Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Quick update on the delivery of Demo R1T. This was my first Rivian purchase and overall I would say it was on par with my multiple Tesla purchases. Few kinks in the process but overall great mostly online experience. I made a mistake and assumed that the truck would have full spare as it had adventure package and 20 inch wheels. Unfortunately, it didn’t have the spare. Other than that, I am impressed with the paint quality after 5800 miles. I can’t find any paint imperfections that I would care about. Quality of paint is light years ahead of all Teslas I have owned. Truck looks brand new. I got lots to learn about the interface and driving dynamics but love the quality of everything.
Excellent and congratulations! Some solid R1T deals...
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

There is a nice El Cap with Ocean Coast (9xxx miles) for $66k. Thats a great color combo.

Rivian R1T R1S Demo Rivians Now for Sale Screenshot 2024-03-22 130720

Simplejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
After scouring local-ish legacy dealerships for the last month or two, I pulled the trigger on a demo R1T this week.

I "bought" a truck in Brooklyn, NY (I'm around Knoxville, TN) with intentions of having it shipped to the Nashville, TN SC.

A guide reached out about 24 hours later and had me place the $1k down-payment as if I were buying a new one. Said trade in quote and financing would be done after that and even if I did not like the trade in valuation at that point I could not have my deposit refunded, unfortunately, and he recommended to have a back up option to sell my current truck (RAM 1500) to Carvana or a private party in that scenario. I thought that was odd, but followed his advice and got some different options on my trade in and financing in case Rivian's offers weren't agreeable.

I paid the $1k deposit and my guide was pretty quiet for the next day or two. During that period, I sent him an email to let him know that I would be camping next weekend and would need to make arrangements to pick up the vehicle sometime other than those days (last weekend in March).

He eventually replied back and said we have to finalize everything by the end of the month (Q1) or else I would "lose the discounted pricing". I thought that was odd he called it that, since the price is-what-it-is.

I told him in that case I would make arrangements to take a day off work to pick up the truck in Nashville.

Another day passed and he called me (around 6:30pm EST) and said he had unfortunate news: the trucks at the Brooklyn, NY SC could not be shipped to a different service center. Home delivery ($1k) isn't an option either. The only way to buy the truck would be to pick it up in Brooklyn prior to April 1st.

Given that Brooklyn, NY is 11.5 hours away with no time in my schedule in the next 2 weeks to make a 23 hour (round trip) road trip, I had to decline.

He told me to keep an eye on the demo shop and there's a "chance" the vehicle may pop back into inventory after April 1st and Brooklyn SC "might" change their policy after the end of the month. I almost wonder if this wasn't just some sort of push to boost sales before the end of the quarter, but I would think "a bird in hand beats two in the bush", IMO...

He initiated the refund of my $1k deposit within a few seconds of ending the phone call.

So, it was a disappointing experience for me after 4 days of truck appraisals, loan pre-approvals, etc. The truck was everything I wanted plus came with a couple extra upgrades that weren't necessities to me.

I even bought a new in box Rivian charger, circuit breaker, conduit and wire this week so I'd be ready for delivery. Lol

I'll be keeping a close eye on the demo shop for my preferred configuration (white or silver exterior, Ocean Coast, quad, 20" or 21" wheels, power tonneau) and hope to "try again" soon.

I hope others have a different experience! Just wanted to share how my "adventure " went.

Screenshot_20240321_172447_Chrome.jpg
Crazy..... I just booked this exact same truck. Logged on here to read the process regarding demos. I live in TX, guess I will be canceling this one. It's a great spec appreciate you posting the details of all that happened and why.

Purkinje

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Just sharing my story. Found my R1T in Austin, TX. I placed $0 reservation on demo website on 3/11 and had guide reach out around 3 days later. I live in Houston and was initially told no transfer and I'd have to pickup in Austin. Guide looked into it and came back saying they would actually be able to transfer to Houston. Was then told that something on the backend wasn't right with the initial deposit and that I needed to place a second deposit and that they would refund the first. I then had two different reservations on the rivian website and it was confusing over the next few days as the correct VIN was on one then the other. Ultimately things seemed to be going through but the price for the R1T was $460 more than what was quoted. Spoke with guide, this was eventually fixed. Picking up my R1T tomorrow AM in Houston. Very excited!

