First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I gave this a good try over a few hundred miles last weekend. It was nice to have a separate media/nav display when I was towing so I could leave the tow mode/dashboard view up, but ultimately it was just too much going on and I decided it's not for me. I was also finding that more often than not the display was on randomly any time the truck woke up, which includes anytime I'm nearby - for example, I'd be sitting in my house and my phone would suddenly quit wifi and join CarPlay.

I've removed it from my car - if anyone wants a used unit and is in the Bend, OR area, let me know - happy to hand it off to someone else to try at a discount :)

[Edit: Taken!]
Sponsored

Last edited:

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

the display was on randomly any time the truck woke up, which includes anytime I'm nearby - for example, I'd be sitting in my house and my phone would suddenly quit wifi and join CarPlay.
I understand your concerns. I’m willing to live with the clunky screen-on issues and wifi proximity issues. The good far outweighs the bad.

I see it more as a Rivian sleep issue. I don’t need the vehicle to wake up and turn everything on when I randomly walk by it or open a door to retrieve something.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

The phone connects to both the Rivian and CarPlay. In your Rivian UI, select your phone as the media source. CarPlay controls the phone and link to Rivian UI. Done.
Correct....

phone to our smart screen = wifi
phone to Rivian for audio = Bluetooth

Yes, the phone connects to BOTH at the same time and CarPlay is built to manage this properly.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Correct....

phone to our smart screen = wifi
phone to Rivian for audio = Bluetooth

Yes, the phone connects to BOTH at the same time and CarPlay is built to manage this properly.
So the Smart Screen doesn't need to be paired to the Rivian over Bluetooth at all, right?

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Sponsored

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I gave this a good try over a few hundred miles last weekend. It was nice to have a separate media/nav display when I was towing so I could leave the tow mode/dashboard view up, but ultimately it was just too much going on and I decided it's not for me. I was also finding that more often than not the display was on randomly any time the truck woke up, which includes anytime I'm nearby - for example, I'd be sitting in my house and my phone would suddenly quit wifi and join CarPlay.

I've removed it from my car - if anyone wants a used unit and is in the Bend, OR area, let me know - happy to hand it off to someone else to try at a discount :)
I've also been a bit on the fence about the screen since installing, but I'm going to really try to give it a fair shake before I make up my mind. No doubt it's a quality product and the mounting solution is great, but....

I think I underestimated how "busy" 3 screens could actually be, especially when you've already built in habits of checking the main screen or the driver screen for directions and info. While this is probably a growing pain, right now it feels very cluttered with the extra screen.

I will say that the screen consistently waking with the truck is driving me NUTS. We use Pet Mode very frequently, and the screen will toggle on and off on it's own while it's enabled. I've just been unplugging it for now whenever I am at home or out and about. While this is minor overall, it just doesn't feel great to have a loose USB cable you have to yank out and drape across the steering wheel whenever you stop. Just feeds into my previous "cluttered" comment.

I ended up buying an inline mechanical switch for the USB cable that goes to my under dash 12v that I'll try installing tomorrow. I'm hoping to be able to hide the cables and deal with the on/off issues using this for now.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Received shipment notification.

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
I've also been a bit on the fence about the screen since installing
I will say that the screen consistently waking with the truck is driving me NUTS. We use Pet Mode very frequently, and the screen will toggle on and off on it's own while it's enabled. I've just been unplugging it for now whenever I am at home or out and about. While this is minor overall, it just doesn't feel great to have a loose USB cable you have to yank out and drape across the steering wheel whenever you stop. Just feeds into my previous "cluttered" comment.
This device works like any other car that would have wireless CarPlay. The issue is how Rivian implemented the “no start/stop button” where it’s triggered by the phone proximity. It’s really not the fault of the device itself.

