First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3P, Model Y, Jeep YJ
Occupation
Specialty Electrical Supply
When in All-Purpose (High) and accelerating quickly, I get a loud clicking sound. I’ve had the recall done for the axle shafts. Does anyone else experience this or know what this sound is and why is happening?
I will try and get a video of it later today. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceCase

SpaceCase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3P, Model Y, Jeep YJ
Occupation
Specialty Electrical Supply
It shouldn’t be an issue, but accelerating fast while height on high is a no-no
Ya…..Unfortunately I was in High and when I pulled out onto the road there was a large utility truck speeding around a blind turn and I had to accelerate so I wouldn’t be rear ended. Made an awful sound. I figured it might be a torque vectoring’ feature’ as to not snap axles or ruin a drivetrain/suspension part. Idk though.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Ya…..Unfortunately I was in High and when I pulled out onto the road there was a large utility truck speeding around a blind turn and I had to accelerate so I wouldn’t be rear ended. Made an awful sound. I figured it might be a torque vectoring’ feature’ as to not snap axles or ruin a drivetrain/suspension part. Idk though.
Others have said it should be a non-issue. Just to watch out going forward

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I had it happen once....I attributed it to my crappy clearance problems at my axle splines and traction control. Rapid fire back and forth power to brakes.... splines back and forth clanking away....

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Agree. Rivian put an insane amount of engineering into this truck. Its extremely difficult to maintain reliability with all those different angles.

I have only had mine on high a handful of times. If you can take a vid that would help but otherwise like was said avoid hard acceleration in high.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I had this same issue. Service center said they fixed it but it wasn't fixed. I went back again and then the second time around they fixed it. Now I can accelerate on high without hearing the clicking noise. This was on my R1T. On my R1S it never had this issue. The loaner I had also had this issue. I believe they replaced both half shafts.

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
When in All-Purpose (High) and accelerating quickly, I get a loud clicking sound. I’ve had the recall done for the axle shafts. Does anyone else experience this or know what this sound is and why is happening?
I will try and get a video of it later today. Thanks!
Did you check to see if you have a Ford Ranger stuck in the front suspension? Haha

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
I currently have 2 R1Ts that both do exactly this and I had a loaner that did as well. I had the loaner while the Brooklyn shop did the half shaft washer fix on my truck. it fixed the low speed clicking but I still have the knocking noise from the shafts when I go full throttle in High on both trucks.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
So mine is in the shop for the same. I picked it up on Saturday and it still had the same sound, so I left it with them. They replaced the rear disconnect modules.

I got a new loaner R1T, and driving home I see it has the same issue, which is why I searched the forums.

If they can't fix it and it seems wide spread I'll accept that it is "within spec", although the SC didn't say that yet (so happy they heard it and took it seriously).

That said, it rarely ever happened. I knew it was related to accelerating, but it had to be a combination of that and also being in high before it would happen (which was rare).

But I have to wonder that all R1Ts do this given that you would think it would happen whenever there is load in high, like towing, rally, or Rock crawling as well ... it seems like something that should have been caught early in development.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Our neighborhood feeds out into a 70+ mph road with no on ramp or turn lanes. Sometimes the truck would be in all purpose high ... it took me a while to figure out what was happening because it's usually not in high (auto).

I would be happy with a SW fix that limited torque in high. I'de rather be a bit slower than worry if I am stripping out the disconnect module (that's what SC thought was happening).

SeattleSteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Nissan LEAF

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I got my R1T back and they fixed my issue.

Replacing the rear disconnects didn't work, but the latest visit they replaced the rear half shafts.

Very pleased with my SC visit(s).

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I got my R1T back and they fixed my issue.

Replacing the rear disconnects didn't work, but the latest visit they replaced the rear half shafts.

Very pleased with my SC visit(s).
That makes me think then it is the CV joints. Mine has only done it a few times...always caught in high, with a rapid acceleration turning into traffic.

It does sound lime CV joints with frequency of what I expect is each ball in each rotation.
Sponsored