Patrick87

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Sales
Crazy..... I just booked this exact same truck. Logged on here to read the process regarding demos. I live in TX, guess I will be canceling this one. It's a great spec appreciate you posting the details of all that happened and why.
I hope you get it! I just booked another one that's in California. Honestly, I would rather that white one with the dark wheels, but I can deal with a silver one with the brighter 20's.

Good luck! Please report back with how it goes.

Sponsored

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
After scouring local-ish legacy dealerships for the last month or two, I pulled the trigger on a demo R1T this week.

I "bought" a truck in Brooklyn, NY (I'm around Knoxville, TN) with intentions of having it shipped to the Nashville, TN SC.

A guide reached out about 24 hours later and had me place the $1k down-payment as if I were buying a new one. Said trade in quote and financing would be done after that and even if I did not like the trade in valuation at that point I could not have my deposit refunded, unfortunately, and he recommended to have a back up option to sell my current truck (RAM 1500) to Carvana or a private party in that scenario. I thought that was odd, but followed his advice and got some different options on my trade in and financing in case Rivian's offers weren't agreeable.

I paid the $1k deposit and my guide was pretty quiet for the next day or two. During that period, I sent him an email to let him know that I would be camping next weekend and would need to make arrangements to pick up the vehicle sometime other than those days (last weekend in March).

He eventually replied back and said we have to finalize everything by the end of the month (Q1) or else I would "lose the discounted pricing". I thought that was odd he called it that, since the price is-what-it-is.

I told him in that case I would make arrangements to take a day off work to pick up the truck in Nashville.

Another day passed and he called me (around 6:30pm EST) and said he had unfortunate news: the trucks at the Brooklyn, NY SC could not be shipped to a different service center. Home delivery ($1k) isn't an option either. The only way to buy the truck would be to pick it up in Brooklyn prior to April 1st.

Given that Brooklyn, NY is 11.5 hours away with no time in my schedule in the next 2 weeks to make a 23 hour (round trip) road trip, I had to decline.

He told me to keep an eye on the demo shop and there's a "chance" the vehicle may pop back into inventory after April 1st and Brooklyn SC "might" change their policy after the end of the month. I almost wonder if this wasn't just some sort of push to boost sales before the end of the quarter, but I would think "a bird in hand beats two in the bush", IMO...

He initiated the refund of my $1k deposit within a few seconds of ending the phone call.

So, it was a disappointing experience for me after 4 days of truck appraisals, loan pre-approvals, etc. The truck was everything I wanted plus came with a couple extra upgrades that weren't necessities to me.

I even bought a new in box Rivian charger, circuit breaker, conduit and wire this week so I'd be ready for delivery. Lol

I'll be keeping a close eye on the demo shop for my preferred configuration (white or silver exterior, Ocean Coast, quad, 20" or 21" wheels, power tonneau) and hope to "try again" soon.

I hope others have a different experience! Just wanted to share how my "adventure " went.

Screenshot_20240321_172447_Chrome.jpg
I’m sorry to hear about your experience! If you scroll back to mine, I had a very frustrating time with my “Inside Sales Guide” Luis. Everything about the process felt very disorganized, and reaching Luis in any reasonable timeframe was a struggle. Days would go by with no reply to my emails/voicemail messages (there is no way to directly reach him, even when calling the phone number he lists in his emails). When he did have an update or response to my questions, they would often come in the form of a call me after 7 PM EST, even after I told him several times that I usually can’t talk between 7-8 PM because my toddler is going down then, and that I would prefer conversations to happen during work hours in my timezone. I responded typically within minutes/one hour tops for any steps I needed to take (any of the multiple deposits I had to make, signing of demo agreement, etc.). I ended up having to make 3 deposits because they made mistakes in assigning the VIN to me and getting the price right on several occasions.

They definitely want these to transact in Q1 (any boost in sales for their Q1 numbers is surely what they are after). I can’t believe your sales person told you that you had to take delivery before Q1 end and canceled your order. I would have been furious (and I have been pretty annoyed with my own experience). It seems that the inside sales team is a mess, but my experience so far has been that the delivery teams (or at least the people I’m experiencing so far at the Chelsea SC) have their shit together (and aren't unfamiliar with having to clean up messes from some of the the seemingly inept “sales” team members—at least that was the sense I got in speaking at some length with Elaine, from the Chelsea, MA SC).

