Sponsored

Creating the Ultimate Wheel/Tire Combo (Help Needed)

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I have a set of Stock 22s which I find handle amazingly but has a really really harsh ride in my opinion.
I have a set of Dodge Ram 20's with a old set of K02s which have a softer ride but are amazingly loud

I kind of want to stick with 1 set of wheels so i am leaning towards 20's

I know we have a LOT of tire/wheel threads but maybe this will help someone (once an answer is figured out) on creating the best tire combo in terms of the following options in order of importance.

1. Traction/Safety/Handling (all in the same category because I think they are all inked together
2. Comfort
3. Efficiency (cant be worse than 22's), maybe changing rotational mass from 83lbs to something like 68lbs (wheel tire combo)
4. Off-Road worthiness (I have done the two trails in my area, I know one needs 20s but proper, the others can go with 22's) so its not important for me really

So I am thinking an Atomic Wheel (or something similar like Kaos 20s or a black rhino voltaic) but the real question is picking the tire. for a side I am thinking 275/60/20 to offer better handling but wish 55 was an option as its more sidewall that the stock 22 for comfort but not so much it affects handling.

Rivian R1T R1S Creating the Ultimate Wheel/Tire Combo (Help Needed) 1716750814483-jw

So doing some research from a spec perspective I found this

Rivian R1T R1S Creating the Ultimate Wheel/Tire Combo (Help Needed) 1716750639741-xq

Rivian R1T R1S Creating the Ultimate Wheel/Tire Combo (Help Needed) 1716750686787-uz

Let me know if I am wrong or just being too nitpicky lol. Also would love input.
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I have a set of Stock 22s which I find handle amazingly but has a really really harsh ride in my opinion.
I have a set of Dodge Ram 20's with a old set of K02s which have a softer ride but are amazingly loud

I kind of want to stick with 1 set of wheels so i am leaning towards 20's

I know we have a LOT of tire/wheel threads but maybe this will help someone (once an answer is figured out) on creating the best tire combo in terms of the following options in order of importance.

1. Traction/Safety/Handling (all in the same category because I think they are all inked together
2. Comfort
3. Efficiency (cant be worse than 22's), maybe changing rotational mass from 83lbs to something like 68lbs (wheel tire combo)
4. Off-Road worthiness (I have done the two trails in my area, I know one needs 20s but proper, the others can go with 22's) so its not important for me really

So I am thinking an Atomic Wheel (or something similar like Kaos 20s or a black rhino voltaic) but the real question is picking the tire. for a side I am thinking 275/60/20 to offer better handling but wish 55 was an option as its more sidewall that the stock 22 for comfort but not so much it affects handling.

1716750814483-jw.png

So doing some research from a spec perspective I found this

1716750639741-xq.png

1716750686787-uz.png

Let me know if I am wrong or just being too nitpicky lol. Also would love input.
Sounds like a great combo of wheel & tire. I would guess your efficiency should be closer to a stock 21” or maybe slightly better as you’re really improving/reducing the unsprug weight.

Atomic Wheels

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Just in case you need even lighter wheels, we have another design—AWZZ. We haven't made them for the Rivians yet, but we are happy to produce them as a custom order or any other design you like.

Rivian R1T R1S Creating the Ultimate Wheel/Tire Combo (Help Needed) AWZZ Model Y-04

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Just in case you need even lighter wheels, we have another design—AWZZ. We haven't made them for the Rivians yet, but we are happy to produce them as a custom order or any other design you like.

AWZZ Model Y-04.jpg

Specs?

Atomic Wheels

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Any specs you need. Regarding weight, I think for 20x8.5, we can achieve less than 25 lbs, while keeping the same 1170 kg payload. The exact weight we will know after we design the 3D model of these for Rivians.
We will do it in the next few days and I'll share the outcome.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sounds like a great combo of wheel & tire. I would guess your efficiency should be closer to a stock 21” or maybe slightly better as you’re really improving/reducing the unsprug weight.

I know it doesnt help to a point but I really think reducing 20lbs per corner would increase efficiency just dont know anyone who has done such a drastic change (AW Wheel combo with a Light weight tire etc).

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

Based on what you described your use case is, I think you would be very happy with the Michelins. And they would look great with those wheels. If you don’t need an AT tire I can’t really imagine a better set up.

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 1983 Defender, 1999 Defender, Tesla Model 3
I am mid testing. But so far with the Martians and the Toyo EVs, I love this thing. The 22s are the spirited smooth road driving champs. But damn does this 20” combo go “best of both worlds”.
Rivian R1T R1S Creating the Ultimate Wheel/Tire Combo (Help Needed) IMG_5869

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 1983 Defender, 1999 Defender, Tesla Model 3
Sidebar: yes. In that pic the truck is leveled for camping and that feature rocks!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm likely to keep the Rams with 275/60R20 on both, one AS and one AT, and sell my OEM 20s. Once I run the AS+3 off, I'll switch to LTX MS2. Currently running Wildpeak AT3W for ATs and really like those.

Sponsored

240vPlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Rivian R1
Clubs

I have thought about this quite a bit too. I would be chasing efficiency as good or better than the 21" road which is what I have on both of mine.

With that said, I would want the same offset and overall diameter of the stock wheel/tire setup so that I don't have any problems in the lower ride heights. I have heard that some folks had problems with rubbing in lower ride heights.

There are two things I don't like about the 21s. Big one is tire options and the price of the OE Pirelli....conservatively tire replacement is $2,000. The 2nd is that they don't offer a dark option.

It's really hard to find a setup that does everything well. Off-road you want a lot of sidewall and a tread designed for the job. For a commuter you want a LRR design with a compromise between confirm, performance,and efficiency. The sport setup you want a wide contact patch and less sidewall for the best handling.

Lowering the unsprung weight I would think will also improve ride quality as well as efficiency. It's just a tall order to find a tire that can do all of it well.

For anyone that does offloading I would suggest a 2nd set of wheels like you have done. Not only will you have the optimized setup for off-road but less concern if you damage a wheel.

My two cents anyway. Those wheels look sweet though and I'd love to see how the truck performs if you remove all that unsprung weight. Would be much easier if there was no adjustable ride height.
Sponsored