Sponsored

Excessive parking brake disengagement noise

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Last few weeks, we have had snow and rainy weather- ie just a lot of water. I have been noticing that every morning, when I engage reverse to pull out of the garage, there is a loud metallic noise akin to the parking brakes disengaging. The first few times, I thought it was just the moisture causing this but its persisting. Anyone else have this and any ideas on what it is? It only seems to happen after sitting for several hours and not after you have driven it around for a bit.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sticky brake pads from the electronic brake being left activated for a while. My Fisker Ocean and Polestar 2 also do this.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Can't say I have ever heard that when shifting out of park.

Is it only park to reverse or do you also hear it when you shift from park to Drive?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Can't say I have ever heard that when shifting out of park.

Is it only park to reverse or do you also hear it when you shift from park to Drive?
It's when you start moving the vehicle. The brakes aren't actually applied anymore, but the pads haven't released yet. In the polestar they stick bad enough that it'll deposit pad material on the rotors. So far I haven't noticed this happening on either Rivian. You'd definitely notice the pads leaving material because it causes a terrible braking vibration when the pads skip over the stuck material. In the Rivian it's just a strong pop noise/feel once.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's when you start moving the vehicle. The brakes aren't actually applied anymore, but the pads haven't released yet. In the polestar they stick bad enough that it'll deposit pad material on the rotors. So far I haven't noticed this happening on either Rivian. You'd definitely notice the pads leaving material because it causes a terrible braking vibration when the pads skip over the stuck material. In the Rivian it's just a strong pop noise/feel once.
That makes sense. I do feel a slight pop/ release but I wouldn't say I've ever heard a metallic sound with it.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I love how the solution is to drive forwards, but I have no space to drive forwards in my garage.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Last edited:

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Same as my previous Tesla MYP. Pull fwd, even an inch to release the pressure on the pads then reverse as you pleaseā€¦.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I love how the solution is to drive forwards, but I have no space to drive forwards in my garage.
I reverse in to my parking stall which slopes toward the front of the truck. last couple weeks, first drive definitely feels like the brakes are stuck in place and "break free" on setting out. Not violent, but noticeable.

Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Literally have to pull fwd an inch to free up the padsā€¦.park an inch further back or donā€™t let the noise bother youā€¦it was the same in my previous Tesla MYP

OP
OP

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Thanks. Let me give this 'move forward before reverse' technique a try. The last few days have been moisture free and the noise has not been as severe, so definitely moisture factors into this.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks. Let me give this 'move forward before reverse' technique a try. The last few days have been moisture free and the noise has not been as severe, so definitely moisture factors into this.
It was mostly a joke, but it should reduce the noise slightly since the pads will probably already be at the front of the caliper.

It's definitely caused by moisture. Non-EVs will tend to burn the moisture off because they get the pads hot enough during normal operation. With regen braking, you're basically putting no heat into the brakes during an easy drive. Which is why it tends to persist even after days where there hasn't been moisture.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
We back into the garage and get this noise all the time when going forward. Recently between that noise being extra loud and seeming to come from the DS front and then the truck driving poorly we called support. Well the driving poorly was probably from the nail I had in one tire and the screw in the other. Shout out to Cassidy tires. If you're in Chicago the Cassidy on Western off Belmont was great.

a99ieJem

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Launch Edition
Occupation
Mech. Engr.
Clubs

I've been dealing with this as well. I can't remember if it started after the last update or the fix for the accelerator recall (I have 7xxx VIN). Never an issue before then.

I can say that it has been shocking on some occasions. One time sounded like a couple of slightly offset gunshots (front driver then front passenger wheels).

The loud clunk only happens when reversing out after being parked for more than a few hours...the longer the louder.

I've resorted to the "crawl forward slightly to release" method until I can get to the service appointment next week.
Sponsored