I think there will be more demos hitting the shop in April, and I suspect it will be a way to keep sales up through the shutdown as shop inventories dwindle. I really hope you find another one that matches your requirements.

After almost 3 weeks and several (failed) attempts to speak with Luis' manager to help shed some light on why the process was so disorganized and rocky, I was finally able to get the right VIN and pricing on my portal lock in the non-refundable deposit in (still no call from Noah, Luis’ manager 🙄 but I think my case finally got escalated to at least get his attention). After all that, Luis then informed me that I had missed the transport window from Chicago to Chelsea, MA for delivery before Q1 ends!

Luckily, Luis was (not for the first time), wrong! I am scheduled for a 3/30 pick-up at the Chelsea, MA SC. After locking in my order and filling out all the steps (all but sending payment since I still need to ask my guide some questions first), I received communications from my actual Guide and Elaine with the Delivery and Mobile Operations Team at the Chelsea service center. Elaine texted and then promptly called me to set up transport, because I had checked the box wanting delivery to VT. She initially informed me that the truck would be in next week (contrary to what Luis had told me), and after hearing about my troubles so far, offered to throw in some all-weather mats as some recompense for the irritating and time-consuming experience I endured in this purchase process—as long as I could pick the truck up before Q1 end. If I need transport to VT, then it would be sometime in the first week of April (Q2).

After a couple calls to answer a few other questions I had about registration and payment (which would normally be questions a Guide would answer, but I hadn't spoken to mine yet), she said regardless of whether I make the pickup by Q1 end or not, I could still have the floor mats. That's what great service looks like! It's a $70k+ purchase, so why not throw in a couple of hundred dollars worth of "free" with it for something I would be buying either way, just to make me feel well-treated?

I also asked Elaine if they could possibly schedule my dad's R1T to get a same-day Tonneau replacement on the day I pick up my R1T Demo, which if possible, might give me another reason to go pick up the truck in person rather than send it up on a flatbed. She indicated that depending on parts availability, they could do this, though it may have to wait until the first week of April. In reviewing our options, I asked her whether they would come pick his truck up with a loaner on a flatbed (dropping off loaner/picking up his truck for the repair—something they had previously told my dad they wouldn't do anymore even for warranty work). She not only remembered my dad (he had one of the first R1T deliveries in VT), but also put in writing that they would do a loaner swap. This kind of service bodes well in my eyes—and helps both me and my father feel more confident in owning work/personal trucks 3+ hours away from a service center.

Elaine told me that sometimes, with Rivian, you just have to "find the right person to ask." Needless to say, I will keep her personal number in case I need any warranty work in the future—she seems like she can get things done for customers! She was the one who thought to offer some free all-weather mats after hearing about my purchase saga. She also answered several of my questions about registration, payment, etc.—and she’s not even my guide! Communications with Elaine have been so much better so far than my Inside Sales Guide—easily reachable by phone/text (with a direct line to the SAME person—which should just be standard for any vehicle sales/service departments), answering questions promptly and in writing when asked, and friendly/understanding of my frustration with the prior chain of people. This has helped restore some faith in the brand's ability to train people and structure departments for efficient service—though your experience is at least one more data point to suggest that the "Sales" team needs some overhauling.

If everything goes to plan, I will either be picking up my R1T on 3/30, or the following week 🤞🏼

Rivian R1T R1S Demo Rivians Now for Sale Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.36.40 PM

Patrick87

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Sales
I’m sorry to hear about your experience! If you scroll back to mine, I had a very frustrating time with my “Inside Sales Guide” Luis. Everything about the process felt very disorganized, and reaching Luis in any reasonable timeframe was a struggle. Days would go by with no reply to my emails/voicemail messages (there is no way to directly reach him, even when calling the phone number he lists in his emails). When he did have an update or response to my questions, they would often come in the form of a call me after 7 PM EST, even after I told him several times that I usually can’t talk between 7-8 PM because my toddler is going down then, and that I would prefer conversations to happen during work hours in my timezone. I responded typically within minutes/one hour tops for any steps I needed to take (any of the multiple deposits I had to make, signing of demo agreement, etc.). I ended up having to make 3 deposits because they made mistakes in assigning the VIN to me and getting the price right on several occasions.

