at 250&500 (there was a boxiness I wanted to get rid off) and slightly deeper cuts at 4&8k, and no boost at 10k, and 3D off entirely

I'm still not entirely pleased with it, but honestly making more aggressive EQ moves wasn't making things better and seemed to behave weirdly... again making me feel like phase issues are a part of the problem somewhere but with 20-odd speakers interacting in such a confined space it's not going to be easy to track that down. Overall, not really impressed with the audio. On any given track it can sound decent, but I find it's not as consistently pleasing as previous vehicles I've driven, it's just not... consistent? Hard to explain. Also it just doesn't seem very loud given the amount of power that's supposed to be involved (again compared to similar values in previous vehicles) and the sub seems passable, but flubby/anemic. It does indeed get "loud enough" though, just feels like it takes a while to get there with less headroom leftover than I would expect given the numbers.

For all the hype it seems to be a "bit better than ok" at times and infuriatingly hollow or shrill in many others. And no amount of EQ tuning seems to significantly alter that. I'd love to see some kind of full aftermarket replacement option appear. It wouldn't be high on my list of changes to make, but it would definitely be ON the list.
So... we have both and R1T and an R1S, both Meridian. The R1T sounds significantly better, and what you're describing is similar to how I feel about the sound in our R1S most of the time. I was recently contemplating submitting a support ticket and driving down to the SC to try and listen to another R1S to see if it's normal.
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

So... we have both and R1T and an R1S, both Meridian. The R1T sounds significantly better, and what you're describing is similar to how I feel about the sound in our R1S most of the time. I was recently contemplating submitting a support ticket and driving down to the SC to try and listen to another R1S to see if it's normal.
Assuming they have some form of DSP in place to deal with audio processing it's weird that there wouldn't be a far better "standard" or "compensation" curve dialed in, along with delay/phase compensation on the speakers - that's pretty standard these days with any reasonably upper-midrange or beyond auto sound system, hell, most home systems are "self-tuning" now as well and that's generally a far more forgiving environment. Maybe, like with ride control they did a copy/paste between T and S and expected it to "just work" - but it doesn't.

It's certainly not the worst thing I've ever had, but the issues with it feel more... uncorrectable, I guess, than other systems. Even with a reasonably decent graphic EQ, there's just holes in the sound - it's almost like there's "clarity" but no depth, no fullness to the tone. And trying to add some back in via EQ makes it muddy and mushy, so you end up pulling out, but then it's just empty again.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Linus Tech Tips reviewed the truck and adjusted the settings to hit a preset curve they had. I've been using it and it sounds pretty good to me as a general tune. You can see them talk about it and the settings here....

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Well, you're lucky enough to have the meridian system :). I still don't know why they canned it.
Just because it has Meridian branding doesn't mean it's superior. Case in point, the Meridian system in Jaguar's F-Type is almost universally hated by owners. The branding is mostly a marketing tool, to lend perception of superiority, not much more.

The T is a smaller space, with less to interfere and rattle. That's why.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sgtpeper

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, '15 650s Spider, '97 355 GTS
Occupation
Real Estate
I don't disagree but the meridian system in the R1 has different settings I believe. In my IPace the Meridian system sounded really good.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Linus Tech Tips reviewed the truck and adjusted the settings to hit a preset curve they had. I've been using it and it sounds pretty good to me as a general tune. You can see them talk about it and the settings here....

For those who couldn’t quite see the settings in the video:

Rivian R1T R1S Best stereo sound settings -- post yours! IMG_0027

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

A little punchy on the bass, but I enjoy it. Mostly follows a classical music stock preset from other software

Rivian R1T R1S Best stereo sound settings -- post yours! 20230919_064532

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

A little punchy on the bass, but I enjoy it. Mostly follows a classical music stock preset from other software

20230919_064532.jpg
There must really be a substantial difference between Meridian and Rivian systems because this curve with enhancement on would be legit painful in the high-end and absolute sludge/slop on the bottom end.

Also - this is effectively just a "volume boost" with a slight "v" taper - meaning when you boost "everything" you kinda boost "nothing". You could "normalize this curve to your lowest value (4k) and move everything else down by the same number of steps to get 4k to zero and it would/should sound exactly the same - just a little quieter. Though who knows, fletcher munson curve kicking in a bit might be making it sound the way you want... I dunno. But I can say I would NEVER boost the high-end on the Rivian in-house system like that without expecting blood from ear canals. And the low-end would just be mush. So it seems like there should definitely be some clarification on T vs S and Meridian vs Rivian systems included with these suggestions

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Also their testing confirms my previous statement about lack of headroom - the amount of compression happening as volume increases might explain some of the non-linearity I was pretty sure I was hearing and causing EQ changes to not feel consistent - compression is a form of EQ. And the order of EQ vs Compression matters - I suspect in this case they either have a limiter at the end of the chain, or it's purely amp/speaker compression or sag - which still puts the compression after the EQ - which means it alters how the EQ works as volume changes. Typically you'd apply compression (intentional signal compression) first, THEN EQ - Since this is just lack of amp headroom/limiting/physical speaker limitation "compression" it's ALWAYS happening post EQ.

Happy to explain in more depth why this would generally be considered "bad" in this case (in studio /live mixing this can be used for specific reasons/effects) but for pure playback systems it's not generally a good thing.

Never thought vehicle audio would be such a deep rabbit hole. I honestly think I'll be looking for some kind of aftermarket shop to replace this system down the line. I find the inconsistent performance to be a bigger issue than it would be if it were just plain bad, always. The fact that one song is ripping your ears off with hi-hats and cymbals and what seems like completely hollowed out mids ruining the vocals, and the next song actually not too terrible is far more frustrating and confusing. Predictably "bad" is better than unpredictably "ok" in this case in the way that consistently slow WiFi can be quickly adapted to, but inconsistently fast WiFi makes the slow bits absolutely unbearable.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
This was a picture posted on that website link posted above.

IMG_8066.jpeg
When I’m put in the doghouse for very good reason(s), this is what it sounds like In my house.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus

Tried his settings (with minor tweaks) on my commute home and can confirm it works well in my non-Meridian T. I tried Portishead, Led Zepplin, Sade, West Mongotmery, Albert King and Stick Figure. Much more balanced than the settings I was using.

Can't really decide between Surround On and Enhanced. On yields tighter and better defined bass, which gets slightly muddy in Enhanced but has greater overall headroom. Cannot hear the difference between Dynamic High and Low.

ILLCOMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We’re about a week in and for an amazing SUV I am profoundly disappointed by the sound system. It is borderline garbage at defaults - shrill, hollow, but offensively punchy. Yuck!

I EQ’d it as best I could but there’s some resonance around 700Hz that you cannot dial out.

I need to get in someone else’s to see what’s up because I have a hard time believing this was the intended product.

Rivian R1T R1S Best stereo sound settings -- post yours! 1696384706777

Rivian R1T R1S Best stereo sound settings -- post yours! 1696384742729

Rivian R1T R1S Best stereo sound settings -- post yours! 1696384789670

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Latest version of what I’ve got it set to. Still not perfect.

Rivian R1T R1S Best stereo sound settings -- post yours! IMG_8143
Sponsored