Sponsored

Car died after 6 days of delivery

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just took delivery of 2024 R1S and was driving today when some error message popped up. It indicated somehting about thermal warning and started blasting the AC. I pulled over. Cannot adjust the air. Then battery issue popped up and said to drive to nearest service center. “Electrical hazard possible” warning sign. Rivian is going to tow it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
3 hours later still waiting for tow company. I opened my Rivian app and it says replace 12v battery. That’s the regular car battery that powers the electronics. A new car needing a new 12v battery? This causes the vehicle to just shut down? That should not cause the vehicle to be unable to go into drive or reverse?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

3 hours later still waiting for tow company. I opened my Rivian app and it says replace 12v battery. That’s the regular car battery that powers the electronics. A new car needing a new 12v battery? This causes the vehicle to just shut down? That should not cause the vehicle to be unable to put into drive or reverse?
EVs charge the 12V battery off the HV battery. If there's an issue preventing use of the HV battery then the 12V battery will die pretty soon after that in a Rivian, especially if it's still on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So a brand new vehicle and high voltage battery needs to be replaced? Wonder if any other owners had their high voltage battery malfunction causing vehicle to be inoperable?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Dark FX is correct. It could be a couple different things. I have seen defective 12 volt batteries cause all kind of crazy issues with an EV. Getting a new vehicle with a dead 12 volt battery is not surprising because oftentimes the vehicles will sit while they're awaiting transportation. This should not be an issue and it usually isn't but it does happen with other EV brands as well.

And it's extremely frustrating when it does because you have that huge high voltage battery and the little 12 volt battery failure causes you to not even be able to use all the power stored in the high voltage battery.

I'm hoping it's your 12 volt battery. Either way, rivian has an excellent warranty and they will make this right for you.

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It’s my first EV experience. Didn’t know a fault 12v would cause the vehcile to lock up. Literally cannot drive. Caused the thermal warning with fan blowing then battery warning. Let’s hope they can solve it. Makes me worry next time the 12v needs replacing. Hopefully it’s not an issue with the high voltage battery.

We spoke to service and they said they have seen the AC condensation have a leak. The water hits a module that is located right below the cup holders and it freaks out the vehicle causing it to shut down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Update. I called Rivian service and it took 7 hours to get towing company out. It should NEVER take 7 hours.
When my R1S was bricked by its 12V failure as I was walking out of work on a Friday @5pm the tow truck company texted me that if it would be ok for them to come Sat 8-9am since their current operators on duty did NOT have the special tool needed to unlock the rear brakes. Thankfully, I was planning to work Sat am anyway, so I agreed since the SC was 75 mins south-west of work and my home is 60+ mins north-west of work and either way my daughter was going to have to pick me up.

Saturday the tow truck operator came with the tool but he had never used it before and it requires you to get underneath the rear to plug it in and release the brakes but he ultimately said he wasn't comfortable doing it since he hadn't done it before but another operator who was on another call told him how to do it and had done it before, so he asked if it was ok if I waited for the other operator which wasn't a problem since I was going to be working all day anyway. When the other operator got there he didn't even use the special tool since my R1S was on an incline and it would have rolled into his flatbed if he released the brakes.

To make a long story short, the 12V failed on Friday @5pm and it was Tuesday COB before it was replaced at the SC which is a 4 hr r/t from home.

Rivian outsources the roadside service to another company who then finds a towing company near you which is supposed to be able to handle Rivian tows which basically means they have at least one operator that knows what they are doing.

Far from ideal but it is what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
All the towing company needs are skates. They kept asking me for the key fob and I was already offsite. I had to explain to them that even with the key fob, the vehicle doesn’t go into neutral. It’s stuck in park. I hope the towing company kept it in immaculate exterior condition. I hope Rivian figures it out soon. A bit worried that this happens on a brand new 2024 vehicle.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I realize you are frustrated and this is not a helpful comment at this time, but for future owners it might help if you can get a photo of exactly what the error said? I've been in the forums a bit and don't recall ever seeing this one.

Thank you and good luck, let us know what resolution Rivian comes up with.

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
There first warning said somehting about Thermal failure. That is what caused the AC fans to blow hard. Then Rivian service had me do a hard reset and the other warning signs came up.

Rivian R1T R1S Car died after 6 days of delivery IMG_0583

Rivian R1T R1S Car died after 6 days of delivery IMG_0587

OP
OP

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Dropped by Rivian. They are still running diagnostics. Service doesn’t think it’s the 12v. They did mention 2024 changed the 12v. It’s one larger vs two smaller ones in the 2023. Anyone know what size they are?
Sponsored

Last edited: