Any New SR or SR+ R1T or R1S Delivered

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience with Carlton. His communications do need some work, it was rough not hearing from him as quickly as I expected, but it turned out pretty well.

i have seen all of the discussions about getting quads for the price I am paying, but my goal was to have better efficiency.

Billy
the one thing I definitely liked and had me hesitant about switching was the dual motor was noticeably quieter and more efficient than quad, and has much better cooling design than the QM making it better at working under sustained loads.
also it takes into account "lessons learned" from the Bosch quad design to the new in-house one.

it was the standard battery pack+ and “performance version” being nothing but purely a software lock on otherwise the identical hardware a total BS cash grab and major disappointment to me. ($8,100 for simply going into the program and toggling a flag seems like highway robbery to me personally)

To me the DM is like an R1.5T almost.
all things being equal If I had to do it again I would of gone DM w/large pack instead.
Sponsored

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

it was the standard battery pack+ and “performance version” being nothing but purely a software lock on otherwise the identical hardware a total BS cash grab and major disappointment to me. ($8,100 for simply going into the program and toggling a flag seems like highway robbery to me personally)
It’s pretty common with EVs. Tesla has been doing it for a long time. Look at it this way; no matter what vehicle you buy, gas or electric, you pay more for more power/capacity. No one is going to give that away for free. It’s just cheaper and more efficient for Rivian to engineer and build one common set of hardware for the lower end drivetrains then software lock it vs designing hardware for each of these incremental models. The result is the same for the end user. More power = more money, doesn’t really matter how they achieve it imo. But I get why it doesn’t sit well with some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eric9610

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

the one thing I definitely liked and had me hesitant about switching was the dual motor was noticeably quieter and more efficient than quad, and has much better cooling design than the QM making it better at working under sustained loads.
also it takes into account "lessons learned" from the Bosch quad design to the new in-house one.

To me the DM is like an R1.5T almost.
all things being equal If I had to do it again I would of gone DM w/large pack instead.
I think you are confused… the SR is a software locked SR+. The large pack is a separate model and so is max pack. I believe the capacities and modules have been reported on here somewhere.

as an FYI when my buddy got his SR the guide confirmed it was software locked SR+ not Large.

Last edited:

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
It’s pretty common with EVs. Tesla has been doing it for a long time. Look at it this way; no matter what vehicle you buy, gas or electric, you pay more for more power/capacity. No one is going to give that away for free. It’s just cheaper and more efficient for Rivian to engineer and build one common set of hardware for the lower end drivetrains then software lock it vs designing hardware for each of these incremental models. The result is the same for the end user. More power = more money, doesn’t really matter how they achieve it imo. But I get why it doesn’t sit well with some.
Yeah I hear you, but in the ICE world usually more power= mechanical differences like bigger turbo, cams, more displacement, larger fuel system, better cooling etc etc. (although there may be examples of OEM's simply running a more agressive tune on the ECM) but in the ICE world you can often tune it yourself to extract more power.

With an EV where do you draw the line? are you going to make sell more aggressive regen as a "sport brake" upgrade? With electric motors it is simply Accel and Deccel ramps/curves in the end.

When tesla sells you autopilot, Even though the hardware is all there, at least you can make some argument based on the R&D and development and continuous improvement required to make it eventually work properly.

I think you are confused… the SR is a software locked SR+. The large pack is a separate model and so is max pack. I believe the capacities and modules have been reported on here somewhere.

as an FYI when my buddy got his SR the guide confirmed it was software locked SR+ not Large.
That's what I said (or meant to say) .. Performance mode and Standard+ batteries are an $8100 software patch, nothing more. Every base Rivian will be one download away from 130hp/220ft/lbs + 45miles of extra range.

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
I took delivery today of my QM motor

the software is ancient 2023.36 (and for some reason not detecting any updates I hope it's not the 12V from sitting around so long at the SC)

and 3 issues with fit and finish (rear bumper doesn't sit right, arm rest leather is damaged, B-pillar plastic is scratched) front door alignment isn't quite right but I can live with that.
also whatever cleaner product they used left weird water marks on the metals.

Also lots of dust and dirt in the crevices you can tell it sat around a lot and was probably caked in dust. I've definitely seen better detailing/delivery.. but after being carless for so long I just wanted to get my Truck and go.

The adventure begins!

Sponsored

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
I took delivery today of my QM motor

the software is ancient 2023.36 (and for some reason not detecting any updates I hope it's not the 12V from sitting around so long at the SC)

and 3 issues with fit and finish (rear bumper doesn't sit right, arm rest leather is damaged, B-pillar plastic is scratched) front door alignment isn't quite right but I can live with that.
also whatever cleaner product they used left weird water marks on the metals.

Also lots of dust and dirt in the crevices you can tell it sat around a lot and was probably caked in dust. I've definitely seen better detailing/delivery.. but after being carless for so long I just wanted to get my Truck and go.

The adventure begins!
SW should’ve been updated by them before delivery.

Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
SW should’ve been updated by them before delivery.
I would of thought SW update was part of the PDI, and I can see there is the Rivian SSID saved in the screen.

so either it was already failing and they didn't care or bother troubleshooting it.

it's running on July's software and so far I haven't been able to trigger an update yet, and after trying the soft and hard reset, the chat person submitted a ticket to the OTA team and said sit tight and wait up to 48hrs.. otherwise I have to bring it back in for service :(

*edit* 4 hrs later I know got prompt to install 2023.38.. perhaps it only updates in increments instead of straight to newest version

Last edited:

Sparky24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and soon to be owner of an R1T. I'm not only excited to join the community and the enthusiasts, but also excited that my delivery is scheduled for 3/29/24. It will definitely be a Good Friday!

I will have to brush up on my acronyms but here it goes: LR, QM, B22s, Rivian Blue, Ocean Coast.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Congrats to everyone getting their deliveries.

I’m very excited to see these battery packs shipping out and customers getting them finally.

This will help Rivian get more vehicles in the hands of customers at an attractive price point for both parties.

Rivian R1S over Lexus GX550 all day long.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and soon to be owner of an R1T. I'm not only excited to join the community and the enthusiasts, but also excited that my delivery is scheduled for 3/29/24. It will definitely be a Good Friday!

I will have to brush up on my acronyms but here it goes: LR, QM, B22s, Rivian Blue, Ocean Coast.
congrats and please share some eye candy with us.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I posted in another thread but I got mine Thursday. My entire experience from order to delivery was fantastic. I haven’t noticed any build quality issues with the truck and it was detailed very well. Very happy so far. Sadly I immediately left the state for a week after delivery so haven’t had much time with it.

Rivian R1T R1S Any New SR or SR+ R1T or R1S Delivered IMG_4326

Last edited:

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Standard pack picked up today. Service center confirmed standard and standard plus have the same physical battery, standard is software limited.

IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_4056.jpeg
That green is so gorgeous. I love it.
Sponsored