Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
I think that maybe I have been cooped up at home too much while nursing a broken ankle. A hint: today my better half said “we need to make it a goal for you to go outside once a day.” Translation: “you’re a grump, get outta here.”

Normally this would mean strapping the tailgate pad to the R1T, loading up the mountain bike, and hitting some local trails. Since that wasn’t an option (see the aforementioned ankle), I decided to go for a drive.

TLDR; I went for a drive, made a bunch of stops and took a bunch of pictures. Spoiler alert: if you read this whole post hoping for meaningful data and Rivian insights you will be disappointed.

First stop was at a beach in Daly City just north of where the San Andreas fault angles out to the Pacific Ocean.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0743

South end of Ocean Beach in San Francisco. I chatted with a couple chillin in the car next to me who were curious about the Rivian.
Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0746

A quick detour for coffee and a big cookie.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0750

Alexa kindly dialed up some California-themed music for me.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0748

I stopped to look at a bridge.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0752

I waved to several friendly Rivian owners along the way. This owner has impeccable taste in color and wheel choices. Sadly, they were nowhere to be seen.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0753

I decided to drive across the bridge I previously stopped to look at.
Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0755

Found some mud.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0760

Turned back just south of Pt. Reyes where the San Andreas fault angles back to the shore. Climbed the ridge into the redwoods for the return trip.

Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0763

The daylight savings time change messed up my plans for a picture of the sunset. This will have to do.
Rivian R1T R1S Coastal Goodness Theraputic Drive IMG_0766

Trip Summary
Miles traveled: a bunch
Driving time: an afternoon
Efficiency: 🤷‍♂️
Drive modes: All-Purpose
Charging stops: none
Range anxiety: nope
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great pics! And yes, you need to get outside every day. It really does help!

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hope you recover quickly. Thanks for sharing the photos. Great to see where we can go with our Rivians, which seems to be anywhere and everywhere. Cheers!

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

One of the best posts of all time. Days like that are ultimate stress relievers for me. Thanks for sharing with us!

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
I’ve spent a good portion of my life tooling around above SF, I just love it up there. I was driving to Navato a lot for work from the east bay, and had a miata, top down, going fast, it was a thing, taking in the scenery and the air, all of it.

I hope to be back up there soon (I’m down in Topanga now, SoCal - I joke it’s the most southern tip of Marin…)

The job will pay for a plane ticket but I’ll probably just drive. BTW my truck looks just like the one in the lot…

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thank you so much for your pictures and encouragement. I have been nursing an injured knee for the last several months and have been in a similar boat. I will now try to be more out and about in Opal (our R1T).

Brian

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

She's not wrong. I spent a few months laid up for a broken ankle (and shredded ligaments) and that will send you to some dark places. Wish you a speedy (and complete) recovery; make sure to do PT.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Thanks for sharing! Glad you chilled out and took some nice photos. Hope you get all better soon. You have good taste in music and cookies! 🤤

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you so much for your pictures and encouragement. I have been nursing an injured knee for the last several months and have been in a similar boat. I will now try to be more out and about in Opal (our R1T).

Brian
It helped to embrace a “take it slow” attitude since moving fast isn’t an option anyway.

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

R1TruKaLa

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Blue R1T
Occupation
Merchant Seaman
I think that maybe I have been cooped up at home too much while nursing a broken ankle. A hint: today my better half said “we need to make it a goal for you to go outside once a day.” Translation: “you’re a grump, get outta here.”

Normally this would mean strapping the tailgate pad to the R1T, loading up the mountain bike, and hitting some local trails. Since that wasn’t an option (see the aforementioned ankle), I decided to go for a drive.

TLDR; I went for a drive, made a bunch of stops and took a bunch of pictures. Spoiler alert: if you read this whole post hoping for meaningful data and Rivian insights you will be disappointed.

First stop was at a beach in Daly City just north of where the San Andreas fault angles out to the Pacific Ocean.

IMG_0743.jpeg

South end of Ocean Beach in San Francisco. I chatted with a couple chillin in the car next to me who were curious about the Rivian.
IMG_0746.jpeg

A quick detour for coffee and a big cookie.

IMG_0750.jpeg

Alexa kindly dialed up some California-themed music for me.

IMG_0748.jpeg

I stopped to look at a bridge.

IMG_0752.jpeg

I waved to several friendly Rivian owners along the way. This owner has impeccable taste in color and wheel choices. Sadly, they were nowhere to be seen.

IMG_0753.jpeg

I decided to drive across the bridge I previously stopped to look at.
IMG_0755.jpeg

Found some mud.

IMG_0760.jpeg

Turned back just south of Pt. Reyes where the San Andreas fault angles back to the shore. Climbed the ridge into the redwoods for the return trip.

IMG_0763.jpeg

The daylight savings time change messed up my plans for a picture of the sunset. This will have to do.
IMG_0766.jpeg

Trip Summary
😎👍🏼

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Trip Summary
The greatest, untold story of the Rivian (T, Limestone, 20s ;) is what you ended with; a bunch of miles travelled in an afternoon with no anxiety and pure pleasure. On Saturday, my wife and I took a short trip up to our camping property to "get outta here". The trip used to take a toll - driving up I5 through traffic in our rickety old Suzuki was work. Now we chill out, drink coffee and chat while the truck drives and confidently ignores the a**holes who want _x_? and aren't getting it.
On the way back, we stopped at the Burger Bar (Kalama - recommend) and I could again confidently eat my sandwich while the T took over.

Dog and wife were happy. Even did a dump run to show the rednecks that it's also a real truck. (Fit a surprising lot of stuff in with the tailgate down...)

EV life is the SHIZ.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
You eat cookies in your Rivian? o_O o_O o_O

That violates the first three Rivian Rules:

1) No eating in the Rivian!
2) No eating in the Rivian!
3) No eating in the Rivian!

😁 JK.. .the photos look great!

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I missed the joke. Those are the rules.

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I tried the eating ban for a bit. I caved when it became apparent that the teenagers are incapable of getting out of bed in time for breakfast before the school run. Now I just make halfhearted admonishments to leave no crumbs. The car wash guys end up taking care of most of it.
Sponsored