Sponsored

Changing tire&wheels while waiting to take delivery

VYGR3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I received my "confirm your configuration " email a few days ago. R1T, Limestone, 21s and confitmed it within a couple of days. Now I am at step 7/8 in the purchasing process. Basically waiting to take delivery, which I was told may take about 3 weeks. Now I'm not sure if 21s were the right choice. Hard to find tires (especially AT tires) for that size. I started thinking about purchasing aftermarket 20 wheels but due the weird combination of the offset and log pattern it is very hard to find aftermarket wheels for R1T. And frankly, I think the aftermarket sector probably won't even have enough incentive to make wheels for Rivians, because the market size will be small for a foreseeable future (just an opinion). Therefore I wanted to change my config to 20s. But my guide says it's not possible at this point. Wanted to see if anyone has made changes to their config while waiting for delivery? I understand that it would require assignment to a new VIN and would expect the whole thing to get delayed, but I am willing to do so if they let me.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

If changing to 20” with your current config is not possible at this point per your guide then I’d ask the guide what all official Rivian options are (e.g. keep pricing but go to back of the line?) and see if any are acceptable. If not, maybe someone out there took delivery with 20” and belatedly realized they’d prefer 21” for more range so you could pay them to swap?

edit: more detail on options

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I did this, but with the interior. Truck was waiting on inspection before shipping when Rivian announced that they fixed the wood issue on OC (by using the black wood). I really wanted OC, but when i confirmed my config OC was still on hold, so I switched to BM. My guide suggested that I could switch and I did. I was unmatched from my truck and then waited 6 weeks until my truck was built with the new interior color. It is now waiting for inspection.
Rivian had no issue with me switching at the 11th hour (I felt kind of bad but it WAS their issue that caused me to change) but it did take a long time to get chosen for another truck. They did warn me it could take months beforehand. So if they let you switch I would expect a long wait. Not sure if that's worth it to you.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Why not just get the truck with 21”, then sell the 21” and get a set of 20” wheels, or get a second set of 20” wheels to have two sets? It could be a few weeks or who knows how long to get matched to another truck. I’d just take what you have and worry about the wheels later.

I got my truck with 21” wheels and then got a set of 22” darks. After I got the 22” wheels, I sold my 21” wheels.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I did this, but with the interior. Truck was waiting on inspection before shipping when Rivian announced that they fixed the wood issue on OC (by using the black wood). I really wanted OC, but when i confirmed my config OC was still on hold, so I switched to BM. My guide suggested that I could switch and I did. I was unmatched from my truck and then waited 6 weeks until my truck was built with the new interior color. It is now waiting for inspection.
Rivian had no issue with me switching at the 11th hour (I felt kind of bad but it WAS their issue that caused me to change) but it did take a long time to get chosen for another truck. They did warn me it could take months beforehand. So if they let you switch I would expect a long wait. Not sure if that's worth it to you.
No shortage of takers....at any point.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VYGR3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Why not just get the truck with 21”, then sell the 21” and get a set of 20” wheels, or get a second set of 20” wheels to have two sets? It could be a few weeks or who knows how long to get matched to another truck. I’d just take what you have and worry about the wheels later.

I got my truck with 21” wheels and then got a set of 22” darks. After I got the 22” wheels, I sold my 21” wheels.
My understanding from what I have read so far was that Rivian is not selling their wheels separate from the truck orders. May I ask how could you acquire a second set of wheels?

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
My understanding from what I have read so far was that Rivian is not selling their wheels separate from the truck orders. May I ask how could you acquire a second set of wheels?
That’s not 100% accurate. That is correct that they are not selling them in the GearShop. However, if you can get a contact at your local Service Center, then you may be able to order/buy “spare” tire assemblies, then just buy the center caps separate if you need new ones. I was able to get a set of 5 22” dark wheels.

OP
OP

VYGR3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
That’s not 100% accurate. That is correct that they are not selling them in the GearShop. However, if you can get a contact at your local Service Center, then you may be able to order/buy “spare” tire assemblies, then just buy the center caps separate if you need new ones. I was able to get a set of 5 22” dark wheels.
Thank you, that's really helpful.
Sponsored