Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
Hi All,

I figured I would try and start a "Master thread" for new owners with their reservations, custom shop orders. I have some info that might be helpful, when your getting the where is my truck/SUV bug in the shipping process. I'll post my experience so far while waiting for delivery, hopefully it cam help some.

First off, I placed a shop/available inventory order on March 8th 2024, the truck is in route to be delivered this Friday March 29th 2024. If that helps with timeline. The info I have is hard to place in order, so I'll try to organize it.

Some detailed info below:
  • Order Area code: 92082 (San Diego)
  • Ordered on PC
  • Shipped from IL Factory
  • Stopped at Salt Lake City Service Center (sometime around March 26th) SD Service center text message after inquiry
    • "Hi shayne! Your vehicle is shipping from our service center in Salt Lake City. We're working with our logistics team to get it here in time for your appointment, but will keep you posted if it arrives sooner or if there are any delays."
  • I inquired to see if the vehicle left Salt Lake City, UT today at 8:30AM (I been without a vehicle and two kids so I need to plan)
  • For my order, it was shipped flat bed
    • It appears they use different shippers and perform trade off stops through different states. They stopped/checkpointed from IL at the UT service center
Tips/Tricks I learned with success:
  • If you receive a delivery text message, that is for your delivery location/service center. Like Tesla, if I called or reached out they were actually able to provide info my guide either did not know or wouldn't provide. My guide was adamant on just saying the vehicle is in route and we can't delivery any sooner than the March 29th date.
    • I found out texting this number with any question regarding your vehicle shipping/delivery, they should be able to provide you updates same day +- a few hours later.
  • I've hd multiple questions regarding delivery and tracking that have all been answered by this service center number via text. I was surprised it was this easy.
Guide Experience: So my experience with "My" Guide has been a meh experience. I can't speak for everyone's guide and I have nothing against this guide or the guide experience as a whole, just comparing apples to oranges with Tesla. it has been much different then what I have experienced in the past with Tesla, I have made 3 purchases with them over the last couple years. With Rivian, the whole ordering, shipping experience is like a grab bag of info and no one seems to know any particular info.

I'll continue to update this thread with more info as it's flooding out of my head. Please feel free to ask me anything, I am happy to help, I know what's its like with the waiting game. I planned on purchasing since 2018.

Leasing/finance Agreements:
  • It appears these are sent via email about 1-2 days before delivery. They will need to be signed the day before unless your guide gets permission on same day of delivery or you will be rescheduled

Insurance:
  • For some states Rivian requires the vehicles vin to be displayed on the policy and the ID card has to be valid for 90 days and provided a few days before delivery. (California does not require this)
Some states require a policy to be held

Deliveries:
  • There is weekend scheduling (especially during end of quarter pushes). The service centers will do both Saturday and Sundays.
  • Try to lock in the earliest time possible for delivery because you can only move it back after delivery date is set, unless you get lucky with a Guide that will help you out by watching for cancelations.
Sponsored

Last edited:

effelonmusk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model y
Thanks for sharing this info! I'm in the process too and my guide has been far from guided. Barely replies, impossible to reach. The process with rivian is probably one of the worst processes I've ever seen, but love the r1s so i guess this what we have to deal with

OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
Thanks for sharing this info! I'm in the process too and my guide has been far from guided. Barely replies, impossible to reach. The process with rivian is probably one of the worst processes I've ever seen, but love the r1s so i guess this what we have to deal with
The process is very clunky and the shipping/info is terrible.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

• If you receive a delivery text message, that is for your delivery location/service center. Like Tesla, if I called or reached out they were actually able to provide info my guide either did not know or wouldn't provide. My guide was adamant on just saying the vehicle is in route and we can't delivery any sooner than the March 29th date.
    • I found out texting this number with any question regarding your vehicle shipping/delivery, they should be able to provide you updates same day +- a few hours later.
  • I've hd multiple questions regarding delivery and tracking that have all been answered by this service center number via text. I was surprised it was this easy.
Agreed. When I got mine last year my guide thought it was "still on the train". But texting that number they told me it was outside (at Richmond SC) waiting for me, LOL.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
FYI... new buyer tip: your Insurance ID card has to be valid for 90 days starting from or a day or three before your delivery date. Some carriers only issue 30 day temp ID cards, Rivian will reject those and reschedule your delivery till you give them a 90 day insurance ID card.

Ask me how I know that o_O

Sponsored

OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
Agreed. When I got mine last year my guide thought it was "still on the train". But texting that number they told me it was outside (at Richmond SC) waiting for me, LOL.
I was surprised it was that easy to text the delivery number and of Course they had all the info lol

OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
FYI... new buyer tip: your Insurance ID card has to be valid for 90 days starting from or a day or three before your delivery date. Some carriers only issue 30 day temp ID cards, Rivian will reject those and reschedule your delivery till you give them a 90 day insurance ID card.

Interesting, My guide just had me send my current policy card that I have with Tesla insurance and that's all I heard. I don't have the truck on the policy, he just said send the copy then my insurance checklist went away...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Interesting, My guide just had me send my current policy card that I have with Tesla insurance and that's all I heard. I don't have the truck on the policy, he just said send the copy then my insurance checklist went away...
I's seen posts that for Cali that's sufficient, but for the other 49 states (I'm guessing at that number) you need to give Rivian an actual Insurance ID card with your Rivian's VIN on it with an expiration date at least 90 days in the future.

Zoomer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60CC

45 days validity remaining in my case. Phoenix delivery

OP
OP
ssbmx90

ssbmx90

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret

My guide told me this does not apply for California policies, assuming you are outside of CA.

Sponsored

bentsauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Diesel Tahoe
Occupation
Finance
I's seen posts that for Cali that's sufficient, but for the other 49 states (I'm guessing at that number) you need to give Rivian an actual Insurance ID card with your Rivian's VIN on it with an expiration date at least 90 days in the future.
Not true for WA. Uploaded my current policy for existing vehicle and that sufficed.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Guide Experience: So my experience with "My" Guide has been a meh experience. I can't speak for everyone's guide and I have nothing against this guide or the guide experience as a whole, just comparing apples to oranges with Tesla. it has been much different then what I have experienced in the past with Tesla, I have made 3 purchases with them over the last couple years. With Rivian, the whole ordering, shipping experience is like a grab bag of info and no one seems to know any particular info.
We got our R1T in May of 2023. When we inquired about delivery, all they said was "4 to 8 weeks". From closing configuration to delivery it was about 6 weeks.

Our issue was the financing part of the transaction. We didn't finance through Rivian and used our credit union. It was hard to get a straight answer of "Do you pay the down payment to Rivian?". They told us "Deposit your down payment into your credit union and then get a loan for the whole amount". That was ridiculous.....they wanted us to deposit $40,000 (down payment) into the credit union) and then get a loan for $100,000. That made ZERO sense. We were able to figure it out by talking to their manager.

We did let the SC manager that maybe some remedial training would help not just our guide, but the guides in general.

Other than that at the beginning, the guide has been amazing since.
Sponsored