Sponsored

CyberTruck is more than Stainless Steel...Tesla excels at Engineering in so many ways.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

After watching the video, I'm far less impressed (both by the CT and Jason, who is entertaining but not particularly truthful or informative). As has been mentioned here, most of the "innovations" aren't new, the CT took 2.5 years longer to reach mass production than the R1T in spite of a huge advantage as an established manufacturer, and Jason just completely handwaved all the impracticality by saying it's not meant to be practical.

The drag race was either staged to make it look better or the guy in the Rivian was looking at his phone because you can clearly hear the tires on the CT screeching before the Rivian even moves. The CT certainly benefits from the higher top speed as well, since it hits the QM at a higher speed than the Rivian is capable of due to speed limiting. While Jason was prattling on about the not particularly revolutionary steering, you can see the CT leaning like a pregnant whale in the turns while he drives faster than a 30hp go kart. Nothing about that segment was impressive.

I do give him credit for highlighting the delays, costs, and the fact that it is horribly impractical even if he does effectively hand wave each of those because "TESLA."
Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
800v and 48v are more hype today than actual real purpose.

In both cases, you don’t have the ecosystem to support them. V4 chargers aren’t ubiquitous enough. Tesla is even limiting CT charging speeds at 250kw today.

48V, very few third party devices support them.

Rivian is likely moving towards them in 2026 when Peregrine project launches. By then, perhaps there will be at least more chargers that can use 800v
You are correct, not today, but all manufacturers need to get moving in that direction (48v & higher large pack voltage) to bring costs down for everyone. Our R1T is a year old with 19K miles and we love it. With that said, and as 8,XXX build, we are not planning to keep it past the base warranty, so within 2 years we will be replacing it. It will be interesting to see 2 years from now, in what ways has the Rivian R1T hopefully improved, how Cybertruck is in the real world, good or bad, and maybe something else we don't yet know about. I just struggle to understand all the hate from some individuals and why can't we appreciate other brands, models, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Wow, you sure walked back that one. Google is your friend, may want to use it next time before posting.
This is why Google couldn't find anything...

From Manitou202..."Tesla is the first to switch everything to the 48V system."

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
You are correct, not today, but all manufacturers need to get moving in that direction (48v & higher large pack voltage) to bring costs down for everyone. Our R1T is a year old with 19K miles and we love it. With that said, and as 8,XXX build, we are not planning to keep it past the base warranty, so within 2 years we will be replacing it. It will be interesting to see 2 years from now, in what ways has the Rivian R1T hopefully improved, how Cybertruck is in the real world, good or bad, and maybe something else we don't yet know about. I just struggle to understand all the hate from some individuals and why can't we appreciate other brands, models, etc.
1. The hype and simp-dom of the Cybertruck are real turn offs. Severely diminishes any appreciation of engineering achievements. People are human, and emotional responses trump 0s and 1s for far majority of people. This isn’t a weakness, it’s what makes people people.

2. Elon. His irratic behavior is a direct reflection on the Tesla brand, whether you like it or not. And imo, it’s a fair assessment. I used to be a big supporter of him and Tesla until 2021. Then, once he continues to go off into the far end, I can’t support him or Tesla with my money.

So, it’s easy and straightforward for me why people are distancing themselves from Tesla, regardless of any engineering achievements—this is important for a small percentage of the population. The “hate for other brands” you refer to is specific to Tesla, not really to other brands.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
This is why Google couldn't find anything...

From Manitou202..."Tesla is the first to switch everything to the 48V system."
manitou202 said:
48V architecture, steer by wire, and 4 wheel steering are offered by many other OEMs.
Please provide the "many other OEM's" that have anything you listed and in what vehicles. I'll be waiting.
So your plan is to just ignore that you were disproven easily on 2 of the 3, and given at least one other example of the 3rd, and still claim you were right? What a weird stance to take. It’s ok to admit when you’re wrong. It’s part of growing and we all are wrong sometimes. I’m wrong most of the time, just ask my wife.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I've said it before, but I don't hate Tesla or the CT. Just trying to be objective about it.
I hate Tesla, the Dumpster Truck, and Elon, and I’m being entirely objective about it.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I just struggle to understand all the hate from some individuals and why can't we appreciate other brands, models, etc.
It's not hate, just annoyance at Tesla fans and Musk.

They love to make all of these amazing claims and promises about Tesla (giga this, mega that) without realizing all of the other achievements and amazing products from other automakers.

Look at the premise of your thread. You were trying to brag that Tesla has superior engineering and was first to develop several technologies that already exist (stainless body panels, rear steering, 48V accessories, steer by wire, 800V battery, etc).

Look at the Cybertruck specs originally promised versus what is delivered.

Sure the Cybertruck has a couple of cool features and newly implemented tech, but nothing revolutionary or game changing. It's basically an odd/polarizing design with a few new iterations of technology that most OEMs have or will be implementing shortly.

Sponsored

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

So, maybe the best video yet on the New Cybertruck. I was surprised how much faster it was in a drag race off the line than my R1T...it just goes. I do think most people either love or hate the exterior, but under that tough exterior is some of the best engineering. Tesla has some of the best engineers who are unrestrained, unlike legacy OEMs with their bureaucracy and siloed departments. Tesla has finally moved to 48 v architecture, something they have wanted to do for some time, steer by wire, 4 wheel steering, major casting, ie Giga Cast, and the list goes on to produce an overall amazing machine. Just like my Rivian, I waited 4 years to get one, I've had my reservation for a Cybertruck for 4 years now. Time will tell, but Cybertruck may be our next EV.

I don't think I made it more than 30 seconds between cringing during this video. I knew it was downhill when he stepped out of the truck and he had SciFi distortion shoes.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Well, there you go. Thank you for finding one! Maybe GM read Tesla's book they sent to each CEO encouraging them to make the switch to 48v to get the whole manufacturing ecosystem to move on from 12v. Thank you for the info
Keep digging that hole you are in. This is a VERY entertaining laugh session.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
This video might as well be a promotional video for Tesla and its new features. It offered little meaningful comparisons to other trucks and zero details about the truck bed. Thankfully Marquees offered these in his review.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Its also probably wise to take these "early review" videos with a massive grain of salt. They got chosen for early access for a reason. They are always going to skew positive to protect their good graces with Elon who has a very easily hurt ego.

We really wont get real reviews for another year or so once normal people start seeing them.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
While I can appreciate some of the advancements in engineering, there’s just so many LOL pieces of the vehicle I can’t look past. It’s like their engineers just quit about halfway through development.

• Tiny frunk
  • Hilarious spare tire storage
  • Windows that went from bullet proof to “rock resistant”
  • it’s not a boat
  • horrible lines of sight, especially out the back
  • Material that will be impossible to keep looking nice
  • To get even 80% of the promised range, you have to sacrifice 1/3 of your truck bed (and can’t have a spare tire)
And just the straight up lying by the company you’re supporting With your purchase. I mean, like half the shit that was promised was vapor and now it costs 40% more than you were told.
I will add to this:

- no rear-view mirror
- inability to carry longer loads on the roof (think kayak, SUP, etc)
- forward visibility intrusion from A-pillar
- 10% reduced range if tonneau is open (!!)

Also - LOL @ not a boat.
Sponsored