Broken Charger Retaining Clip

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Was in a hurry this AM and dropped the charge head from my home Rivian charger on the garage floor and the retaining clip broke in half. It will still charge when I plug it in, but don't really know if this will be a big issue or not. I just had my previous charger replaced under warranty due to some faulty pins, so I'm not really in a hurry to replace again unless the hive feels this would be a potential hazard. I could probably glue the piece back on, but I'm sure it would eventually just break off in the charge port. It seems pretty ridiculous that I would need to replace the entire charger due to a small plastic clip, but from what I have found on the internet, it does not sound like Rivian is willing to replace specific parts on the chargers - I guess due to liability. Anyhow, I appreciate any input from you guys.
Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Use some good epoxy and you should be good 👍
Thanks, but I'm not sure how feasible that is. Just more wondering if its safe to use or not.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I think the concern is that there could be arcing of you inadvertently pull the plug while it's charging. The other worry is that pulling out the plug during charge can damage the car, but I'm not sure how much I believe that; smarter people can correct me. Personally, I'd be more comfortable with a DIY fix than without a latch. If epoxy is not feasible, I'd look into plastic welding. Either should be super good enough.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

The locking clip does more than hold the charger in place. The vehicle should not charge if that is missing. Releasing the clip stops the vehicle from charging if it's charging.

I wouldn't feel safe using a broken charge head. I agree that it should be replaceable though. If Rivian does what the others do they will repair it and it will go back out as a refurb.

Sponsored

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

If Rivian does what the others do they will repair it and it will go back out as a refurb.
Just so I understand:

1) Are you saying Rivian should give the OP a new EVSE even though he dropped and broke it?
2) Which other sellers repair their EVSEs and then send them back out?

I ask, in part, based on my experience looking for parts for a Chargepoint Home Flex.

Thanks for any clarification.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Just so I understand:

1) Are you saying Rivian should give the OP a new EVSE even though he dropped and broke it?
2) Which other sellers repair their EVSEs and then send them back out?

I ask, in part, based on my experience looking for parts for a Chargepoint Home Flex.

Thanks for any clarification.
That's up to Rivian but I'm just saying that what EVSE makers usually do is swap out the entire unit, they repair the broken one, and then it becomes a refurb unit.

This probably happens quite a bit where the charge head is broken/damaged. If they don't want to replace the OP unit they should offer a refurb at a reduced price.

In a perfect world Rivian would sell a replacement cord and allow the customer to repair.

supernu8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think the concern is that there could be arcing of you inadvertently pull the plug while it's charging. The other worry is that pulling out the plug during charge can damage the car, but I'm not sure how much I believe that;
One of the small pins in the j1772 connector is called the proximity pin and is in series with the handle switch. This pin is shorter than the AC connectors so it will disengage before the AC pins as the plug is pulled from the car. It's supposed to tell the car and EVSE to stop charging before the AC connection separates.
That is technically how it works, but in real life I've seen arc damage on pins so its not fool proof.

If Rivian wont supply you a replacement handle&cord assembly you can purchase one elsewhere, its not proprietary.

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

If Rivian wont supply you a replacement handle&cord assembly you can purchase one elsewhere, its not proprietary.
ChargePoint sells a replacement cable/handle (as well as a NACS conversion cable/handle). Are the telecomm connectors (probably not the right term) on these things generic enough that one maker's should work with another's unit?

Rivian R1T R1S Broken Charger Retaining Clip Picture1

supernu8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So long as its a J1772 cable that is rated for a 48amp EVSE you should be able to use it.
Rivian EVSE uses a single orange control signal wire. I don't have a Rivian EVSE to take apart and verify so if there is a special connector on the end you may have to splice it in to the old one.
I recommend you have an electrician do all work, overall you might not save much money over a rivian refurb.

Rivian R1T R1S Broken Charger Retaining Clip 1709308059449

pic from another thread.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-evse-and-4-awg.7536/

Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The locking clip does more than hold the charger in place. The vehicle should not charge if that is missing. Releasing the clip stops the vehicle from charging if it's charging.

I wouldn't feel safe using a broken charge head. I agree that it should be replaceable though. If Rivian does what the others do they will repair it and it will go back out as a refurb.
It will definitely charge without that clip engaged or even on the charger head. Don't know if that is how it is supposed to work, however. I ended up just swatching the charger out - I actually had a spare one in storage. Will try to epoxy the broken one like others mentioned for the next time I do something as equally boneheaded.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

It will definitely charge without that clip engaged or even on the charger head. Don't know if that is how it is supposed to work, however. I ended up just swatching the charger out - I actually had a spare one in storage. Will try to epoxy the broken one like others mentioned for the next time I do something as equally boneheaded.
Don't best yourself up. I have done my share of "boneheaded things" in the past and I am sure I have a few in my future as well.

This is another reason why NACS is superior. The locking mechanism is not on the handle with that system. Really looking forward to J3400 transition both for level 2 and public DC fast charging
Sponsored