They definitely want these to transact in Q1 (any boost in sales for their Q1 numbers is surely what they are after). I can’t believe your sales person told you that you had to take delivery before Q1 end and canceled your order. I would have been furious (and I have been pretty annoyed with my own experience). It seems that the inside sales team is a mess, but my experience so far has been that the delivery teams (or at least the people I’m experiencing so far at the Chelsea SC) have their shit together (and aren't unfamiliar with having to clean up messes from some of the the seemingly inept “sales” team members—at least that was the sense I got in speaking at some length with Elaine, from the Chelsea, MA SC).

I think there will be more demos hitting the shop in April, and I suspect it will be a way to keep sales up through the shutdown as shop inventories dwindle. I really hope you find another one that matches your requirements.

After almost 3 weeks and several (failed) attempts to speak with Luis' manager to help shed some light on why the process was so disorganized and rocky, I was finally able to get the right VIN and pricing on my portal lock in the non-refundable deposit in (still no call from Noah, Luis’ manager 🙄 but I think my case finally got escalated to at least get his attention). After all that, Luis then informed me that I had missed the transport window from Chicago to Chelsea, MA for delivery before Q1 ends!

Luckily, Luis was (not for the first time), wrong! I am scheduled for a 3/30 pick-up at the Chelsea, MA SC. After locking in my order and filling out all the steps (all but sending payment since I still need to ask my guide some questions first), I received communications from my actual Guide and Elaine with the Delivery and Mobile Operations Team at the Chelsea service center. Elaine texted and then promptly called me to set up transport, because I had checked the box wanting delivery to VT. She initially informed me that the truck would be in next week (contrary to what Luis had told me), and after hearing about my troubles so far, offered to throw in some all-weather mats as some recompense for the irritating and time-consuming experience I endured in this purchase process—as long as I could pick the truck up before Q1 end. If I need transport to VT, then it would be sometime in the first week of April (Q2).

After a couple calls to answer a few other questions I had about registration and payment (which would normally be questions a Guide would answer, but I hadn't spoken to mine yet), she said regardless of whether I make the pickup by Q1 end or not, I could still have the floor mats. That's what great service looks like! It's a $70k+ purchase, so why not throw in a couple of hundred dollars worth of "free" with it for something I would be buying either way, just to make me feel well-treated?

I also asked Elaine if they could possibly schedule my dad's R1T to get a same-day Tonneau replacement on the day I pick up my R1T Demo, which if possible, might give me another reason to go pick up the truck in person rather than send it up on a flatbed. She indicated that depending on parts availability, they could do this, though it may have to wait until the first week of April. In reviewing our options, I asked her whether they would come pick his truck up with a loaner on a flatbed (dropping off loaner/picking up his truck for the repair—something they had previously told my dad they wouldn't do anymore even for warranty work). She not only remembered my dad (he had one of the first R1T deliveries in VT), but also put in writing that they would do a loaner swap. This kind of service bodes well in my eyes—and helps both me and my father feel more confident in owning work/personal trucks 3+ hours away from a service center.

Elaine told me that sometimes, with Rivian, you just have to "find the right person to ask." Needless to say, I will keep her personal number in case I need any warranty work in the future—she seems like she can get things done for customers! She was the one who thought to offer some free all-weather mats after hearing about my purchase saga. She also answered several of my questions about registration, payment, etc.—and she’s not even my guide! Communications with Elaine have been so much better so far than my Inside Sales Guide—easily reachable by phone/text (with a direct line to the SAME person—which should just be standard for any vehicle sales/service departments), answering questions promptly and in writing when asked, and friendly/understanding of my frustration with the prior chain of people. This has helped restore some faith in the brand's ability to train people and structure departments for efficient service—though your experience is at least one more data point to suggest that the "Sales" team needs some overhauling.

If everything goes to plan, I will either be picking up my R1T on 3/30, or the following week 🤞🏼

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.36.40 PM.png
It was definitely a bummer! According to my guide, the biggest problem was that Rivians can't be transported out of their Brooklyn, NY SC (supposedly).

