Charging question

paranee2

First Name
Parani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi, I have a question about charging my friend's R1T. He went to charge it on the CCS charger at the gas station beside his workplace, which has a charging rate of 300 kWh. However, when he tried to charge it, it took a long time—20 minutes to charge only 40 km. Does he need to turn on anything, like 10 or 15 minutes beforehand, to warm up the battery or something similar?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hi, I have a question about charging my friend's R1T. He went to charge it on the CCS charger at the gas station beside his workplace, which has a charging rate of 300 kWh. However, when he tried to charge it, it took a long time—20 minutes to charge only 40 km. Does he need to turn on anything, like 10 or 15 minutes beforehand, to warm up the battery or something similar?
The truck is not capable of 300kWh, in perfect conditions it will do around 220 kWh for a bit, as it fills up it slows down. Do some searching on this forum, plenty of threads discussing charging, many of them have good links to YouTube videos of people testing and explaining how the charge curves work in general and specific to Rivian.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If the charger he wants to use is set as the destination in the Rivian navigation it will precondition the battery for fast charging. That being said, Rivians will top out around 220kW when charging so it won’t hit the 300 no matter what.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Three things have to be in place in order to get the max charge speed on Rivian of 220kw.

1) battery can't be too cold. If it is, charge speed will be limited until it heats up. Conversely, if it's too hot you will be limited as well.

2) the charger has to be working properly and capable of delivering the max speed. Many times the utility can limit the input during peak usage times. A common cause of slow speeds on CCS chargers is cable cooling failure. When that happens you might only get 10% of the max rated output.

3) the state of charge on the battery has to be fairly low. Once you get above 40-50% the speed drops. Speed starts dropping significantly the farther you get above 60%

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So many variables missing here, its nearly impossible to tell you.

Sponsored

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
So many things could be the issue:

• Battery pack will charge slower above 80%
  • Charger could be the issue and not putting out enough power
  • As mentioned above, the vehicle has a charging curve and will top out around 220, from 0-20% state of charge the battery will charge slower, then faster from about 20-65% and then start to taper back down and really slow down above 80%
  • 40km in 20 minutes sounds like a Level 2 charger, did this charging location have both L3 and L2 chargers?
  • Your friend needs to look at the charger and see what power it's outputting and look at the vehicle to see what it's receiving

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Make sure to put the charger in the nav before heading to it as well so the battery will precondition.
And you can tell level 2 from level 3 (ccs) because it uses the two large dc pins under the protective cover below the see j1772 connector.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Just because it says 350w on the charger doesn't mean it will do that. I went to an EA close to my work. It said 350kW and I know the best I could get would be no more than 220kW. I plugged in and I got maybe 5kW speed....yes, 5kW. I reported it to EA and read reviews and every single review said the same thing.

The best thing your friend can do is go to PlugShare and navigate to the charger he wants to use and read reviews of that charger he is trying to use.

OP
OP

paranee2

First Name
Parani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
thank you all ..

From 10 pm to 11:30pm, we were running around looking for a CCS charger. We tried about 5 chargers (Petro-Canada 150kW, Electricity Canada), but all of them gave him trouble connecting. They were flashing white and then turning red. These were all CCS chargers. He ended up leaving his R1T at my house to charge and took my car instead.
Thank you https://www.plugshare.com/ looks very promissing

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
"Hey, lets plug in here and see what happens. WTF seems slow".

Rivians are rated for a max of 215 KW. Period. If you don't select the charger in the nav system before you get there, your charging performance will suffer because it won't fast charge a battery that is not pre-conditioned. 30 seconds of research would tell you this.
Sponsored