superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
Scarlet A for Assist.

I'm not judging you. "More attentive" sounds like you're trying to do this responsibly.

But are you really going to choose to continue to use it after this experience? If so, can you explain why?

I can't imagine using a function that sent me veering towards a row of land dividers, even relatively tear-away dividers, at extremely high speeds, and then sent me into another lane.

I thought these nannies were just for preventing you crossing lane lines, but it sounds like they're trying to track lanes instead. A technology that's trying to find lanes but consistently makes mistakes seems wildly dangerous to me.
I should have commented that no, I don’t plan to use it again. It’s too dangerous. But if I or anyone else does, I think an indicator like a “Student Driver” sign would help.
Sponsored

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Vansfan98

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self employed
Since the new update there’s a sudden jerking motion when going slightly out of the lane. This could be a real problem in the icy conditions where I live. I’m fully outfitted with studded tires so I’m prepared but it’s still a potential issue. Anyone with an issue in snowy conditions? Maybe it shuts off in snow mode?

AlanP

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Very similar experience to OP. Sent the video to Rivian. Guide responded “hope you’re OK” Stay adventurous. Once was enough for me.

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
I should have commented that no, I don’t plan to use it again. It’s too dangerous.
Good for you. I agree with you in this 100%. I think a lot of injuries and deaths could have been avoided if everyone followed that line of thinking.

Even Tesla, being far ahead of most with their years spent developing vehicle self-driving, has had numerous documented instances of self-driving failures. I believe it will be many more years before there exists safe and successful vehicle self-driving.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I adore my R1S, but decided to post this in case it helps one person avoid an accident.

While traveling northbound on MoPac in Austin, TX, at approximately 70 mph, I activated Driver+. I was in the left-most non-express lane. The express lane was to my immediate left. As the road curved right, my R1S failed to follow the curve. It started going into the express lane, separated from my lane by chest-height vertical reflectors. Suddenly, Driver+ recognized what it was doing and swerved right, past the lane I was originally in, and into the next lane, causing several other cars to veer around me. This all happened within a few moments with my hands on the wheel. I had to take control of the vehicle and return to my original lane. I'm not sure what Driver+ would have done if I had let it continue making decisions. My family was with me.

As a side note: I wish there were a way to indicate that I was in assisted driving mode, like what Mercedes is doing. I got justified glares from the people who swerved to avoid me, likely checking if I was on my phone or falling asleep at the wheel, neither of which was true. (In fact, I focus more when Driver+ is activated.) Such lights could help them decide how close to drive to me (e.g., how much they trust assisted driving modes). I, personally, would maintain a greater distance from vehicles in an assisted mode.

Hope this helps someone.
Yet another reason I don't use (or ever will) Driver+. To me, it isn't ready for primetime.

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
I don't. Other drivers will try to play games with you if they know you are using one of those systems.
I didn't think of that, but you're right. That's even more dangerous.
Sponsored