Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
I don't think an EV is for you dude.
Huh? We love it but are terribly bummed we have lost 50 percent range in the cold. Should we not worry about that? I’m just here to help others out with my experiences given we are all in the same boat.
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Huh? We love it but are terribly bummed we have lost 50 percent range in the cold. Should we not worry about that? I’m just here to help others out with my experiences given we are all in the same boat.
I guess I'm more surprised you didn't know the loss of range with EVs in these temps.

Also, as others have said, short rides are the absolute worst in this weather.

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
I guess I'm more surprised you didn't know the loss of range with EVs in these temps.

Also, as others have said, short rides are the absolute worst in this weather.
yes of course I know the range loss, but 47 percent is crazy.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

yes of course I know the range loss, but 47 percent is crazy.
I did a trip from the cabin in Northern MN back home to the Twin Cities on Sunday. I got 1.72 mile/kwh. That isn't a 47% loss. Temps were -12 over night and -5 my entire drive. I was also going 75mph on the highway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
I did a trip from the cabin in Northern MN back home to the Twin Cities on Sunday. I got 1.72 mile/kwh. That isn't a 47% loss. Temps were -12 over night and -5 my entire drive. I was also going 75mph on the highway.
that’s why I’m posting what I’m posting. Perhaps something is up with my vehicle? I’m reporting a 47 percent loss and roughly .50 lower mile/kwh. Even after pre conditioning.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

that’s why I’m posting what I’m posting. Perhaps something is up with my vehicle? I’m reporting a 47 percent loss and roughly .50 lower mile/kwh. Even after pre conditioning.
Could be...maybe keep testing and if you're getting the same results, submit a ticket.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Of course there is a large range hit in cold temps but the 47% figure you “calculated” and keep harping on is some hocus pocus math, as others have mentioned. You said your mile/kwh is down ~.50…47% loss implies you were only getting ~1 mile/kwh in warmer temps. Impressive if true!

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Could be...maybe keep testing and if you're getting the same results, submit a ticket.
I just talked to Rivian, and they said I should expect range reduction of 50 percent.

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Of course there is a large range hit in cold temps but the 47% figure you “calculated” and keep harping on is some hocus pocus math, as others have mentioned. You said your mile/kwh is down ~.50…47% loss implies you were only getting ~1 mile/kwh in warmer temps. Impressive if true!
correct. I am getting between 1.1 and 1.3.

Sponsored

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Absolutely. Lots of documented cases for a decade now of EVs losing up to 50% range in the very worst conditions. That being said, most of the winter should be more like 20-30% range drop.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
correct. I am getting between 1.1 and 1.3.
you get 1.1 to 1.3 when it's warm outside? If so that's really low. Unless there are a lot of very quick trips you should be getting close to 2.0 when it's over 50F. What wheels do you have?

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
you get 1.1 to 1.3 when it's warm outside? If so that's really low. Unless there are a lot of very quick trips you should be getting close to 2.0 when it's over 50F. What wheels do you have?
no, when it’s cold outside. My whole diatribe here is about losing 50 percent range in cold weather, even when pre conditioning. I was surprised to hear Rivian tell me just now I should expect a range of 150/50 percent reduction in cold temps.

When it’s warm, I’m at a respectable 2.1-2.3.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
no, when it’s cold outside. My whole diatribe here is about losing 50 percent range in cold weather, even when pre conditioning. I was surprised to hear Rivian tell me just now I should expect a range of 150/50 percent reduction in cold temps.

When it’s warm, I’m at a respectable 2.1-2.3.
ok that makes sense. I agree with 1.1-1.3 when it's really cold outside and you are making shorter trips. I think that probably gets closer to 1.7-1.9 if you were to use 80-100% of the battery.

OP
OP
Jayhawkeye

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
So do you guys charge to 100 when it’s cold then? I barely made it to work/back then the airport/back one day, and it was a total of 105 miles when I started the day at 80/233 miles.
Sponsored