Fortunately, I was able to "reserve" another demo from the site on Friday evening. I'm hoping I have a better result on this one. It's located in California.

Glad your experience got better toward the end! Congrats on your new truck!

willk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Ford Maverick
Occupation
retired
I live in Nevada where Rivian says it can't be registered. I found out that probably the reason is because Nevada does not consider a demo vehicle as new if it has over 2500 miles on it and is over one model year old. I have noticed that occasionally a demo comes up that is 2023 and under 2500 miles. There is one now but I want road tires and this one is in Brooklyn. No help from the guide for this question. I wonder since it is 0 down to start if I see one to just go ahead and sign up? All they can do is tell me no. Another question. How do we know if the vehicle qualifies for the $3750 EV Tax Credit. They don't show the MSRP. Just the selling price.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I live in Nevada where Rivian says it can't be registered. I found out that probably the reason is because Nevada does not consider a demo vehicle as new if it has over 2500 miles on it and is over one model year old. I have noticed that occasionally a demo comes up that is 2023 and under 2500 miles. There is one now but I want road tires and this one is in Brooklyn. No help from the guide for this question. I wonder since it is 0 down to start if I see one to just go ahead and sign up? All they can do is tell me no. Another question. How do we know if the vehicle qualifies for the $3750 EV Tax Credit. They don't show the MSRP. Just the selling price.
Yes, if I were you I would definitely “buy” one for $0 dollars if it’s up on the shop and available. You don’t really have anything to lose, and hopefully you’ll be paired with a better Inside Sales Guide than I was who can help you determine whether or not you can get one.

The Monroney sticker will show the pre March 2022 price (or at least mine does, and then a discount—$9,443 in my case). I’m not sure how/if it qualifies for EV credit for regular consumers, but it does qualify for the $7,500 Commercial Clean Vehicle Credit, which we will be using since it’s a business purchase.

Rivian R1T R1S Demo Rivians Now for Sale 1711325463067-0h

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Model 3, 2024 Mustang GT
Occupation
Self Employed
- Reserved an r1t from the shop on 3/11
- A sales rep called on 3/12
- Same as others have reported, I was told I needed to lock in the truck with a $1k deposit in order to get to the steps that include the trade in estimate. I think they need to improve that aspect.
- I put in my deposit and order was confirmed on 3/13
- The trade offer was not generous but was within a few hundred dollars of what Carvana quoted. But I get tax savings also by trading in so, while I was worried about being low balled, the trade offer was within the realm of what I'd call fair.
- Initially, my config also appeared as a generic LA Silver model as well but it was updated to the actual truck within days.
- Final pricing was actually $1k lower than the shop originally showed. I think this is because they lowered the price of the tonneau cover to match the new $500 cost.
- Vehicle has to be shipped from San Francisco to Chicago, the cost of which is included in the vehicle price (destination charge on all new Rivians).
- All 8 steps were easily completed in one day.
- I'm scheduled to pick up the truck on 3/30 if everything stays on track.

The process has been easy so far but I AM somewhat concerned about how Rivian will address any unusual wear on the truck. It looks good in the photos but they aren't exactly close ups. Hopefully, this won't end up being an issue because the sales rep was pretty clear that the truck was "as is." As long as we both define normal wear and tear similarly, it should be fine.

Sponsored

samdabutcha

First Name
DK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Also in Nevada, curious to see what happens if you try this!

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
I closed my demo purchase last week. Getting the thing wrapped up was difficult, but if you buy a demo (from any dealer) you get what the vehicle is. And the sales people don't have any idea what vehicles are about to be listed for sale. If you are picky you have to watch the demo site all the time and if you see what you want grab it.

I think Rivian does a good job of delegating accountability without delegating authority. It makes simple tasks/adjustments (like my incorrect price) take 2-3 days to fix. There is more than a little chaos in Normal right now. They had already moved people to Georgia and now what? Between shut down, Georgia situation, layoffs, Normal new plant (being discussed on ground across the road), R2 and R3 they have a lot on their plate. Leads to the disorganization. Just my two cents after being over there a bunch lately.

yourgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Have any of you able to negotiate price of demo vehicle? We are going for a much expensive demo vehicle than the first one we selected due to some issue on Rivian's end related to shipping within Q1 time frame.

