Sponsored

Bravo Rivian but now R1 is OLD.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Bravo on the vision Rivian! I hope you can pull it off.
Very impressive SPECs on R2, and R3s), but they essentially kill the R1 vehicles.
Lol. No they don’t.
Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Do you folks read between the lines much? Obviously the R1’s aren’t killed. The OP is saying that they look dated compared to vehicles coming out in 3 years. Thus, there is a need for an R1 refresh or else they feel stale.

That said, I fully expect this summer’s retooling will add most of the design elements to R1. RJ mentioned that Illinois will be a launch pad for R2. That essentially seals the deal that the R2 parts will already be in the factory.

Surely not every element will get bumped this summer, but then again, with the Georgia delay I imagine much of the prep to mass manufacture these new parts has already been done.

So it’s conceivable that steering wheels, charge pads, floor mats and maybe the upgraded front light bar (it’s 3D and not flat) could be bumped this summer. Also, I noticed that there was no RIVIAN on the door by the front wheel but rather a tag. Possibly new colors and new wheels.

What I haven’t read yet is the dawning of the R1Tx and R2Tx. It’s a foregone conclusion that both vehicles will get the X treatment, possibly with 4 homegrown Ascend motors that take those vehicles into the realm of absurdity.

I do expect the R1Xs to come this summer as those platforms need a sales boost.

For whomever said they should have bumped the R1 today, that’s freeze-sales territory which is a newbie error of epic proportions. These improvements will. It be announced u til the changeover begins at earliest, and possibly as it ends. Worst case the bump doesn’t happen until fall as all the parts are prepared to be swapped in for existing parts.

So yeah no one thinks R1 is literally dead. It’s just begging for the upgrades that are right in front of our faces. Even without announcing them for R1 there is an implicit freezing of the sales that will happen until the nicer stuff is available on the existing trucks.

Personally I wouldn’t buy an R1 now if I could wait 4 months.

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
It’s hilarious how some Rivian owners here think they know so much about the industry 😂 so many uneducated automotive folks here with too much money.

I personally am so stoked that they announced the R2 R3 and the R3X. This is amazing news for the company and future success 🤞

R1 platform won’t go anywhere and will only get stronger in the future.

Sponsored

olsonnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
R1 isn't old.

But if they bring many of these new features to the R1 later this year, current R1 owners are going to feel like they have the "old" model. Kinda like pre-refresh Model S/X.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I think the frunk space makes it easier for the R2 to compete with larger SUVs including the R1S. But that's only good for Rivian overall. Meanwhile the storage space of the R1S and air suspension ability is unmatched (among other capabilities).

Sponsored

fdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid S, Model X, R1S PDMM
Occupation
SE
Clubs

Nothing about a new model kills the flagship. I can assure you the r1 line will only get better in the years to come

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Rivian has built a powerful brand that stands for something and the R1 Tier is their flagship.

R1S has a natural reason for being as families with kids generate demand for 3 rows and they must stay close to the X's price to protect their equity (and once they get the factory and sourcing optimized -margins!) right.

I've seen a lot of folks post here that they should lower price further but I think it's more of a question of mix. They are suffering now because a lot of people booked quad or max configs with price > $95k and aren't taking possession at current elevated interest rates. Those are clogging the pipeline...

Yet they seem to have no issue quickly clearing large pack and dual motor configs at $85-90k. They rarely appear in the shop and go fast when they do. My guess is that the Standard battery ranges will have similar impact. This allows them to make the R1 Tier More accesible without deteriorating their equity.

RJ took his shot today after a couple of really rough weeks and he did move by move pretty much what these forums have been shouting for. It was impressive and the two things that really impressed me were:

1) Decision to take the L and pivot from GA and give themselves a better shot at controlling their destiny

2) How truly adventure inspired and interesting the R2 and R3s really are - truly riffing off the flag ship R1s while introducing new ideas. The front seats even going flat so two adults can camp under the stars in the R2? The rear window coming down to enable surf boards or bikes or just fresh air? Its beautiful stuff and it's why people love this brand.

Last edited:

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
R1S isn't going anywhere. Three rows are table stakes for many families...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Do you folks read between the lines much? Obviously the R1’s aren’t killed. The OP is saying that they look dated compared to vehicles coming out in 3 years. Thus, there is a need for an R1 refresh or else they feel stale.
Riigggght….. the R2 coming out in 2 years is a mini me of the R1 and it’s fresh in 2 years but the R1 is stale? 🤣

Fear not, there will be an R1 refresh soon, and the R1 will be a maxi me of the R2. Then the R2 will be stale before it is even released. 😜

if you want to talk stale, let’s talk about the Model S before beating up on Rivian.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Bravo on the vision Rivian! I hope you can pull it off.
Very impressive SPECs on R2, and R3s), but they essentially kill the R1 vehicles.
You mean you didn’t see this coming and thought the current version of R1 would never be surpassed? Have you been blissful at least?
Sponsored