Sponsored

pastreit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
An update... I tested the Kewig three port charger and only the right USB-C port fast charges my Samsung Galaxy S21. The other is half that speed. I contacted support and they were not too helpful, so I returned it. I put the second cigarette lighter port in it's place and bought a fast charger to plug into it.
Sponsored

3wisemonkeyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyunda Santa Fe, Kia Telluride
Clubs

You mentioned this could power an amplifier, presumably for an add-on subwoofer - is that true? Any recommendations on routing the wire to the spare tire storage where the sub would be?

OP
OP
Riptonite

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

You mentioned this could power an amplifier, presumably for an add-on subwoofer - is that true? Any recommendations on routing the wire to the spare tire storage where the sub would be?
Since the positive lug ties to the main 12V battery, it should be able power pretty much anything the 12V system can handle.
I haven't installed my amp yet so I can't offer pics and confirmation, but I aim to run my power cable along the passenger side door frames, under the trim and next to the edge of the carpet.
That seems likely easier than going through the center console and back.
Note: I am also going to check the rear wiring to see if I can pull from the auxiliary air compressor circuit since that has a 40A fuse (F11 on passenger side fuse block). From initial visual check, it looks like the air compressor controller activates a relay in the left rear corner since the leads to the compressor are much larger than any to the controller.

3wisemonkeyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Since the positive lug ties to the main 12V battery, it should be able power pretty much anything the 12V system can handle.
I haven't installed my amp yet so I can't offer pics and confirmation, but I aim to run my power cable along the passenger side door frames, under the trim and next to the edge of the carpet.
That seems likely easier than going through the center console and back.
Note: I am also going to check the rear wiring to see if I can pull from the auxiliary air compressor circuit since that has a 40A fuse (F11 on passenger side fuse block). From initial visual check, it looks like the air compressor controller activates a relay in the left rear corner since the leads to the compressor are much larger than any to the controller.
please let us know if you do that and how it works out. Im just looking for the simplest way to tap into power for a sub without throwing errors/draining.

OP
OP
Riptonite

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Initial check results:
Here is a couple pics of the power leads for the R1S Aux Air Compressor. The six-terminal connector furthest back is the one of interest. The top side is from vehicle interior and is the source/feed, bottom side goes under the vehicle. Power comes in via the rear-most pink wire (driver's side rear as the connector is installed, visible next to the empty terminal). Activating the air compressor energizes the driver's front pink wire (somewhat hidden in these pics).
I haven't yet confirmed the power routes through passenger-side F11 since the weather sucks today and I didn't want sleet in my face while peering under the dash.
This is "only" a 40A circuit, so I may try powering my 1000W amp through this to see if it holds up to moderate thumping while also carrying a spare 40A fuse and expecting to route separately-fused power back from the aforementioned fuse block tap sometime in the future.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY: How To Add Interior 12v/USB-C (and interior high-current 12v loads) 20240403_141633

Rivian R1T R1S DIY: How To Add Interior 12v/USB-C (and interior high-current 12v loads) 20240403_141630

Sponsored

3wisemonkeyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Initial check results:
Here is a couple pics of the power leads for the R1S Aux Air Compressor. The six-terminal connector furthest back is the one of interest. The top side is from vehicle interior and is the source/feed, bottom side goes under the vehicle. Power comes in via the rear-most pink wire (driver's side rear as the connector is installed, visible next to the empty terminal). Activating the air compressor energizes the driver's front pink wire (somewhat hidden in these pics).
I haven't yet confirmed the power routes through passenger-side F11 since the weather sucks today and I didn't want sleet in my face while peering under the dash.
This is "only" a 40A circuit, so I may try powering my 1000W amp through this to see if it holds up to moderate thumping while also carrying a spare 40A fuse and expecting to route separately-fused power back from the aforementioned fuse block tap sometime in the future.

20240403_141633.jpg

20240403_141630.jpg
Awesome, thank you!

gteudt

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2018 Durango
Occupation
Telecom
Clubs

Also, if you don’t know the part #, you can always take a pic of it and submit a service ticket. When someone contacts you, just tell them you need to pick up the part and they’ll forward the request to your local SC.
In case someone needs a replacement part
Rivian R1T R1S DIY: How To Add Interior 12v/USB-C (and interior high-current 12v loads) part.JPG

MaTeZZ

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla S
Occupation
IT
Can something like a dashcam be powered from the 12V battery 24/7? Not sure how often the system checks the voltage and recharge it
Sponsored