First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
On our way back from Erie to Lancaster (PA) this past Sunday, two deer were on I-80 as I was cruising along at 79 mph. Okay - not unusual in this part of the state and I was definitely on the lookout for them. I slowed down to 40 mph and let them cross the interstate and run up into the woods. A couple of things:
  • Does anyone know if deer would show up on the drivers screen? Cars, trucks, motorcycles, bikes, and people do. The deer did NOT appear on my screen, but I may have been too far away (yet still too close for my comfort).
  • The DriveCam video sucks! I know others have commented on it in the past, but I was really surprised to review the footage and could barely see a blur in the distance when they crossed the road. The only way I knew I was in the right spot on the video was because I could tell I slowed down (the white lines slowed down) and you could see a noticeable difference when reviewing the right camera view (but still no deer). I had visions of editing the clip and showing the two young deer crossing the highway, but it couldn't happen.
I love the idea of the DriveCam and that it captures the video from all four cameras, but I guess I'll have to wait until I buy my next R1S for HD video (or buy a dashcam).

Edited to change "LIDAR" to "drivers screen"...
Sponsored

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Not that this contributes to this discussion one bit, but does anyone know if animals show up on the dash view like people and zombies do on halloween?

OP
OP

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Not that this contributes to this discussion one bit, but does anyone know if animals show up on the dash view like people and zombies do on halloween?
That's actually, in my own convoluted way, what I was trying to ask...And if the answer is yes, does the vehicle alert you and brake?

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
That's actually, in my own convoluted way, what I was trying to ask...And if the answer is yes, does the vehicle alert you and brake?
I agree - would be nice to know. I have hit a deer and a pig on different occasions and both were a nightmare for the vehicle and the animal. All around terrible thing. On both occasions I was paying attention, saw the animal, and could not react in time. Would be great if the vehicle could auto break in that scenario.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
People show up on the driver's dash screen but, and I have checked this a couple of times, deer do not. Our island speed limit is 45 and our deer are plentiful so there is generally time to check the dash. I gotta say that the people are definitely zombie-like!

OP
OP

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
People show up on the driver's dash screen but, and I have checked this a couple of times, deer do not. Our island speed limit is 45 and our deer are plentiful so there is generally time to check the dash. I gotta say that the people are definitely zombie-like!
Thanks - I saw them and had plenty of time to slow down, but they were still pretty far away from me so I'm not surprised they didn't appear on the driver's dash screen. It made me wonder - thanks again for the info.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I find it best to drive in reverse so the Cargo facing camera can record good footage. :p

The R1S doesn't have this though.
Cargo bed camera does seem to be best plus it's protected from rain

Fencer

First Name
Vlad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
govt
They don't. I encounter deer on the road daily and truck doesn't recognize or display them. I know where the animals could possibly be and I slow down before I see them. The same with antelopes. I had a close call with an elk and the display briefly showed a motorcycle.

Rivian R1T R1S Deer on I-80...Not Visible in DriveCam elk - 1

Sponsored

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Maybe this is something they can address in the R1 refresh with the rumored new sensor upgrades?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If you were going 40 mph and the deer had time to cross, they were at least several hundred feet away. The camera is not going to detect them that far away.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
When the dash showed people for the first time they were stepping off the curb in the dark and I was glad for the wakeup call. It would be helpful to have notice of deer just off the shoulder, although if they spook into the road it is too late. It's just nice not to be startled if you haven't seen them, especially when traffic is coming at you and the high beams are off.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
worse is that John Deers show up are tractor-trailers.
Sponsored