Has anyone ordered a spare tire for the pre-order price since the demo is priced at pre-order price

yourgrace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Yes, if I were you I would definitely “buy” one for $0 dollars if it’s up on the shop and available. You don’t really have anything to lose, and hopefully you’ll be paired with a better Inside Sales Guide than I was who can help you determine whether or not you can get one.

The Monroney sticker will show the pre March 2022 price (or at least mine does, and then a discount—$9,443 in my case). I’m not sure how/if it qualifies for EV credit for regular consumers, but it does qualify for the $7,500 Commercial Clean Vehicle Credit, which we will be using since it’s a business purchase.

1711325463067-0h.png
1. How were you able to get Monroney sticker?
2. Do you have miles on this car in thousands? Goodwill discount is ~10k!

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
1. How were you able to get Monroney sticker?
2. Do you have miles on this car in thousands? Goodwill discount is ~10k!
The steps should be as follows (skipping all the irritating missteps that my purchase experience included, which I've detailed on prior posts):

1. Reserve vehicle on the shopify page.
  2. An Inside Sales Guide reaches out to you within 24 hours, and you receive a demo sales agreement.
  3. Sign the demo agreement and place a $1k refundable deposit/order for a custom base build (QM/Large/LAS/BM/21"). I'm not sure how this will work now that they've closed the custom builds section of the website.
  4. The actual VIN of the demo vehicle gets assigned to your order. At this point, the price and build list should change to exactly match the demo vehicle you reserved. I had to correct the price 3 times, so make sure you thoroughly vet this and make your guide fix if its off.
  5. Lock in the vehicle with a $1k non-refundable commitment. After this point, I assume what follows works like any other current Rivian transaction for a shop or custom built vehicle.
  6. You will now have all the purchase information, forms, and transaction summary (which includes any information that will be on the Monroney sticker).
  7. Your Delivery Guide will email you, as well as a delivery coordinator from the final destination SC you are picking the vehicle up or arranging transport from.
My R1T has 9,896 Miles. The price is pre-March 2022 pricing, minus the "goodwill discount." I assume that means that any Launch Edition demo vehicles even better pricing for options like RUS and dark wheels etc.

I've been in contact with my delivery coordinator (or officially, based on email signature, someone on the "Delivery & Mobile Operations" team at the Chelsea SC) since Friday. She was very helpful answering questions and helping me set up a plan for pick up or delivery. I spoke with my Guide for the first time today, and she helped correct some things with the agreement and answer several questions I still had. Both have been much more attentive, effective, and communicative than my Inside Sales Guide at the beginning of the process.

I'm still deciding about whether I will drive to Chelsea to take delivery in person, which I can't do this weekend, or whether I'll send a transporter to pick the truck up on Saturday. Even though they are undoubtedly getting pressure to deliver before end of quarter, both my Guide and delivery coordinator are leaning towards suggesting I wait one more week and pick the truck up in person. This is their first Demo truck, and they still haven't been able to confirm if the Tonneau is 1st or 2nd gen., and/or if it's functional, and the truck isn't in Chelsea yet. I'm thinking it's worth waiting one more week to be able to collect the truck in person since that will give me a chance to look over the truck thoroughly in person before finalizing the sale.

One cool tidbit I learned from Elaine, my delivery coordinator, that I have heard from nobody and read nowhere on this forum: apparently, I can have RUS added at the SC after I take delivery! I asked expecting the answer to be a "sorry... we can't do that at this time" response, but was pleasantly surprised to find that apparently it can be done. I only thought to ask about this after reading this thread dispelling myths about RUS being bonded to the battery pack and demonstrating that it's simply a carbon/aluminum full-length skid plate/reinforcement bolted to the bottom, which made it clear to me that there wasn't any technical reason it couldn't be retrofitted.

The spec I got was nearly perfect (for me) with one flaw: no RUS. I am waiting on a quote to have this added, which would be amazing. Elaine sounded confident that this can (and has?) been done, and I hope she's right. This even shocked my Guide, who later confirmed that it is possible. This seems like it would be a popular upgrade for all the people who ended up with shop vehicles that don't have it who want the peace of mind, or who are damaging plastic underbody components.
Sponsored

Last edited: