Sponsored

Drive unit gear lash?

RYU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I should have posted a follow up:

12/19/22 - Service appointment. They take off the bolted connection from the hub to the shaft and grease it. Sound is gone!

1/5/23 - Sound is back! created a new service ticket. Advisor said this is a common problem and grease only fixes it some of the time

1/23/23 - Service appointment is scheduled. Replacing both front half-shafts. Should be done in half a day.
This is exactly the "fix" for both of my Toyotas (Tacoma and Land Cruiser). Greasing the various joints will get rid of it for about a season. It comes back.

IMHO If this isn't a critical problem, i'm willing to let it go. I know... tough pill to swallow for a $80k vehicle, but i'm certain most of the AWD off-road capable ICE vehicles do this. We just don't hear it as much. My Land Cruiser/LX570 did this same thing on both front and rear axles.
Sponsored

OP
OP

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had a 2011 F-150 that I needed to drop the axle to grease the spline about every other year. Not a big deal, but this sound I hear on the Rivian came back in under 1,000 miles of driving. This isn't great.

DailyR1

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure - Limestone
Occupation
Sales
Clubs

Was this ever solved?
Sponsored