Decision Time Tidal or Spotify?

What streaming service?

• Total voters

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Tidal will improve their experience, but it's unlikely Spotify will increase their bitrate.
Keep in mind that the native Rivian Tidal app is developed by Rivian. Granted, within the confines of what the Tidal APIs will support. So yes, there is lots of opportunity for Rivian to improve upon the current UX for Tidal. Spotify's bitrate is intrinsic to Spotify, nothing Rivian can do about that. Spotify has been teasing HiFi for years so who knows when/if that will ever materialize, seems they can't decide how they want to monetize that.
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Tidal has north of 100 million songs in their library. If you weren't hearing the songs you wanted to hear, it sounds like you may not have spent enough time figuring out how to use it. Rivian's Tidal app needs work so that may be part of the problem. I've been using Tidal for years so already have playlists, etc so I didn't have to start from scratch with Rivian's app. With that in mind, I only hear the music I like and want to hear when listening to Tidal even though they have millions of songs available that I can't stand.
Ya I only spent a week with it before I couldn't take it anymore.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Tidal has north of 100 million songs in their library. If you weren't hearing the songs you wanted to hear, it sounds like you may not have spent enough time figuring out how to use it. Rivian's Tidal app needs work so that may be part of the problem. I've been using Tidal for years so already have playlists, etc so I didn't have to start from scratch with Rivian's app. With that in mind, I only hear the music I like and want to hear when listening to Tidal even though they have millions of songs available that I can't stand.
Yeah, the R1T Tidal app is garbage. The only way to go (imo) is to create playlists on your phone or computer and just use them in the vehicle.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, the R1T Tidal app is garbage. The only way to go (imo) is to create playlists on your phone or computer and just use them in the vehicle.
I'll go as far to say the Android phone app is also garbage. I like how many songs and quality of music, but I still end up using Amazon Music, because it seems easier to work with. I'm an 80's kid, so that might have something to do with it.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

McCho

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vol XC60, Toy Cmry HB, Rivian R1T, Fskr Ocn (cs)
Occupation
Self-Employed
Clubs

Tidal all the way for home and car streaming. If you are not too concerned about sound quality then Spotify has better functionality and integration

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Another vote for Apple Music over Bluetooth (for now).

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I use both Tidal and Amazon Music in the Rivian because those are the services I use at home with my high end system. I've tried on multiple occasions to like Spotify but it is simply my least favorite for how I like to seek and manage the music I listen to. It also offers the lowest audio quality and, with gigabit fiber to the house, I can afford to stream higher bitrates. In the Rivian, both offer good sound quality. The Tidal app allows manual selection of stream quality. I believe Amazon Music may automatically adjust to what the network can support but, at present, seems to suffer more from dropouts (even in a major metro area like DFW which is home to ATT). Amazon Music is better supported by Alexa (will allow you to skip tracks during playback) but is currently only supported via Alexa.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
I'm using spotify, but I mainly listen to podcasts.
Also a Spotify user. Podcasts, wrapped, custom playlists, etc. make it worth it. I've heard its not the best sound quality but my ride has horrible sound anyway :(

Sponsored

HockeyDad

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

If you have either Apple Music and/or Spotify + Tidal then locate the playlist that you like from Apple or Spotify and transfer it to Tidal (you can use tunemymusic.com) and you'll gain the advantage of the sound quality.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you have either Apple Music and/or Spotify + Tidal then locate the playlist that you like from Apple or Spotify and transfer it to Tidal (you can use tunemymusic.com) and you'll gain the advantage of the sound quality.
I've also used soundiiz to transfer playlists between multiple services (including to both Tidal and Amazon Music). And if you don't mind the small subscription fee, it will also keep things in sync across multiple services over time.

Reactions: MWB

Smytherines

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country Polestar
I second this comment - I have been using Tidal since Spotify has refused to follow-through on their promise of high-res, and I experienced first hand what a difference in sound quality there was both in a couple of friends Tesla's and one Rivian R1T w/ the Meridian system. Once you've been using for a little bit and have some playlists setup, the recommendations are the best of any streaming service I've used since Google Play Music (RIP)...and I've used every single one worth mentioning. Whether it's 100% true or not, I also like that, $ for $, more money makes it's way into Artist's pockets with Tidal than any other service...not sure if this still the case, but it was about a year ago.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Tidal sounds best in the R1T.

Spotify sounds awful. I won't use it.

Where this sucks is that Spotify is the only service with half-working Alexa integration. Tidal has ZERO Alexa integration.

So you have to choose:

Spotify: Terrible quality but you can change songs when driving.

or

Tidal: Good quality but really not safe to change songs when driving.
Someone that has received the latest OTA (today) claims Alexa/Amazon Music "actually worked". If I recall you have very specific requirements with regard to what that actually means.

Let us know what you think when you get the update.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Someone that has received the latest OTA (today) claims Alexa/Amazon Music "actually worked". If I recall you have very specific requirements with regard to what that actually means.

Let us know what you think when you get the update.
Will do. Each OTA I get the first thing I test is Alexa. I would hope Rivian would call it out in the release notes when they finally fix it -- it seems like it would be a big deal and worth mentioning.
Sponsored