Driver+ PSA - Dangerous behavior near express lane

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
I adore my R1S, but decided to post this in case it helps one person avoid an accident.

While traveling northbound on MoPac in Austin, TX, at approximately 70 mph, I activated Driver+. I was in the left-most non-express lane. The express lane was to my immediate left. As the road curved right, my R1S failed to follow the curve. It started going into the express lane, separated from my lane by chest-height vertical reflectors. Suddenly, Driver+ recognized what it was doing and swerved right, past the lane I was originally in, and into the next lane, causing several other cars to veer around me. This all happened within a few moments with my hands on the wheel. I had to take control of the vehicle and return to my original lane. I'm not sure what Driver+ would have done if I had let it continue making decisions. My family was with me.

As a side note: I wish there were a way to indicate that I was in assisted driving mode, like what Mercedes is doing. I got justified glares from the people who swerved to avoid me, likely checking if I was on my phone or falling asleep at the wheel, neither of which was true. (In fact, I focus more when Driver+ is activated.) Such lights could help them decide how close to drive to me (e.g., how much they trust assisted driving modes). I, personally, would maintain a greater distance from vehicles in an assisted mode.

Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow that's scary. I've had a few close calls myself with other cars. So far the Rivian offering has been pretty good but my old Audi almost ran me off a bridge once. Automation stuff isn't ready for prime time imo

Nikhiluor

First Name
Nikhil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Lately I am feeling unpredictability in Driver + mode and itā€™s certainly not that stable anymore on regular roads I drive almost daily. Something has certainly change in last update which is causing this behaviour.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

You're expecting too much from Driver + plain and simple, and unfortunately lots of others are as well. If you're not paying attention and gripping the wheel, this will happen in tons of situations for all cars with "Driver Assist" or whatever each manufacturer calls it.

I've used and continue to use driver + in any of center lanes to do what it does, keep me centered in the lane a the distance behind the car in front of me. I expect when anything but that comes along I need to be in control period. It's tried to follow old lines crisscrossing the lanes, merge in and out lanes, temporary construction makers, and all kinds of other stuff. Since I had the wheel none of it mattered as I wouldn't let the car do its stupidity and it would just turn off driver +.

Any accident using driver + where the car attempts stupidity is still the drivers fault and the video evidence the car would provide would prove it.

Sponsored

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I was just in a road trip and used Driver + a lotā€¦ and agree that you need to always be ready to take over. I noticed it did not like curves to the right, esp if there was an exit lane on that right way curve. But it also just did some random things now and againā€¦ like suddenly brake when no one was around and cloudy (no direct light to block sensors).

I hope it improves over time, but certainly donā€™t assume itā€™s like self driving. You really need to be ready to take over at any moment.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

There is.
I think OP means an external indicator so other drivers know you are in assisted driving mode. Sort of like a big red ā€œLā€ sticker in the UK to indicate a Learner.

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I think OP means an external indicator so other drivers know you are in assisted driving mode. Sort of like a big red ā€œLā€ sticker in the UK to indicate a Learner.
Exactly, thanks.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Yikes that doesn't sound good at all! I have experienced this behavior in the past. In my case there was a curve in the road and then a break for an exit... Could be left exit or right and the truck would not stay with the turn.

On recent updates in the past couple months though it has not done this again.

Rivian is collecting data on forced disengagements and similar I am sure. The system will continue to improve but it's still very much requires the driver to be attentive and always ready to take control at any time. Thankfully you were able to take over!

I trust the system but curvy roads are clearly a challenge for it. See my i270 challenge video.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Maybe you just need to have better reflexes/pay more attention and take over before the car does crazy things. All of this is pretty predictable.

Indicating to others that youā€™re using assisted driving mode is just a poor excuse to feel like youā€™re not responsible for not paying sufficient attentionā€¦

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lurksalot

First Name
doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Subaru, R1T
Occupation
none
Clubs

Thanks for posting.
I get what you mean about being more focused while using Driver+. I do that too.
I've experienced a few incidents that made me uncomfortable.
One time Highway Assist tried to take an exit off the freeway, so I disengaged. The next time it tried to do the same on a different exit, I let it drive me off the exit. No visual or audible warning. Had to disengage before the experiment got dangerous.
That was about a year ago though, and hasn't happened since.
But like Nikhilour, I've noticed a bit of unpredictability and instability lately.

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
I adore my R1S, but decided to post this in case it helps one person avoid an accident.

While traveling northbound on MoPac in Austin, TX, at approximately 70 mph, I activated Driver+. I was in the left-most non-express lane. The express lane was to my immediate left. As the road curved right, my R1S failed to follow the curve. It started going into the express lane, separated from my lane by chest-height vertical reflectors. Suddenly, Driver+ recognized what it was doing and swerved right, past the lane I was originally in, and into the next lane, causing several other cars to veer around me. This all happened within a few moments with my hands on the wheel. I had to take control of the vehicle and return to my original lane. I'm not sure what Driver+ would have done if I had let it continue making decisions. My family was with me.

As a side note: I wish there were a way to indicate that I was in assisted driving mode, like what Mercedes is doing. I got justified glares from the people who swerved to avoid me, likely checking if I was on my phone or falling asleep at the wheel, neither of which was true. (In fact, I focus more when Driver+ is activated.) Such lights could help them decide how close to drive to me (e.g., how much they trust assisted driving modes). I, personally, would maintain a greater distance from vehicles in an assisted mode.

Hope this helps someone.
Now that you know how bad the vehicle can drive itself why donā€™t you just drive it yourself instead of expecting other drivers to be extra careful around you while you experiment with the vehicleā€™s self-driving.

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Now that you know how bad the vehicle can drive itself why donā€™t you just drive it yourself instead of expecting other drivers to be extra careful around you while you experiment with the vehicleā€™s self-driving.
Why donā€™t you make a productive comment instead of expecting people to tolerate your bull while you experiment with being an ass. Maybe you should get a turquoise light on your head to let people know to avoid you when you do. šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

RivRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
Scarlet A for Assist.

I'm not judging you. "More attentive" sounds like you're trying to do this responsibly.

But are you really going to choose to continue to use it after this experience? If so, can you explain why?

I can't imagine using a function that sent me veering towards a row of land dividers, even relatively tear-away dividers, at extremely high speeds, and then sent me into another lane.

I thought these nannies were just for preventing you crossing lane lines, but it sounds like they're trying to track lanes instead. A technology that's trying to find lanes but consistently makes mistakes seems wildly dangerous to me.

Last edited:

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I like driver+ and use it a lot.
I have found that trying to activate it at a curve or near a merge never works out for my blood pressure.
Iā€™ve found d that waiting until a relatively straight area works much better.
Sponsored