Sponsored

Can you register in Montana if not taking delivery there?

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Regardless, I think that most Rivian owners qualify as "rich" by any objective measure. Very few would qualify as "average folk".
There is California rich and not California rich. I live and work in California and own a R1T.....we are not rich......comfortable yes.....Rich?....No.

My Salary in any other state would be $30,000 to $40,000 less......in fact, work outside of the bay area and your wage goes down. I took a job for 4 months in the Sacramento area and in doing so, I took a $10/hr pay cut for doing the same job.

My wife and I can't wait to move out of here when I retire in a few years.
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We took delivery of Opal (our R1T) at the Factory in Illinois, put a Florida tag on her and drove her home. We paid Florida sales tax on the truck.

Brian

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
When Bolts were scarce, I got bids from at least three California dealers who had them in stock. None of them said anything about requiring California taxes or registration for a Washington resident.

Ultimately, we bought in Spokane WA -- but only because they honored the best deal, not because it was in our home state.

My experience would support @Multimodal's statement about "process immaturity." Because Rivian isn't registering as a "dealer" in most states, though, Rivian might sometimes be required to use different processes than conventional dealers.

Best wishes!

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
It all boils down to how much fraud you can live with, for a few thousand dollars.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
Some people hate paying California taxes, donā€™t see the value in living here, and move away. Other people donā€™t like paying taxes in general, DO see the value in living here and donā€™t want to pay for the life they enjoy. Finally, there are people who donā€™t like paying taxes in general, DO see the value in living here and pay their fair share. (Raising my hand.) I personally donā€™t know of anyone who enjoys paying taxes so Iā€™m leaving that fictional category out of the list of possibilities.

I wouldnā€™t feel right buying an expensive vehicle and then dodging the taxes to pay the state I like living in. This is the same state which has an economy which allows me to make the money to buy the expensive vehicle in the first place.
šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ˜Ž

mfenske

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Kia Stinger GT1
I'm pretty curious about this one because I'd like to buy a demo model but you can't (currently) register a Demo in Oregon. I'd love to be able to buy/register the Rivian in MT and then move that to OR where I reside. Think that's possible?
Sponsored