Sponsored

Better than expected Q1 deliveries?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
What most people seem to be missing is that Rivian produces > 1000 vehicles per week now. This means there pretty much HAS to be >1000 vehicles on the "lot" in Normal on any given day, even in a best-case scenario. A conventional manufacturer will just immediately ship these to dealers, where they will be "invisible" because each of the thousands of dealers will only have a few cars on the lot. But with a direct-to-consumer model, where it takes ~1 month from VIN assignment until delivery, you are ALWAYS going to have a few weeks of production output sitting at the factory. That's not something to be worried about - that's just math (well, unless you are worried about math, which is an entirely separate topic ...).

Regardless, Rivian will be shutting down the factory for 4 weeks, starting a week from tomorrow. That means they will need about 4k-5k vehicles on the lot to tide them over for the month.

So this shutdown is accomplishing AT LEAST five major things that all BENEFIT Rivian:
  1. Overhaul of lines to implement a 30% cost reduction. Huge win!
  2. Clearing out of all pre-price-hike orders, which are currently sold at a loss. Vehicles produced after the reconfiguration will all be sold at a gross profit. Huge win!
  3. Reduce/eliminate stock of undelivered vehicles, which Wall Street has always complained about. Huge win!
  4. Implement steps towards R2 production. While I don't know exactly what this involves, there will certainly be some amount of new parts that will be re-used in the R2, and there will certainly be some amount of assembly line re-configuration to accommodate R2 assembly. R2 is going to be a bootstrap operation, so Rivian will be gradually making changes to the factory and R1 in preparation for full-scale R2 production ~2 years from now. Win!
  5. We know there are some vehicles that are mostly finished and waiting for a few missing parts from the supplier switch-over (predicated on cost savings and securing R2 supply chains). This gives Rivian time to finish those off and sell them. Win!
The sum total of this is that when Rivian emerges from the shutdown it should be producing vehicles at a gross profit, it should be positioned for higher profit margins in the future, it should be in a better position to produce the R2, and it should have shed some of its legacy contracts that were dragging it down in terms of price, delivery schedule, and quality. And perhaps it will even have helped to catch up on some of the serivce center backlog and allow some of the existing service center employees to train the new service center workers.

The only downside I see is that it will delay the fulfillment of some orders where the customer is not flexible on configuration. I can live with that, because it will demonstrate there still is hard demand for the product if people will queue up for it.

I'm still very bullish on Rivian. If you want to see headed for failure look at Fisker. Rivian is NOTHING like Fisker. Rivian has produced almost 100k vehicles in the past few years. Other car makers who went bankrupt haven't even approached this number.
Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I suspect they will have good Q1 delivery numbers. But I donā€™t even know what to expect as they only gave annual guidance and they have a shutdown.

Itā€™s good for cash flow to clear out the inventory as well. Inventory had really stacked up at the end of Q4, but we know that was partly Amazon.

A lot of the quarter-end push was likely less about deliveries, and more about being able to expense the pre-shutdown inventory before the line started again. There are some quirks of cost accounting that give them a good incentive to get the older inventory off the books before the line restarts.

Thereā€™s also physical logistical reasons to clear inventory. Retooling an assembly plant probably requires moving lots of machinery to different physical locations and accessing things from not-normal places. Theyā€™re probably also moving some things around to make room for the R2 line. Any inventory inside the plant would be in the way. The exterior vehicle storage may be a staging area for machinery as well.

So thereā€™s lots of good reasons to clear inventory beyond just managing delivery numbers.

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I wish they could get the R2's built faster than two years away. One year would be nice. There is a lot of buzz right now almost everywhere and it would be nice to be able to capitalize on it. Wishing is what you do when there is no chance of it happening. I'm very curious to see if reality matches all the hype. I don't want an R2 or R3 myself. I'm happy with my R1T.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I wish they could get the R2's built faster than two years away. One year would be nice. There is a lot of buzz right now almost everywhere and it would be nice to be able to capitalize on it. Wishing is what you do when there is no chance of it happening. I'm very curious to see if reality matches all the hype. I don't want an R2 or R3 myself. I'm happy with my R1T.
I have no insider info, but if thereā€™s a company that tends to over deliver, itā€™s Rivian

Sponsored

ScottsdaleR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
TipRanks says 13.5k is the expectation for Q1
13.5k would be 68% growth over 8k in Q1 last year.

Knowing the way RJ and Claire operate when they predicted down 10-15% sequentially from 14k Q4 on Feb-21 they were likely tracking better than -10%.

Anything above 12.5k is good and anything above 13k is excellent.

ScottsdaleR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Which means the analysts have set them up to fail, again, as the company guided to 10-15% LESS deliveries than Q4 which was 13,972.

So it should be more like 12,300 for Q1.

The analysts did the same in Q4 when they set delivery expectations way higher than the company guidance, causing them to "miss" expectations.
Even 12.3k is +50% YoY from 8k Q1-23. Hoping for >12.5k.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Q1 : 16.6k unit sold!
source : coxautoinc.com
Ok so the source quoted deliveries before the quarter was over...lol

Time for a Turing test..

Yellow5

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4
Occupation
Actuary
16.6k units would be amazing, I'm not that optimistic but would welcome a surprise like that. If I had to make a wag, it would be 14.2k. Do we get the count today after business hours?

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I'm in for 11,500. No doubt they have to clear current inventory, and have been doing so, and likely depleting the finished goods inventory that was on the way to service/delivery centers.

Q2? I'm thinking the 52k/yr and lost 2-3 weeks of production even with some factory held inventory is going to put Q2 around 9-10K units before momentum picks up in Q3.

Q4 2024 is the wildcard for me. If I'm ordering at that point I'd just wait until the 2025's become available and get the built-in NACS port.

Sponsored

Guuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID4, Lynksys Gravel Bike
Whatā€™s going to happen is: Tesla is going to deliver poorly, and as a result, $rivn falls. Wonā€™t matter what Rivianā€™s numbers are.
Gives you some more opportunity to buy at another dip - dollar costing!

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
RIVN Deliveries:
The company reported first-quarter deliveries of 13,588, a sequential decline of around 3%, which is smaller than the 10% to 15% decline it forecast in February.
(From the above Yahoo Finance post)

Also: "The company said that they have produced a few thousand additional vehicles which have not been included in this quarter's figures as they await a part which they expect to receive in April."

Big swing and a miss for TSLA
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/02/tesla-tsla-q1-2024-vehicle-delivery-and-production-numbers.html
Sponsored