It’s a tradeoff I’m willing to make with the convenience it provides everyday. For me the benefits outweigh the minor annoyance of turning on and off frequently. But that goes with the car locking and unlocking as well when I get close to it, but I just deal with it given it’s pretty convenient sometimes for the car to be just ready to go.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I gave this a good try over a few hundred miles last weekend. It was nice to have a separate media/nav display when I was towing so I could leave the tow mode/dashboard view up, but ultimately it was just too much going on and I decided it's not for me…
Sorry it didn’t work out for you. I have not yet installed mine, but am concerned I may too find it “too much going on”, especially since I am new to EVs and huge dash screens. And with less than 300 miles on my R1T so far it seems like a whole new world of screen time attention while I am still trying to adjust to driving with regenerative braking! How much of the issue for you was the screen background and brightness? Are there settings/adjustments that the unit supports to tone all that down? I will definitely need it WAY darker at night, at least than the install pics people have shown. Hoping for auto brightness adjustment or a ‘dark mode’ for nighttime. Would like to get a good idea of the options before I commit to my install. This is why in an earlier thread I was probing if anyone had considered trying an alternate location like on the back of the driver’s sun visor… where at least at night I could flip it out of sight completely if desired. But that could obviously create other issues (and be unavailable to passenger).

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Got my shipping notification. Looking forward to installing this.

Looking for matte screen protector to match other screens. Do you think this would fit?
BoxWave Screen Protector Compatible with Carpuride W103-B (10.3 in) - ClearTouch Anti-Glare (2-Pack), Anti-Fingerprint Matte Film Skin https://a.co/d/7l8n3wk
Anyone try this to verify? I didn't think about matching the screen to my other matte screens, but now it will bug me that it doesn't haha.

Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
… I think I underestimated how "busy" 3 screens could actually be…
Yeah… this is my (pre-install) concern. But regarding the screen waking, there is a physical button on top of the screen… my assumption was that if it was ‘turned off’, it would stay off until that button was pressed again (next hour, next drive, next day… whatever). Is that not how the button works? If not, please post a link for your inline USBC power switch. Thanks

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
How much of the issue for you was the screen background and brightness? Are there settings/adjustments that the unit supports to tone all that down? I will definitely need it WAY darker at night, at least than the install pics people have shown. Hoping for auto brightness adjustment or a ‘dark mode’ for nighttime. Would like to get a good idea of the options before I commit to my install. This is why in an earlier thread I was probing if anyone had considered trying an alternate location like on the back of the driver’s sun visor…
The brightness was a little annoying but not a deal breaker. There are settings for screen brightness and you can set it automatically on a timer (it's just a time of day to adjust brightness each direction, but it's better than nothing). The dim setting (combined with CarPlay in Dark Mode) was enough for me to feel comfortable at night. I basically set it to 0 at night and 100 during the day. I wish there was a light sensor that could automatically adjust brightness and toggle dark mode, though.

I'm not sure how the sun visor could work. It's thicker/heavier than that. It looks good installed and the mount is really solid and clever for the dash location, but I'm not sure there's another practical place to put it.

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
The brightness was a little annoying but not a deal breaker. There are settings for screen brightness and you can set it automatically on a timer (it's just a time of day to adjust brightness each direction, but it's better than nothing). The dim setting (combined with CarPlay in Dark Mode) was enough for me to feel comfortable at night. I basically set it to 0 at night and 100 during the day. I wish there was a light sensor that could automatically adjust brightness and toggle dark mode, though.

I'm not sure how the sun visor could work. It's thicker/heavier than that. It looks good installed and the mount is really solid and clever for the dash location, but I'm not sure there's another practical place to put it.
I posted these on another thread but here are the screens showing how the brightness can be adjusted.

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_9117

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_9116

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_9121

sandsk8erz400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Just got mine, very easy install as I'm using the 12v under the dash. Carplay was simple to setup just as they show in their video. Will have to get some seat time with it now to see how it is driving with the 3 screens, but so far it's been great. Love how simple the bracket is and well it fits with the dash.

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Just got mine finally. Install took about 15mins because I took the time to hide wires. So far it looks really good and the screen is very responsive. I have noticed that even if the vehicle is locked and off, if I approach near the car, the screen will turn on and boot up even though I never unlocked the vehicle. That is something I am not really happy about

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_0399

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_0401

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_0402

Rivian R1T R1S CarPlay & Android Auto Smart Dash Screen has arrived!  New from EVSportline.com IMG_0403
Sponsored

Last edited: